Immigration and Iraq Are Tied Together, It's Ugly

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Screw the GOP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq\\\

GOP support for Iraq war slips

By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer 53 minutes ago

Republican support for the Iraq war is slipping by the day.

After four years of combat and more than 3,560 U.S. deaths, two Republican senators previously reluctant to challenge President Bush on the war announced they could no longer support the deployment of 157,000 troops and asked the president to begin bringing them home.

"We must not abandon our mission, but we must begin a transition where the Iraqi government and its neighbors play a larger role in stabilizing Iraq," Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, wrote in a letter to Bush.

Voinovich, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, released his letter Tuesday — one day after Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, the panel's top Republican, said in a floor speech that Bush's strategy was not working.

"The longer we delay the planning for a redeployment, the less likely it is to be successful," said Lugar, who plans to meet later this week with Stephen Hadley, Bush's national security adviser.

Lugar and Voinovich are not the first GOP members to call for U.S. troops to leave Iraq. Sens. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, Olympia Snowe of Maine and Gordon Smith of Oregon made similar remarks earlier this year. But their public break is significant because it raises the possibility that Senate Democrats could muster the 60 votes needed to pass legislation that would call for Bush to bring troops home.

Their remarks also are an early warning shot to a lame duck president that GOP support for the war is thinning. The administration is not expected until September to say whether a recent troop buildup in Iraq is working.

It's not lame duck, it's an egomaniac that wants his 'legacy', screw that.

This War in Iraq is less popular now, than the Vietnam war at it's lowest point, I think:

Support for Iraq War reaches a new low

“A new low of 30 percent of Americans say they support the U.S. war in Iraq

most Americans say they don’t believe it is morally justified,” a new CNN poll finds.

Nearly two-thirds of those polled want withdrawal of U.S. troops to begin — either in part or in total. … Asked whether the U.S. action in Iraq is morally justified, 54 percent said no, versus 42 percent who said yes and 4 percent with no opinion. […]

Support for President Bush matched his lowest rank ever in a CNN poll, with 32 percent saying they approve the way he is handling his job, and 66 percent saying they disapprove, according to the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/06/26/poll-support-for-iraq-war-reaches-new-low/

we do not and should not ever fight a war based on its poll numbers. We fight a war, because we think its the right thing to do, or atleast thats how it should be.

I have mixed feelings about iraq. I feel we are doing the right thing by being there, and giving the iraqis a chance at freedom, but at some point, I dont want a timetable, and i havent decided when yet, in my own mind, if iraq wont stop killing each other/ our guys, then screw them.

This War in Iraq is less popular now, than the Vietnam war at it's lowest point, I think:

Polls are a reflection or measure of citizen's consent of the war.

We can't, and don't fight wars without the consent of the people. That's the way the founders set it up, and intended it.

As for a war being "right". The reason for going to war should be self-evident to the american people. That's also how the founders specifically intended it. A war shouldn't have to be sold to the public, nor ever-changing reasons given to the public for being in a war.

I understand what youre saying, and i agree with you up until a point.

Americans should not be ignored, if they disapprove of a war, but what if they had disapproved of wwII or the civil war?. what then?. and as citizens, dont we have recourse, by hiring and firing politicians via the ballot box. I find your insight insightful, i simply wish to discuss it further.

Polls are a reflection or measure of citizen's consent of the war.

We can't, and don't fight wars without the consent of the people. That's the way the founders set it up, and intended it.

As for a war being "right". The reason for going to war should be self-evident to the american people. That's also how the founders specifically intended it. A war shouldn't have to be sold to the public, nor ever-changing reasons given to the public for being in a war.

the way a poll is worded, can have signifance, take the immigration debate, fence, and wall, can get a different reaction from voters. So you cant put all you eggs in one poll, rather, in an average of different polls.

Im not saying iraq is popular, only saying, one poll doesnt make a break anything sir :)

The whole emigration thing is only ugly if you let it become ugly.

To ME it's black, and white, or brown and white, what ever lights your fire.

Like everything, its getting down to the basics, there are already laws on the books, enforce THOSE laws across the board, no exceptions.

Lawyers run this country, plain and simple, this whole mess drops into their laps.

Turn what is simple into something that is complicated, which is the mantra of the lawyers.

I can't think of a single problem that was every TRULY solved by a group of lawyers, can you?

What a strange time we live in......................:eusa_hand:

Forum List

Back