Illegal Aliens and Drunk Driving Deaths

Speaking of which, did you see Bill and Geraldo's man-fight on the issue last Thursday? Their make-up sex must've simply fabulous! <i>Mizrahi!</i> ;)

Speaking of which, did you see Bill and Geraldo's man-fight on the issue last Thursday? Their make-up sex must've simply fabulous! <i>Mizrahi!</i> ;)

hahaha...that was such an amazing struggle for power. I sat there captivated wondering who was going to "win"

hahaha...that was such an amazing struggle for power. I sat there captivated wondering who was going to "win"

Thats what happens when two huuuuge egos disagree. Just like Bush and Congress. Its all a political statement. To get back on topic, everyone knows that drunk driving related deaths are not caused by a majority of illegals, or even a majority of hispanics. You cant just deport one guy, you have to either control the boarder, or lock up every DUI related death. Keep in mind president BUSH was convicted of DUI, what if he killed someone? He would be out of prison by now or maybe even granted a pardon from his daddy. A DUI is a DUI no matter legal status or race.

Nah ... I saw a little clip of them fighting and wondered what it wa about. I still can't get past the part where when I was a teenager Geraldo was considered quite the liberal. Now he looks so "corporate.":lol:

Thats what happens when two huuuuge egos disagree. Just like Bush and Congress. Its all a political statement. To get back on topic, everyone knows that drunk driving related deaths are not caused by a majority of illegals, or even a majority of hispanics. You cant just deport one guy, you have to either control the boarder, or lock up every DUI related death. Keep in mind president BUSH was convicted of DUI, what if he killed someone? He would be out of prison by now or maybe even granted a pardon from his daddy. A DUI is a DUI no matter legal status or race.

But, bear in mind a DUI in the 70s was not a DUI today. I know in FL until sometime in the 80s you could drive around with a beer/drink in your hand, and a DUI was a ClassIII misdemeanor. It didn't reach crucifixion status until the mid-late 80s.

Not saying the act itself is different, but the perception relative to the times in which they happened is VERY different.

Then there's my cynical side .... had Bush killed someone and daddy had enough pull, who says he'd even go to jail? Ted Kennedy didn't. And I'm not just bashing poor old Ted. I think his deal is very relative to driving drunk and killing people, since he actually did it and money and clout got him off the hook.

But, bear in mind a DUI in the 70s was not a DUI today. I know in FL until sometime in the 80s you could drive around with a beer/drink in your hand, and a DUI was a ClassIII misdemeanor. It didn't reach crucifixion status until the mid-late 80s.

Not saying the act itself is different, but the perception relative to the times in which they happened is VERY different.

Then there's my cynical side .... had Bush killed someone and daddy had enough pull, who says he'd even go to jail? Ted Kennedy didn't. And I'm not just bashing poor old Ted. I think his deal is very relative to driving drunk and killing people, since he actually did it and money and clout got him off the hook.

Ah, funny you would bring that up Gunster. "Poor ol Ted" the drunken murderer did indeed have an incident involving a boatcar. (I remember you liked that analogy when I posted it in Sept 04 or sometime), drunk driving has indeed evolved.

There is an awful fine line in between a dad having a couple of beers while his family enjoys a night out at the neighborhood steakhouse 2 miles from home and a "drunk" driver. Problem being that we have to set a tolerance line and etch it in stone for enforcement reasons.

On Spit vs. Spat, Jeraldo was right! It is a drunk driving issue, not an immigration issue.

Personal Responsibility should be the order of the day. A man should know when he has had enough and if he has had enough he should take a cab. I have NO tolerance for drunkdriving. Hurt someone in my family and the court or jail will be the safest place you could be. If Mary Jo was my daughter, John Kerry would be the senior Senator from Mass.

The immigration thing is easy, ENFORCE THE DAMN LAW. If we enforce the law no illegal aliens would kill anyone while driving drunk. Only Americans would do it.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE PLEASE!

