Illegal vs Wrong

EvMetro

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2017
Do you understand the difference between illegal and wrong? It is possible to do something illegal without doing anything wrong, and it is possible to do something that is wrong without doing something illegal. This does not mean that wrong can't be illegal though, and it doesn't mean illegal can't be wrong. The two words shouldn't be used in place of each other.

Some father beating the crap out of some guy when he catches him molesting his 5 year old daughter is probably "illegal."

What would the 2020 election fall under? I thought I knew and now it's making me question my sanity let alone legal knowledge.

If you do something illegal, you are performing (or not performing) an act against which legislators have created statute.

Legislators are the elected representatives of society so, you could claim, they are working in the name of society.

If you commit an act that which society had deemed unlawful, you are, by definition, committing a wrong against society.

That being said, not every wrong act is covered by statute. The are many things you could do that society (or members of it) might consider "wrong". You may even consciously know you are doing wrong (Mens Rea) BUT, because there is no statute, those things would not be considered illegal.

Summary:

Committing an illegal act is wrong.

Doing wrong isn't necessarily illegal.

Do you understand the difference between illegal and wrong? It is possible to do something illegal without doing anything wrong, and it is possible to do something that is wrong without doing something illegal. This does not mean that wrong can't be illegal though, and it doesn't mean illegal can't be wrong. The two words shouldn't be used in place of each other.

Thats another pitfall of the idiots of today.
They use the WRONG words and terms for describing something they don't mean.

Much like these fuktards that use "there" for ALL different forms of the word.

1662943801031.png

If you do something illegal, you are performing (or not performing) an act against which legislators have created statute.

Legislators are the elected representatives of society so, you could claim, they are working in the name of society.

If you commit an act that which society had deemed unlawful, you are, by definition, committing a wrong against society.

That being said, not every wrong act is covered by statute. The are many things you could do that society (or members of it) might consider "wrong". You may even consciously know you are doing wrong (Mens Rea) BUT, because there is no statute, those things would not be considered illegal.

Summary:

There have been times when certain things/acts were wrongfully made illegal.

There have been times when certain things/acts were wrongfully made illegal.

Absolutely ... legislators very often aren't representative of society ... but we still continue to re-elect them.

Committing an illegal act "can" be wrong, but just because it is illegal doesn't mean "is" wrong.

I covered that. But, by definition, it is.
The standard that defines right and wrong is not the same standard as the one that determines illegal vs legal.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back