In California, some public schools are designating some rooms as prayer rooms for Muslims

This is from the San Francisco affiliate of PBS. It says that some public schools in California are setting up prayer rooms for Muslims.

I'm no constitutional scholar, but it seems to me that this is clear a violation of the first amendment.

California Schools Prepare for Thousands of Afghan Refugee Students | KQED

California Schools Prepare for Thousands of Afghan Refugee Students

By Diana Lambert

September 21, 2021

In California, home to the largest number of Afghan refugees in the country, school officials are preparing for an influx of students who fled Afghanistan with their families after the Taliban seized power in the country last month.

Schools are especially busy in Sacramento and Fremont, which have two of the largest Afghan communities in the state. Over 40% of the nation’s Afghan refugees have resettled in the Sacramento region in recent years, according to Jessie Tientcheu, chief executive officer of Opening Doors, a resettlement agency based in Sacramento.

Elk Grove Unified School District began offering culturally appropriate meals and setting aside rooms in many of its middle and high schools for prayer during Muslim holidays in preparation for the additional Afghan students it expects in the next month. San Juan Unified is offering Saturday school for English learners, and Fremont Unified is planning to hire more translators.
There's an affliction among Democrats that makes them think non-Christian religions are less delusional than Christianity, just because Christians have a lot of power here and use it to attack other religions. But in this case, our stupid country obliterated Afghan refugees' homes and lives for 20 years. They deserve any bones we can throw their way for a while IMO.

If the room is also available for prayer for others, it’s perfectly allowable.
Well...

Morally?

Yes. :)

Legally?

It's a problem. :(

If the room/s is/are available for atheists, agnostics, Cerealites, video gamers, readers, skate punks & so forth, it's okay.

My club is equal to your club.

:)

Fifty years ago when I was first in Turkey, I heard the call to prayer at sundown. Islam is the the only religion I know of that has set times for prayer, except for Jews beginning the Sabbath at sundown on Friday. This tradition was set down centuries ago. I've heard Christians claiming that they "can't pray" or are not allowed to pray but that's BS because Christianity has no set times for prayer and these people were just trying to call attention to themselves at some public event, like they have to pray because it's a town-council meeting, a football game, or the second act of Hamlet.
The Muslim prayer in question can be skipped.

looks like you dont give a shit about 1st amendment freedom of religion, or freedom from religion.

this shit was taken care of in 2017, old news

All-purpose rooms are cool beanz.

“We are grateful for Frisco ISD's prompt response and have been in contact with their attorneys. They assured us today that students of all faith, or no faith, may now use this meeting room during non-instructional time on a first-come, first-served basis for student-led activities. Religious liberty is a cornerstone of our society and we are glad that students at Frisco ISD may practice their faith in accordance with their beliefs.”

As long as all receive broad/general consideration, I see no issue.

You don't have to call it an animal sacrifice, Rice Krispies or prayer break - you can't in most cases actually - just make sure everyone gets to do what they want for the same amount of time. :)
We agree on something? F’n amazeballs!

All-purpose rooms are cool beanz.

“We are grateful for Frisco ISD's prompt response and have been in contact with their attorneys. They assured us today that students of all faith, or no faith, may now use this meeting room during non-instructional time on a first-come, first-served basis for student-led activities. Religious liberty is a cornerstone of our society and we are glad that students at Frisco ISD may practice their faith in accordance with their beliefs.”

Equal consideration to all faiths is essential. For those students who don’t wish to pray, they can stay in the classroom and study or go for a walk. Fair?

The Muslim prayer in question can be skipped.
Why should it have to be? A designated prayer space for Muslims is a reasonable accommodation of a known religious requirement, a concept that is embedded in our laws. But it applies only to religious requirements, not voluntary actions that can be done at other times in other places, and the accommodation may not be disruptive.

Why should it have to be? A designated prayer space for Muslims is a reasonable accommodation of a known religious requirement, a concept that is embedded in our laws. But it applies only to religious requirements, not voluntary actions that can be done at other times in other places, and the accommodation may not be disruptive.
So a prayer room for Christians get the same?

Equal consideration to all faiths is essential. For those students who don’t wish to pray, they can stay in the classroom and study or go for a walk. Fair?
Equal consideration to all claims for room time for any legal purpose is essential; this is fair.

Why should it have to be?
It can be skipped, or not.
A designated prayer space for Muslims is a reasonable accommodation of a known religious requirement, a concept that is embedded in our laws.
A designated space for ANY legal student purpose; no one should receive special treatment or slight.
But it applies only to religious requirements, not voluntary actions that can be done at other times in other places, and the accommodation may not be disruptive.
See above.

Can't have it both ways, if Muslims get a space then Christians, Buddhist, etc get the same

Not rocket science

These Christians weren't afforded reasonable accommodations and were suspended.

The school district will owe the students a ton of money after the court case.

New Topics

Forum List

Back