Illinois judge finds Firearm owner card unConstitutional....about time.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
In Illinois, in order to buy a gun, you have to get a Firearm Owners Identification Card.....and pay a fee and go through a background check....

An Illinois judge just declared this UnConstitutional....and it is about freaking time.......

The case of Illinois v. Vivian Claudine Brown been in the state court system for several years, now, and today’s decision is actually the second time that a judge has ruled Brown’s possession of a bolt-action rifle shouldn’t have been a crime, even though she didn’t possess a valid FOID card. Last year the Illinois State Supreme Court declared that the judge had unnecessarily ruled on the constitutionality of the FOID statute and sent the case back down to the Circuit Court for further review.

Well, that review has been made, and once again we have a declaration that the FOID requirement is a violation of the Second Amendment. In a thorough analysis of the state’s FOID law, Judge T. Scott Webb makes the astute observation that under Illinois law no one really has the right to keep and bear arms, even in their home. Instead, everyone is considered a prohibited person unless and until they fork over money to the state for a permission slip. Webb says that the entire process is “inverted,” adding:

The burden should be on the state to demonstrate that a citizen has committed an act thereby disqualifying them from being in the group of people that already possess a Second Amendment right. Instead, the opposite is true. A citizen in the state of Illinois is not born with a Second Amendment right. Nor does that right inure when a citizen turns 18 or 21 years of age. It is a facade. They only gain that right if they pay a $10 fee, complete the proper application, and submit a photograph.
-----------
Even in the best of circumstances, Illinois’ FOID requirement is an egregious abuse of government power, but the issue has become even more acute over the past year as the state has allowed tens of thousands of FOID applications to pile up. It’s taking an average of four months for the Illinois State Police to process a FOID application, which means people trying to exercise their Second Amendment rights are being forced to wait for weeks on end for permission to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

there should be no burden on the citizenry to enjoy those rights

I 100% absolutely agree. First you can't charge people for exercising their rights. Oddly many want to further burden me in exercising my right to vote though.

I 100% absolutely agree. First you can't charge people for exercising their rights. Oddly many want to further burden me in exercising my right to vote though.

How's that ? If you mean voter ID, that isn't a burden since ID is free, and you are simply identifying that you are you.

How's that ? If you mean voter ID, that isn't a burden since ID is free, and you are simply identifying that you are you.

You are insisting I make a special trip to go get one when I already have ID to vote. It's sad how so many do not hold all of the Constitution to the same standard. It's quite like religion in picking and choosing.

You are insisting I make a special trip to go get one when I already have ID to vote. It's sad how so many do not hold all of the Constitution to the same standard. It's quite like religion in picking and choosing.

No......I am not saying that.....your drivers license should be fine. The ones who need voter ID are the imaginary people the democrats keep telling us are too dumb to have any ID of any sort right now....and are too stupid to get an ID in the two years between each election.

No......I am not saying that.....your drivers license should be fine. The ones who need voter ID are the imaginary people the democrats keep telling us are too dumb to have any ID of any sort right now....and are too stupid to get an ID in the two years between each election.

My voters registration card is just fine. No further burden should be placed on me or anyone else just like what is noted in the article.

My voters registration card is just fine. No further burden should be placed on me or anyone else just like what is noted in the article.

Photo ID.......

In Illinois, in order to buy a gun, you have to get a Firearm Owners Identification Card.....and pay a fee and go through a background check....

An Illinois judge just declared this UnConstitutional....and it is about freaking time.......

The case of Illinois v. Vivian Claudine Brown been in the state court system for several years, now, and today’s decision is actually the second time that a judge has ruled Brown’s possession of a bolt-action rifle shouldn’t have been a crime, even though she didn’t possess a valid FOID card. Last year the Illinois State Supreme Court declared that the judge had unnecessarily ruled on the constitutionality of the FOID statute and sent the case back down to the Circuit Court for further review.

Well, that review has been made, and once again we have a declaration that the FOID requirement is a violation of the Second Amendment. In a thorough analysis of the state’s FOID law, Judge T. Scott Webb makes the astute observation that under Illinois law no one really has the right to keep and bear arms, even in their home. Instead, everyone is considered a prohibited person unless and until they fork over money to the state for a permission slip. Webb says that the entire process is “inverted,” adding:

The burden should be on the state to demonstrate that a citizen has committed an act thereby disqualifying them from being in the group of people that already possess a Second Amendment right. Instead, the opposite is true. A citizen in the state of Illinois is not born with a Second Amendment right. Nor does that right inure when a citizen turns 18 or 21 years of age. It is a facade. They only gain that right if they pay a $10 fee, complete the proper application, and submit a photograph.
-----------
Even in the best of circumstances, Illinois’ FOID requirement is an egregious abuse of government power, but the issue has become even more acute over the past year as the state has allowed tens of thousands of FOID applications to pile up. It’s taking an average of four months for the Illinois State Police to process a FOID application, which means people trying to exercise their Second Amendment rights are being forced to wait for weeks on end for permission to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

Illinois, The Land of Lincoln.

-----------

That's...... what? About 50 years overdue?

The right to bear "arms" ie. "carry weapons", that's means I have a right to carry any number of weapons, defensive or offensive. If they subvert that right "that shall not be infringed", they could arrest you for a concealed pocket knife, a heavy stick or a rock in your hand. All they'd need to do is change the legal meaning of the word "arms". If they dumb down the population enough they could get them to believe that they have a constitutional right to wear a sleeveless shirt, but not to carry a pistol.

The right to bear "arms" ie. "carry weapons", that's means I have a right to carry any number of weapons, defensive or offensive. If they subvert that right "that shall not be infringed", they could arrest you for a concealed pocket knife, a heavy stick or a rock in your hand. All they'd need to do is change the legal meaning of the word "arms". If they dumb down the population enough they could get them to believe that they have a constitutional right to wear a sleeveless shirt, but not to carry a pistol.
Don't worry about it....... all the cops are quitting.

So who is going to enforce any of the stupid laws they always want, anyway?

The blade can no longer than 4.5" in Georgia so it can't reach the heart. The 4.5" blade knife easily reaches the throat if you know how to use it.

The blade can no longer than 4.5" in Georgia so it can't reach the heart. The 4.5" blade knife easily reaches the throat if you know how to use it.
Only thing more screwed up, inconsistent, and unconstitutional than gun laws in this country are the knife laws.

-----------

You don't need a picture id, we shouldn't need it for voting as it is our constitutional right.

In the U.S. state of Illinois, residents must possess a FOID card,[1] or Firearm Owners Identification card, in order to legally possess or purchase firearms or ammunition in the state. The applicable law has been in effect since 1968,[2] but has been subject to several subsequent amendments.
FOID (firearms) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Only thing more screwed up, inconsistent, and unconstitutional than gun laws in this country are the knife laws.

That varies from state to state. As of January 6, 2021, there were no legal penalties for concealing and carrying a knife in Wisconsin (regardless of blade length), unless you are prohibited from possessing a firearm.

-----------

You don't need a picture id, we shouldn't need it for voting as it is our constitutional right.

Rights are not absolute, and are subject to stipulations or even revocation. Would you want convicted felons, illegals, or minors having to right to possess a firearm?

Illinois FOID card is a violation of the constitutional right to own a firearm, though.

-----------

Rights are not absolute, and are subject to stipulations or even revocation. Would you want convicted felons, illegals, or minors having to right to possess a firearm?

The judge made a ruling, anybody can have a gun!!

Forum List

Back