In 1943 he joined the Canadian Air Force, serving as a flying instructor during WWII

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
1719759826.jpg

The death has taken place of one of Nenagh best known characters, veterinary Jack (Ginger) Powell, who was in his 102nd year. Mr Powell, who lived in Ballinaclough, died last Friday and his funeral will be held this Friday from St Mary’s Church of Ireland Church, Nenagh

Nenagh says farewell to vet Jack Powell aged 101 - Tipperary Star

One of the coolest characters I've ever met in my life was a WWII RCAF Lancaster bomber pilot from Vancouver who was at the Nanton, Alberta Lancaster Bomber Museum in 2000 ( now called The Bomber Command Museum of Canada) when my wife and I were on a three-month RV tour of Western Cananda. The museum was being officially dedicated that weekend by former Canadian Prime Minister, Brian Mulroney, who also had one other long overdue order of business to take care of.

He presented pilot's wings to a group of former Lancaster Bomber pilots who because they never went to flight school, never got their wings. That didn't stop them from taking over the left seat after OJT and becoming aircraft commanders who flew as many as 60 bombing missions over Germany. "Oh goodie" said the old timer from Vancouver, "I'm finally a pilot."

Bomber Command Museum of Canada

New Topics

Forum List

Back