In Defense of Inflamed Rhetoric

This kid is a total paranoid schizophrenic nut job.

His mind created it's own inflamed rhetoric.

He wasn't raised by wolves, Misty. Even if he is hearing voices, they speak English.

It's naive to pretend our love of violent imagery has had no effect on those who suffer mental illnesses.

He wasn't raised by wolves, Misty. Even if he is hearing voices, they speak English.

It's naive to pretend our love of violent imagery has had no effect on those who suffer mental illnesses.

There's no proof he's insane. Just b/c he rambles, doesn't make him insane.

We want him to be insane, that makes it easier on us when we think; "How could a sane person aim at and kill a child?"

Truly good people can't comprehend evil.

We want him to be insane, that makes it easier on us when we think; "How could a sane person aim at and kill a child?"

just to add something, the *alleged* perp has taken the fifth and refused to talk (at least that was the case when i last listenened to the news on my way into work this a.m.) generally insane people don't know to lawyer up.

he's mentally unbalanced, which isn't the same as insane for purposes of criminal law.

i appreciate your points. the only one i'd disagree with is your thinking that the sherrif's comments were the type of thing he is speaking against. identifying a problem is not the same as inflammatory speech. and while he may be wrong about what triggered this guy's violence toward the congress woman, he isn't wrong about the particular problem that exists in Arizona right now and in other places.

So the point of the Slate article is that we shouldnt tell people being hateful to cool it down? Instead we should just listen to be people get worse and worse and worse until it DOES turn into physical violence?

No mothers should cool down their sons.
No fathers should pull daughters away from the friends they are bullying
No police officers should try to get heated people to stop yelling
No teachers should resist if a student yells out whatever he wants in class.

It's all free speech, right?

How about we all speak out when we think something is out of line. In the aggregate, the norm will set itself.

This kid is a paranoid schizophrenic.

His mind creates it's own inflamed rhetoric.

It's an interesting counterpoint to the POV I have taken, Two Thumbs.

I wonder though....what is the value of violent speech? Why should we accept its use by our public figures?

I wonder if shafer would feel the same way if the vitriol were directed at him and his family?

just to add something, the *alleged* perp has taken the fifth and refused to talk (at least that was the case when i last listenened to the news on my way into work this a.m.) generally insane people don't know to lawyer up.

he's mentally unbalanced, which isn't the same as insane for purposes of criminal law.

i appreciate your points. the only one i'd disagree with is your thinking that the sherrif's comments were the type of thing he is speaking against. identifying a problem is not the same as inflammatory speech. and while he may be wrong about what triggered this guy's violence toward the congress woman, he isn't wrong about the particular problem that exists in Arizona right now and in other places.

Gotta admire public peoples ability to keep saying that until he's convicted.

Yeah, the truly nuts want to be thanked for doing crap like this, thinking they saved others somehow.

We're just going to differ on what the Sheriff said.

(on a snicker note; Slate is a liberal site, so the lame stream media agrees with me.)

sheer stupidity is alive and well in Amurka.
No doubt......survival-o'-the-fittest.

We need to make it profitable!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$

I suggest a lottery!! The first-one would be.....$5, per ticket....and, the winner gets to kick-the-crap outta (big, bad) Porky Limbaugh!!!!! :razz:

1197086068917675051egore_Thumb_Up_.svg.med.png

We could pay-off the National Debt in SHORT-ORDER!!!

$$$$

I suggest a lottery!! The first-one would be.....$5, per ticket....and, the winner gets to kick-the-crap outta (big, bad) Porky Limbaugh!!!!! :razz:

Are you aware that you just spouted hate and urged violence against another person?

Good to see you using your free speech.

asshole.

Wait wait...did you just tell him what to say? We can't do that...ever.

Gotta admire public peoples ability to keep saying that until he's convicted.

Yeah, the truly nuts want to be thanked for doing crap like this, thinking they saved others somehow.

We're just going to differ on what the Sheriff said.

(on a snicker note; Slate is a liberal site, so the lame stream media agrees with me.)

notice i put the little asterisk thingys around the word alleged. :)

won't be the first or last thing we disagree on. :thup:

According to the shooter's own youtube channel, from what I saw one of his favorite books was the communist manifesto. What does this have to do with FOX News?

$$$$

Are you aware that you just spouted hate and urged violence against another person?

Good to see you using your free speech.

asshole.
Hell.....I didn't urge anything!!!

My plan would be to spend-whatever-it-takes to WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo:

The only connection to Fox News is that they interviewed the sheriff and coaxed the words they wanted out of him. They wanted to score points against Dems by giving him a chance to spew his shit against Repubs.

They knew what they were doing - and two wrongs don't make a right.

What the sheriff did was far worse...but come on Megyn...you knew better...or your producer did.

Inflammatory speech is when a Liberal says something. When a Conservative says something, it's the exercise of Freedom of Speech.

No Conservative can be held accountable for what he says. And adverse reactions after someone hears his speech is blamed exclusively on the actor, not the pundit. Personal responsibility, doncha know.

According to the shooter's own youtube channel, from what I saw one of his favorite books was the communist manifesto. What does this have to do with FOX News?

He also listed Peter Pan. Nothing he did has anything to do with what anyone else did.

He's a grown man, fully in charge of himself.

He did what he did b/c he wanted to.

If he were to say he killed b/c of Palins crosshairs, then that would be evidence, not proof, that he's nuts.

What was the name of the nut that shot Reagan to impress Jodi Foster?
If he was insane. Why'd he do time? and how did Foster get more work?

The only connection to Fox News is that they interviewed the sheriff and coaxed the words they wanted out of him. They wanted to score points against Dems by giving him a chance to spew his shit against Repubs.

They knew what they were doing - and two wrongs don't make a right.

What the sheriff did was far worse...but come on Megyn...you knew better...or your producer did.

So the Sheriff lied to the public and only FOX called him on it and that pisses you off?

he lied and got treated like liars should be.

Come on now... be honest with yourself.

Did Megyn know this sheriff was making this political? She or her producer did.
Did they ASK him his opinion on camera? Yes, she did.
Is Fox right-leaning? Of course it is.

So with that simple thought experiment...we know that Fox/Megyn Kelly knew what they were going to get and pushed it further. They sat in a room and said "ooh boy we got him now. this is going to make the left look baaad."

And for the record...go back to the interview. She asked him for his opinion. I heard the entire thing again TWICE on local talk radio so I know what happened. She wanted his opinion...and now you're denigrating the man for giving it? That's not fair, really is it?

Him politicizing the deaths before the interview...totally evil, corrupt, and ridiculously bad.
What Fox did...not as bad...but they are definitely using it to score points.

If you can't admit that...well then, you're not being honest with yourself.

He also listed Peter Pan. Nothing he did has anything to do with what anyone else did.

He's a grown man, fully in charge of himself.

He did what he did b/c he wanted to.

If he were to say he killed b/c of Palins crosshairs, then that would be evidence, not proof, that he's nuts.

What was the name of the nut that shot Reagan to impress Jodi Foster?
If he was insane. Why'd he do time? and how did Foster get more work?

Exactly the guy is a lone nutjob.

FOX News is guilty of nothing. Sarah Palin is guilty of nothing. Anyone who wants to use this to demonize one political group is taking advantage of a tragedy which is sickening.

New Topics

Forum List

Back