Ah, funny you would bring that up Gunster. "Poor ol Ted" the drunken murderer did indeed have an incident involving a boatcar. (I remember you liked that analogy when I posted it in Sept 04 or sometime), drunk driving has indeed evolved.

There is an awful fine line in between a dad having a couple of beers while his family enjoys a night out at the neighborhood steakhouse 2 miles from home and a "drunk" driver. Problem being that we have to set a tolerance line and etch it in stone for enforcement reasons.

On Spit vs. Spat, Jeraldo was right! It is a drunk driving issue, not an immigration issue.

Personal Responsibility should be the order of the day. A man should know when he has had enough and if he has had enough he should take a cab. I have NO tolerance for drunkdriving. Hurt someone in my family and the court or jail will be the safest place you could be. If Mary Jo was my daughter, John Kerry would be the senior Senator from Mass.

The immigration thing is easy, ENFORCE THE DAMN LAW. If we enforce the law no illegal aliens would kill anyone while driving drunk. Only Americans would do it.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE PLEASE!

I think it is an drunk driving AND an immigration issue. Prosecute for the most serious crime first. Here illegally or not, he committed the crime here and should pay the consequences for violating that law.

After he's done serving that sentence, process him and dump him back over the fence.

North Carolinais just one of several states trying to do something about the problem of illegal immigrants driving drunk.

Anti-drunken-driving efforts aimed at Latinos
[/i]By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY[/i]

North Carolina is trying to combat a major problem among young Hispanic men drawn to the state by plentiful jobs: drunken-driving rates two to three times as high as those of other groups.
According to the University of North Carolina's Highway Safety Research Center, 7.04% of Hispanic drivers involved in crashes in the state in 2005 were suspected of driving while intoxicated. That compares with 2.82% of whites in crashes and 2.29% of African-Americans, according to Eric Rodgman, a researcher at the center. Most of the Hispanics involved in crashes are young men, he says.

Many of them have left their family, church and social networks behind when they come to the USA to work, and they sometimes drink to combat loneliness, says Antonio Asion, public safety director for El Pueblo, a non-profit Hispanic advocacy group in Raleigh.

"You see the same thing with this same age group of people that are non-Latino," Asion says. "College students when they go away from home for the first time (drink to excess). If you look in the military, you see the same thing."

Leading cause of death

El Pueblo is working with the North Carolina Governor's Highway Safety Program in an effort to reduce the disproportionate number of highway fatalities and injuries among Hispanic drivers in the state by increasing awareness of driving laws and safety issues.

Nationally, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for Hispanics age 1-34 but only the eighth leading cause for Americans overall, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Other federal data show that 47% of Hispanic crash deaths are alcohol-related, compared with 40% for the general population.

The problem is complicated by numerous high-profile cases in which illegal immigrants have killed others while driving drunk. Talk show hosts Bill O'Reilly and Geraldo Rivera had a shouting match about the issue Thursday night on Fox News Channel's The O'Reilly Factor while discussing an accident last month in Virginia Beach in which two teenage girls died. The driver, charged with manslaughter and suspected of being drunk, has admitted to being in the USA illegally.

Rep. Sue Myrick, R-N.C., is pushing legislation that would require illegal immigrants convicted of drunken driving to be automatically deported. The House passed the measure in 2005 as an amendment to a larger bill, but it went nowhere in the Senate.

North Carolina is one of several states trying to address the disparity in highway death rates through community outreach and education efforts:

•After several fatalities involving Hispanic men driving drunk last year in Nashville, Conexion Americas, a non-profit community organization, teamed with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, State Farm Insurance, police and Hispanic media in an initiative in Tennessee.

"It was the first time anything like that had been done in Tennessee," says Jose Gonzalez, executive director of Conexion Americas.

Gonzalez sees a lack of awareness about the dangers of drunken driving among many young Hispanic men — "especially recent immigrants from the rural areas of Mexico, Guatemala or wherever. Most likely, they didn't even own a car in their home country. These immigrants, when they come to the United States and are able to purchase a car, they don't have this drunk driving message in their paradigm. They've never been exposed to these constant messages."

