Immigration reform? Don't you mean amnesty for MILLIONS of illegals?

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Climate bill placed on hold over Senate dispute - Yahoo! News

Good both ideas suck. We do not support cap and trade and doing a limited version is not the answer.

As for Immigration, amnesty did not work in 86 and the American people are AGAINST another amnesty bill. We gained 20 MILLION illegals because of the first amnesty. Might as well just annex Mexico if we amnesty 1/5 of their population as legal.

I'm for closing the borders. I'm also for immigration reform, meaning a rational immigration policy. With the economy in the condition it is, this would be a time of contraction if we had a good program in place. With that said, if the economy was chugging along, seems to me that based on the past several decades the rules that pretty much excluded those with less than degrees were not allowed in, while demand for services for those willing to do physical labor made a mockery of the laws.

The US demand for domestics, agricultural workers, service people was high, while those willing to take the jobs from within was not meeting that demand, creating a market for illegals. Perhaps addressing immigration quotas, minimum wage laws or some new code on wages/age/time in country should be married? This might help bring workers in, help them help destitute family members back home, provide safeguards against exploitation, and foster skills necessary for assimilation.

Damn, Annie, did you get hit on the head? You almost sound like a liberal.

Ravi, it almost sounds like you've not read my stands on immigration in the past several years. I'm saying nothing here I've not said lots of times. BTW, contrary to media and political spin from both right and left, I think most Americans agree with me to a bit more or less.

We've never been an easy country for newcomers in social sense, thrown up barriers based on prejudiced against all new groups, however the opportunities and eventual acceptance make it worth it or at least have in the past. However it's been easier to succeed here than any other country I know of, for immigrants. The only exception for too long was blacks, but they didn't come here voluntarily. Even there though, the past 50 years have seen vast strides in opportunities and dwindling of prejudice.

When the US no longer welcomes legal immigrants, we will have changed as a country. I fear that the open border has created more xenophobia here than would normally occur. It's the fault of the Feds, led by both parties for many years.

No, you're right, I obviously haven't read your views on immigration.

Sensible.

Now let us just hope that the politicians come up with some suggestions instead of acting like Lyndsey Graham and taking their ball and going home in a snit.

Or like RGS and whining that the only possible thing that will happen is amnesty.

I'm for closing the borders. I'm also for immigration reform, meaning a rational immigration policy. With the economy in the condition it is, this would be a time of contraction if we had a good program in place. With that said, if the economy was chugging along, seems to me that based on the past several decades the rules that pretty much excluded those with less than degrees were not allowed in, while demand for services for those willing to do physical labor made a mockery of the laws.

The US demand for domestics, agricultural workers, service people was high, while those willing to take the jobs from within was not meeting that demand, creating a market for illegals. Perhaps addressing immigration quotas, minimum wage laws or some new code on wages/age/time in country should be married? This might help bring workers in, help them help destitute family members back home, provide safeguards against exploitation, and foster skills necessary for assimilation.

I thank you very much. I thank you because you are a republican who is willing to point out that the immigrants are not the ones at fault here. Anyone who directs their anger at people who have undergone extreme measures to support their families, are hypocrites who are just scared of loosing their job to someone who is harder working than them. But this to is invalid, as most immigrants from latin america (which I am assuming is the region whom you have a problem with) come and work very menial jobs that most Americans would not dream of taking. If we think our country is so great, why should we deny those who want to work hard to achieve the hope they know can be found in the U.S. Who are we, who are born into the American privilege and haven't had to work to get our rights (yes our forefathers/mothers bled for their liberties, but we haven't), to accuse hardworking immigrants who live in what we would consider poor conditions, as leeches to the economy. Immigrants are not leaches, they are foundation of this country. To deny immigrants into our economy is morally and historically hypocritical, and it is also economically unsound.
I understand that there are a lot of Illegal immigrants, and I admit that coming into this country illegally is illegal (as that is the point), but what I don't agree with is why illegal immigrants are such a nuisance. Economically they are great for our country, plus since they are illegal they can't get social security or medicare/medicaid, yet they still pay sales tax and plenty of other taxes that they have no say in. So please answer WHY immigrants are bad for our country?

New Topics

Forum List

Back