I'm a government bureaucrat now so I will continue to work during the Corona virus lockdown

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Lucky me, but I'll be making only half as much money as I was making in the private sector.

Lucky me, but I'll be making only half as much money as I was making in the private sector.

What specifically are you doing for the government? What's your job?

I know a guy right now that works for the government, and he does an identical job to what I do. He's making about 1/3 more money than I make. And he has crazy good benefits. The benefits alone for government workers, is worth about a 25% pay cut.

I know a guy right now that works for the government, and he does an identical job to what I do. He's making about 1/3 more money than I make. And he has crazy good benefits. The benefits alone for government workers, is worth about a 25% pay cut.
I am a contract worker and have low pay and no benefits. Maybe if I stick around long enough, I'll get a permanent job. But now, I'm a temp.

I'm administering Covid-19 virus disaster loans for the Small Business Administration. This job was created through the massive stimulus bill recently passed by Congress.

I am a contract worker and have low pay and no benefits. Maybe if I stick around long enough, I'll get a permanent job. But now, I'm a temp.

I'm administering Covid-19 virus disaster loans for the Small Business Administration. This job was created through the massive stimulus bill recently passed by Congress.

Then that would seem to be a rather impossible comparison. What private sector job, is a Covid-19 virus disaster loan issuer?

You need to at least compare apples to apples here.

Obviously I can't argue with you on this, because I can't compare your job, as a temp employee for a temp position for an emergency fund.

All of the people I know that work for the government... all of them earn more than private sector jobs, and they get crazy good benefits.

Even just comparing the post office to UPS, is ridiculous. Entry level post office job, is $16/hour? UPS starts you off at $13/hour? And you handle way more boxes at UPS, than you do at the post office. You really earn your money at UPS.

And then the post office has insane benefits. 26 days off a year? Plus 10 holidays? Plus a full pension? Plus a retirement account program (TPS or something)?

Government jobs pay a ton for what they are, and have generous benefits.

Then that would seem to be a rather impossible comparison. What private sector job, is a Covid-19 virus disaster loan issuer?

Obviously I can't argue with you on this, because I can't compare your job, as a temp employee for a temp position for an emergency fund.

All of the people I know that work for the government... all of them earn more than private sector jobs, and they get crazy good benefits.

Even just comparing the post office to UPS, is ridiculous. Entry level post office job, is $16/hour? UPS starts you off at $13/hour? And you handle way more boxes at UPS, than you do at the post office. You really earn your money at UPS.

And then the post office has insane benefits. 26 days off a year? Plus 10 holidays? Plus a full pension? Plus a retirement account program (TPS or something)?

I'm not a government employee, I'm an independent contractor.

/—— / Everyone I know who worked at the USPS had a countdown to how many paychecks till they could retire. They all hated the job.

I'm not a government employee, I'm an independent contractor.

Yeah, I gathered that. That was my point. You can't compare the two.

/—— / Everyone I know who worked at the USPS had a countdown to how many paychecks till they could retire. They all hated the job.

That is also true. I actually do know people who love that job.... I do. But the vast majority of people, hate government jobs. They love the pay and benefits, but the job itself usually.... at least in my limited experience talking with people in government, they usually hate it.

And there's a couple for reasons for this. Namely, it's not very fulfilling. And if you think politics in a private company is bad.... yeah... government jobs have internal politics on steroids.

That and honestly, from what I have heard, many government jobs have very little work. And as much as people say "I'd love to get paid to do nothing".... no you wouldn't. Doing nothing sucks. I know this first hand. Being paid, to sit and stare at the clock until it's time to leave... is HORRIFIC. Absolutely horrific. I was much happier when I had work to do, from the moment I walked in, until the moment it was time to leave.

The SBA job will no doubt be very repetitive and boring. But it's better than unemployment, which was the alternative.

New Topics

Forum List

Back