CDZ In all fairness; Covid vs. Air Pollution deaths

Agit8r

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2010
I do not mean to minimize the loss of 528.000 Americans to COVID19, but it is worth noting that over 200,000 folks die prematurely every year as a result of air pollution that meets EPA regulatory standards

Does a one-time pandemic deserve such a great expenditure of federal funds when there are negligible safeguards for the vulnerable the rest of the time. Or would we all be better served by that expendature going toward removing/reducing the ever-present threat that shortens the lives of the same sorts of folks?

Source cited: Around 200,000 Americans die every year from air pollution that meets EPA standard

Do you really believe 200,000 Americans die of air pollution a year? Show me the death certificates. Don't be a rube. Do like trump. Quietly get the vaccine without telling anybody and live to down play the Covid19 pandemic to the other rubes to prove what kind of guy you are.

Do you really believe 200,000 Americans die of air pollution a year? Show me the death certificates. Don't be a rube. Do like trump. Quietly get the vaccine without telling anybody and live to down play the Covid19 pandemic to the other rubes to prove what kind of guy you are.
if he believes 528K people died from covid he will believe anything

Good point. Perhaps it's time to create higher standards for air quality. Something is very wrong if that many people die from air pollution. I say make the standards even more rigid. Clean air is vital pollution is not necessary to levels where it makes people sick.

Again, not playing down anything. As someone who is in a high risk category for COVID19, I am also at a hightened risk from air pollutants.

As much as I appreciate those things that many individuals and state governments are doing to prevent the spread, I notice also that the federal response has been mostly to hand out lots of money to the wealthy and to priotitize the distribution of vaccines to states that have acted recklessly throughout.

It seems that a one-time emergency is an opportunity for all the evildoers to get their beaks wet. But what will they do to preserve the at-risk folks when this temproary crisis is over?

And yet, if you truly believe that many of those folks died from other causes, air pollution is the most obvious other culprit. Because those who are highly vulnerable to the one tend to be be vulnerable to the other.

And yet, if you truly believe that many of those folks died from other causes, air pollution is the most obvious other culprit. Because those who are highly vulnerable to the one tend to be be vulnerable to the other.
could be,, but what you gonna do about it other than kill off a large part of the population??

cant live your life in fear forever,,

Again, not playing down anything. As someone who is in a high risk category for COVID19, I am also at a hightened risk from air pollutants.

As much as I appreciate those things that many individuals and state governments are doing to prevent the spread, I notice also that the federal response has been mostly to hand out lots of money to the wealthy and to priotitize the distribution of vaccines to states that have acted recklessly throughout.
BTW. We live in a small city with in mid-south with relatively low air pollution, though relatively high humidity. Air pollution in this country no where near the levels of the 70s/80s. We vacation at ocean beaches in summer and rocky mountains in winter. Spring/Summer I kayak. Air pollution is less now than in years past, but amount of litter and trash on some of the back country whitewater is appalling.
It seems that a one-time emergency is an opportunity for all the evildoers to get their beaks wet. But what will they do to preserve the at-risk folks when this temproary crisis is over?
Supposedly, I too am in an at risk group, over 66, retired and a 2/3 pack a day smoker. Pretty well used to the the riche wetting their beaks via the two parties in control at the time. Being only 66, I am not eligible for the vaccine around here and cheaper for me to wait and continue taking precautions. Already had it once (early in the pandemic), supposedly. Precautions working well since that time. Will continue with precautions, and resume normal living under the new paradigm, retirement leisure activities with precautions. Best of luck to you and yours. :)

Last edited:

could be,, but what you gonna do about it other than kill off a large part of the population??

People can pollute less. The air affects everyone. It isn't neatly constrainable to one particular neighborhood. It may affect you negatively one day as well, and in fact it may well already have.

People can pollute less. The air affects everyone. It isn't neatly constrainable to one particular neighborhood. It may affect you negatively one day as well, and in fact it may well already have.
so worrying about it is useless,,,

and we are reducing the pollutants and getting better everyday,,

so worrying about it is useless,,,

and we are reducing the pollutants and getting better everyday,,

Not really though

Probably has. Mind you I am anti-air pollution, as I remember coming over the mountain into Bermingham, AL during the late 70s. Though still a problem in many places, It is definitely gotten a lot better. If unsure or do not clearly remember the 60s, 70s or 80s air quality, try watching re-runs of Dragnet or Adam-12 compared to last two seasons of 911 filmed in L.A., and you will see a fairly stark difference. We have been going in the correct direction with reducing air pollution, though we should keep it up. Biden has already taken steps to correct trump dismantling standards. And Guess what. All the outcry of that era fighting against the changes that led to this point, saying it would kill our economy have proven to have been bullsh#t.

Probably has. Mind you I am anti-air pollution, as I remember coming over the mountain into Bermingham, AL during the late 70s. Though still a problem in many places, It is definitely gotten a lot better. If unsure or do not clearly remember the 60s, 70s or 80s air quality, try watching re-runs of Dragnet or Adam-12 compared to last two seasons of 911 filmed in L.A., and you will see a fairly stark difference. We have been going in the correct direction with reducing air pollution, though we should keep it up. Biden has already taken steps to correct trump dismantling standards. And Guess what. All the outcry of that era fighting against the changes that led to this point, saying it would kill our economy have proven to have been bullsh#t.

yes. there is less heavy soot in most places. Unfortunately the smaller (pM2.5) do a great deal of damage as well. They go from the lungs to bloodstream, and increase cardiovascular problems as well. It is not only those of us with lung issues who are affected by the manace.

If only we could trust industry to do the right thing when it comes to pollution. If not for regulation you can imagine what our air and water would be and the reason is that we must allow them to create their record profits.

If there’s one truth of life that the leftist MSM can’t wrap their head around, it’s that people die, and the fact that it happens is not an unprecedented shocking death in all cases that they choose to highlight

What makes you think this is a one time virus? Or that by ignoring it that it will by magic go away? That the new more deadly strains wont grow?

Forum List

Back