Zone1 I'm Confused About Gluttony

Why is eating too much a sin? Who does it hurt? Other than the fact that it'll make you fat of course.

Gluttony mentioned as a sin typically comes from the Catholic teaching of the "7 deadly sins", which is not even Biblical. The closest anyone can muster is from Proverbs 6, which says:

There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Nothing there about gluttony. The Christian teaching would be that our bodies are temples of God, and to feed it beyond need is wasteful and damaging. But as to it being "7 deadly"? Nah.

This happened to me ... she got convicted of fraud and spent a few months in jail ... neither I nor the State got any of the money back out of her ... I did open my home to the child, under the condition he follows his probation to the letter ... didn't happen and he went back to juvy on a PV ...
Ouch. That sucks. I'm glad she was convicted. There is that.

It is absolutely crazy to me that there are women who feel that they are entitled to someone/anyone's money and choosing that over identifying the biological father. Medical reasons alone. It is tragic for a lost relationship.

I don't understand the need to lie as an adult.

It is absolutely crazy to me that there are women who feel that they are entitled to someone/anyone's money and choosing that over identifying the biological father. Medical reasons alone. It is tragic for a lost relationship.

“Paternity fraud is very common in the United States and around the world. According to the American Association of Blood Banks, a research report was submitted by accredited parentage laboratories. The results showed three out of every ten men tested were found not to be the biological father.”

“Paternity fraud is very common in the United States and around the world. According to the American Association of Blood Banks, a research report was submitted by accredited parentage laboratories. The results showed three out of every ten men tested were found not to be the biological father.”
Yep. OTOH, the number of men that do not want to clear up any confusion is huge because they are afraid of having to pay child support. I firmly believe that before money is taken out that a paternity test be taken. If the mother has to seek state aid then she has to give off the names because the state is paying for services that they believe would be handled by the other parent's financial obligation. She has to provide those names.

With that in mind, many women would claim this father unknown or give off random names but dad was still in the picture. This was very much true if they had a criminal record and were unemployed or working under the table. So a guy would have six kids but couldn't get a legit job because the state would step in and garnish wages and he would never be able to pay rent.

I used to hunt down putative fathers. Sometimes I was successful and sometimes it was a nightmare. The number of men that didn't want anything to do with their children or didn't want to find out was overwhelming.

MONEY ... or should I say EASY MONEY ... this was all before the 1996 Welfare Reforms ... we really did have women out there pumping out children for the increased welfare benefits ... even the eugenics programs we had didn't help ... Roe v. Wade was the only tool we had to keep these women from breeding themselves to death ...

The Old Testament gives death to adulterers ... if you're getting some outside marriage, you deserve the diseases ... and Child Support Enforcement up your ass ... "all God's judgements are rightous and true" ...

MONEY ... or should I say EASY MONEY ... this was all before the 1996 Welfare Reforms ... we really did have women out there pumping out children for the increased welfare benefits ... even the eugenics programs we had didn't help ... Roe v. Wade was the only tool we had to keep these women from breeding themselves to death ...

The Old Testament gives death to adulterers ... if you're getting some outside marriage, you deserve the diseases ... and Child Support Enforcement up your ass ... "all God's judgements are rightous and true" ...
There is such a thing as generational poverty. I'm not a proponent of any of the eugenics programs. Well, I don't know about death but I have zero love for adulterers. If you are married and you don't like that then get out.

Anyone who votes for a Democrat is a glutton for punishment.

Thank god you are here to make sure that this is political.

Nothing there about gluttony. The Christian teaching would be that our bodies are temples of God, and to feed it beyond need is wasteful and damaging. But as to it being "7 deadly"? Nah.

I think the only deadly one is the unforgiveable one.

Gluttony mentioned as a sin typically comes from the Catholic teaching of the "7 deadly sins", which is not even Biblical. The closest anyone can muster is from Proverbs 6, which says:

There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

I'm actually very surprised to hear you say that. There are plenty of scriptures about gluttony.... Proverbs 23:2, Proverbs 28:7, Proverbs 23:20-21, Philippians 3:19, Deuteronomy 21:20, Ezekiel 16:49, and more.

In addition to that, there are countless scriptures about self-control and not being self-indulgent and focused only on our own fleshly desires above all else. To say that gluttony being a sin is just a Catholic teaching is simply not true.

I'm actually very surprised to hear you say that. There are plenty of scriptures about gluttony.... Proverbs 23:2, Proverbs 28:7, Proverbs 23:20-21, Philippians 3:19, Deuteronomy 21:20, Ezekiel 16:49, and more.

In addition to that, there are countless scriptures about self-control and not being self-indulgent and focused only on our own fleshly desires above all else. To say that gluttony being a sin is just a Catholic teaching is simply not true.

The only NT verse there--"their god is their stomach"--is not in reference to gluttony. It means they are ruled by earthly things.

I'll be honest. You are very into veganism and whatnot and I suspect are attempting to tie that to Biblical teachings on gluttony. Gluttony is greed and never a good idea in the Bible, but is certainly, and by far, not one of the biggest sins either in the OT or the NT.

Paul says outright in 1 Cor 6 that sexual immorality is a grave sin. Certainly a lot more grave than gluttony.

