I'm back

I've had to delay my flight to China because of a sudden illness. Now I'm stuck in San Francisco for the next week or two convalesing in a hotel room without a friend for 1,000 miles. Fun.
So you made it across country, but now are stuck for a week or two, wihin country?

Hmmm, we have daily flights to China. Why are you 'stuck' for so long?

Kathianne said:
So you made it across country, but now are stuck for a week or two, wihin country?

Hmmm, we have daily flights to China. Why are you 'stuck' for so long?
I left NOLA about 2 weeks ago. At first I was fine, but after a couple of days I wasn't so hot anymore. At first I thought I had some sort of cold, and just wrote it off. But, after flying from Boston to San Fran I basically collapsed in the hotel I was staying at for the night. Apparently I have a mold infection inside my body, spreading at surprisingly rapid pace. The doctors gave me some medicines, and it's apparenty going to take a week or so to recover. I can still go to China if I really wanted to, but this thing is severly hampering my immune system. I'm much more susceptable to diseases and what not. The doctor told me that basically if I went to China with my immune system at the level it is right now there was a good chance I could end up dead (China isn't the most hygeinic place in the world). As such, I'm stuck in my hotel right now, well enough to be alert, but sick enough to not be able to go out and about.

What a terrible thing to happen! Do the Drs know where the infection came from?
I think you made a wise decision to stay put and not travel anymore. China isn't going anyplace.
Take care, listen to the docs and return safely home, healthy.

I think you made a wise decision to stay put and not travel anymore. China isn't going anyplace.

What do you mean? China moves its location everyday;)

Joz said:
Apparently I have some sort of mold inside my body, and it's damaging my immune system. It's probably from being in New Orleans for 3 months.

I'm just somewhat sad because now not only am I not going to have a few days to explore Beijing, I might miss the first few days of classes at the school I'll be attending over there.

Apparently I have some sort of mold inside my body, and it's damaging my immune system. It's probably from being in New Orleans for 3 months.

I'm just somewhat sad because now not only am I not going to have a few days to explore Beijing, I might miss the first few days of classes at the school I'll be attending over there.
I wasn't aware this was for school. And while I understand your disappointment, death sort of puts a damper on things.

I'm sorry you are missing the time there, but health comes first.

Joz said:
I wasn't aware this was for school. And while I understand your disappointment, death sort of puts a damper on things.
Yea, this was supposed to be my junior year (really semester) abroad. I've spent nearly 100 dollars today on phone calls to the university I'm heading to, my school here in the US, and the transfer program. For a while they were saying that if I wasn't in Beijing by Monday they weren't going to let me attend. I've tried to call my regular school to contact them, but they won't call because, despite having an endowment larger than the GDP of most countries, they're too stingy to spend 9 cents a minute on the phone call. I have to call each one up and relay the messages. You'd think they could use emails but no, that'd be to simple. This is getting riddiculous.

I've had to delay my flight to China because of a sudden illness. Now I'm stuck in San Francisco for the next week or two convalesing in a hotel room without a friend for 1,000 miles. Fun.

Isn't it fucking twatful when nobody gives a fuck?:boohoo:

Why anyone would want to study in China is behond my comprehension...unless one would want to learn the fine art of censhorship...or how to dodge tanks between classes...or what fish to use in sushi(never mind thats Japan) afterall China sends it's students to the US to learn High Tech!

Yea, this was supposed to be my junior year (really semester) abroad. I've spent nearly 100 dollars today on phone calls to the university I'm heading to, my school here in the US, and the transfer program. For a while they were saying that if I wasn't in Beijing by Monday they weren't going to let me attend. I've tried to call my regular school to contact them, but they won't call because, despite having an endowment larger than the GDP of most countries, they're too stingy to spend 9 cents a minute on the phone call. I have to call each one up and relay the messages. You'd think they could use emails but no, that'd be to simple. This is getting riddiculous.

I hope you get to feeling better, and that your school can work out the details.

My flight leaves Tueday morning. The doctors have cleared me for then.
archangel said:
Why anyone would want to study in China is behond my comprehension...unless one would want to learn the fine art of censhorship...or how to dodge tanks between classes...or what fish to use in sushi(never mind thats Japan) afterall China sends it's students to the US to learn High Tech!
I've been learning Chinese now for 6 years. I figure that by immersing myself in the country for a few months I'll improve my accent and grammar. Plus, it's a good way to learn the culture, the way things work, and make some contacts. I'm probably going to end up selling my soul and doing IB of VC in Hong Kong or Shanghai after I graduate. Who knows though, I might just keep my current firm going and see where that ends up.

Forum List

Back