•Arizona is running a 30-month pilot program called "Pasa las Llaves (Pass the Keys)" that's trying to reduce impaired driving among Hispanics in Tucson and south Tucson, according to Richard Fimbres, director of the Arizona Governor's Office of Highway Safety.

"The key to changing behavior is usually education and high-visibility enforcement," he says.

Officers conduct dragnets for impaired drivers, target those with outstanding DUI arrest warrants and work with Latino community and church groups.

•Colorado started its first comprehensive DUI program for Hispanics last May with saturation patrols, sobriety checkpoints and a Spanish-language educational campaign. The state Department of Transportation plans to repeat the effort this year if funding can be found, spokeswoman Stacey Stegman says.

Cultural challenges

"Colorado has a very large Latino population," she says. "The numbers for DUIs within this ethnic group is just to the point that we feel this needs to be addressed."

Such efforts must overcome cultural barriers, Asion says. "If you're drinking and you can't drive because you're inebriated, you're saying you can't handle your alcohol," he says. "Your machismo then kicks in, and you don't let anybody else drive, especially not a woman. That's why the designated-driving thing doesn't work."

Raul Caetano, regional dean at the University of Texas School of Public Health, who has extensively studied the issue of Hispanic immigrants driving drunk, says data are contradictory.

He says that national surveys asking drivers if they've been arrested on drunken-driving charges within the past 12 months found Hispanic arrest rates roughly equal to those of whites.

Caetano also says his research has found higher rates of drinking and driving among native-born Hispanics than Hispanic immigrants.

The North Carolina effort, called "Nuestra Seguridad," includes a media campaign, DWI checkpoints and publishing the names of Latinos arrested on drunken-driving charges in Spanish-language newspapers. "One of the things we felt we needed to address specifically was the disproportionate number of crashes and DWI crashes that involved our Hispanic population," says Darrell Jernigan, director of the Governor's Highway Safety Program.

Asion says some young Hispanic men are confused about how much alcohol it takes to make them drunk.

"I'm pretty certain everybody knows drinking and driving is wrong," he says. "But how much does it take to be legally drunk is the question. A lot of people think, 'A 12-pack (of beer), that's my legal limit.' No, that's way over the legal limit."

Contributing: Associated Press

Anti-drunken-driving efforts aimed at Latinos

Republicans need to grow a spine, and illegal aliens need to be deported, along with their kids, even if their kids are legal citizens because that law is bullshit. Honestly.

Republicans need to grow a spine, and illegal aliens need to be deported, along with their kids, even if their kids are legal citizens because that law is bullshit. Honestly.

And how do we go about rounding them all up and sending them back? Not a mission easily put into practice.

And how do we go about rounding them all up and sending them back? Not a mission easily put into practice.

Why round them up? Deport them as they're caught. If an effective border defense is put into play, it only needs be once. The Fed also needs to empower and hold accountable state and local authorities in enforcing immigration laws.

While I do not agree with the current law that children dropped on US soil are automatically US citizens, as long as it is law, I do not agree with deporting those considered legal US citizens.

I support changing the law. Until then, they are entitled by law to whatever it is they are entitled to.

And how do we go about rounding them all up and sending them back?

I can't think of too many policy initiatives that would, in fact, be easier. You find the illegals. You put them on buses. It's not rocket science. The fact that you don't want it to happen doesn't mean it's difficult to achieve. What's missing is the WILL to make it happen.

what do you then do with their American childern?

They aren't American by my lights and they go back, too.

The whole issue isn't an issue. Ask yourself this, liberals: what if 20 Republicans just decided to camp out on your lawn, sleep in your room and generally "crash" at your place, permanently? Do you think you'd say, "but gee, what about their children?" Or, "I can't just make them leave." Baloney! You'd say get off my property NOW! And you wouldn't feel guilty about it.

Their children are Americans under the law wether it makes you sad or not.

They are Americans and deserve to be treat as such.

Now what do you do with them?

Again saying I dont like the facts as they are so I wont deal with them isnt an answer.

Forum List

Back