All of the Seven Deadly Sins are forgivable. Greed is one of the Seven and has it's own category.

seven deadly sins, also called seven capital sins or seven cardinal sins, in Roman Catholic theology, the seven vices that spur other sins and further immoral behaviour. First enumerated by Pope Gregory I (the Great) in the 6th century and elaborated in the 13th century by St. Thomas Aquinas, they are (1) vainglory, or pride, (2) greed, or covetousness, (3) lust, or inordinate or illicit sexual desire, (4) envy, (5) gluttony, which is usually understood to include drunkenness, (6) wrath, or anger, and (7) sloth. Each of these can be overcome with the seven corresponding virtues of (1) humility, (2) charity, (3) chastity, (4) gratitude, (5) temperance, (6) patience, and (7) diligence.

The seven deadly sins can be thought of as dispositions toward sin and separation from God. Lust, for example, could result in adultery, which is a mortal sin, or could lead to somewhat less intentional immoral thoughts that would be classified as venial sins. The deadly sins were a popular theme in the morality plays, literature, and art of the Middle Ages in Europe.

Now, I am not Christian and my path in some ways is a bit more stringent in some areas and less so in others. I have been celibate for 10 years. Because people. I give people 1.5 stars and strongly do not recommend. Also a soul sucking job. I am heterosexual. I don't care what other people do providing it's between human adults that are capable of making a consensual choice. There will never be a point where I will need to confirm or deny to Spirit what Sue did on 10/14/17 and what the hell did I do about it. However, Christianity can be a bit tricky on the surface.

Adulteries. There are some strange situations out there. If you have a "Christian wife" that recognizes that her partner is really for the streets but she stays because of the money and she sets up threesomes to keep him, where does that lie? What if that money has been helpful for her mother as well. Her intentions in trying to keep him? His intentions? The mother's intentions? It's more acceptable for her to be bisexual than him. She could always hold it over his head. OTOH, she has opened the door for him to treat her anyway that he wants to.

If you have a guy (or woman) that is HIV positive but doesn't tell anyone and then is intentionally infecting others then where does he or she wind up in that above situation? This individual infects one of the above parties after they have had sex in jail or maybe in that 3 some. The male or husband in the above situation has been living in fear because homosexuality has been defined as one act since the Kinsey reports and he is now questioning his own sexuality. A lot of denial because he will be condemned by his community as they are vehemently against it.

For each of the individuals they are a main character in their life and a bit player in another's life. Even the community at large that has condemned homosexuality to such a degree that the man is in fear and denial plays a part. I can absolutely see how one of the Seven can lead to another. Intention is huge. It's requires accountability and constant self examination.

I shouldn't have to say this but people. In no way, shape or form would I imply that this is what Sue was up to at any time.

All of the Seven Deadly Sins are forgivable. Greed is one of the Seven and has it's own category.

seven deadly sins, also called seven capital sins or seven cardinal sins, in Roman Catholic theology, the seven vices that spur other sins and further immoral behaviour. First enumerated by Pope Gregory I (the Great) in the 6th century and elaborated in the 13th century by St. Thomas Aquinas, they are (1) vainglory, or pride, (2) greed, or covetousness, (3) lust, or inordinate or illicit sexual desire, (4) envy, (5) gluttony, which is usually understood to include drunkenness, (6) wrath, or anger, and (7) sloth. Each of these can be overcome with the seven corresponding virtues of (1) humility, (2) charity, (3) chastity, (4) gratitude, (5) temperance, (6) patience, and (7) diligence.

The seven deadly sins can be thought of as dispositions toward sin and separation from God. Lust, for example, could result in adultery, which is a mortal sin, or could lead to somewhat less intentional immoral thoughts that would be classified as venial sins. The deadly sins were a popular theme in the morality plays, literature, and art of the Middle Ages in Europe.

Now, I am not Christian and my path in some ways is a bit more stringent in some areas and less so in others. I have been celibate for 10 years. Because people. I give people 1.5 stars and strongly do not recommend. Also a soul sucking job. I am heterosexual. I don't care what other people do providing it's between human adults that are capable of making a consensual choice. There will never be a point where I will need to confirm or deny to Spirit what Sue did on 10/14/17 and what the hell did I do about it. However, Christianity can be a bit tricky on the surface.

Adulteries. There are some strange situations out there. If you have a "Christian wife" that recognizes that her partner is really for the streets but she stays because of the money and she sets up threesomes to keep him, where does that lie? What if that money has been helpful for her mother as well. Her intentions in trying to keep him? His intentions? The mother's intentions? It's more acceptable for her to be bisexual than him. She could always hold it over his head. OTOH, she has opened the door for him to treat her anyway that he wants to.

If you have a guy (or woman) that is HIV positive but doesn't tell anyone and then is intentionally infecting others then where does he or she wind up in that above situation? This individual infects one of the above parties after they have had sex in jail or maybe in that 3 some. The male or husband in the above situation has been living in fear because homosexuality has been defined as one act since the Kinsey reports and he is now questioning his own sexuality. A lot of denial because he will be condemned by his community as they are vehemently against it.

For each of the individuals they are a main character in their life and a bit player in another's life. Even the community at large that has condemned homosexuality to such a degree that the man is in fear and denial plays a part. I can absolutely see how one of the Seven can lead to another. Intention is huge. It's requires accountability and constant self examination.

I shouldn't have to say this but people. In no way, shape or form would I imply that this is what Sue was up to at any time.

Is this about me somehow? Did I miss something?

Why is eating too much a sin? Who does it hurt? Other than the fact that it'll make you fat of course.

Sin is anything that causes a negative outcome. It can cause a negative outcome for you or a negative outcome for someone else.

I don’t know about you but there have been times when I was miserable and said, “dang. I ate too much.” My overeating caused me unnecessary suffering. I won’t use the long term negative effects of overeating because those are too difficult to calculate.

Forum List

Back