In an effort to help feed those in need, community fridges are on the rise in Boston

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On the corner of Centre Street and Forbes Street in Jamaica Plain, a spray-painted refrigerator sits on the sidewalk. The words “free food” are written across the top freezer in white letters; underneath that in Spanish, “comida gratis.”

The fridge has stood in front of D’Friends barbershop since September 4, after a group of organizers began a grassroots initiative to launch community fridges throughout Boston. Open the fridge door on any given day and you’ll find cartons of milk, bunches of kale, apples, tortillas, cans of beans, crackers, and pre-made meals. A sign taped to the side lists the fridge rules: Anyone can take from or give to the fridge. Rescued food is best. Produce must be clean and in good condition. And prepared food must contain a label listing the ingredients, when it was made, and an estimated expiration date.

Look! People who don't suck!! And they are everywhere!

And that's a bit much. I don't know how to take that. Feels weird.

Last edited:
The fridge has stood in front of D’Friends barbershop
The hair cuttings in the food are unsanitary. Much food is served in any given city, and even much free food for the poor, but the professional skinheads and learned toothpullers will have to stay away from the serving line.

1601093835396.png

What happens when the countries distribution system breaks down because of the riots and there's no food to put in the fridge in these big cities?

*****SMILE*****

:)

With all the free stuff being given away I find it hard to believe anyone goes hungry,,,,,,,MN is chock full of em. I sometimes wonder how much they are abused by people to lazy to pay

To be fair, I don't know of any around here and I spend most of my week days traveling all over my state. I live a couple of blocks away from a food pantry that now has lines that go around the block. They were a unique place as they were the first in this city to bring in fresh foods and carry meat. Someone broke in and stole the meat not too long ago.

But, yep. Too lazy to pay or taking it and selling it.

On the corner of Centre Street and Forbes Street in Jamaica Plain, a spray-painted refrigerator sits on the sidewalk. The words “free food” are written across the top freezer in white letters; underneath that in Spanish, “comida gratis.”

The fridge has stood in front of D’Friends barbershop since September 4, after a group of organizers began a grassroots initiative to launch community fridges throughout Boston. Open the fridge door on any given day and you’ll find cartons of milk, bunches of kale, apples, tortillas, cans of beans, crackers, and pre-made meals. A sign taped to the side lists the fridge rules: Anyone can take from or give to the fridge. Rescued food is best. Produce must be clean and in good condition. And prepared food must contain a label listing the ingredients, when it was made, and an estimated expiration date.

Look! People who don't suck!! And they are everywhere!

And that's a bit much. I don't know how to take that. Feels weird.
Sounds like a good way to get poisoned...but...any port in a storm, I reckon.

Personally, I don't even trust the folks who make food for a living to be hygienic.

Forum List

Back