I'll be darned... Chuck Eye Steak

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Never bought any before. But it was on sale for $5.90 for TWO steaks.
I pan fried it exactly the same way I would pan fry a high quality cut... it was great!
The only annoyance is there is a gristle line that runs like a cross from top to bottom. Kind of hard to cut around it effectively. But the flavor was really good, and the meat is very tender.
I will buy them again.

I pan fried it exactly the same way I would pan fry a high quality cut... it was great!
The only annoyance is there is a gristle line that runs like a cross from top to bottom. Kind of hard to cut around it effectively. But the flavor was really good, and the meat is very tender.
I will buy them again.
That's what they want you to do.....Settle for cheap cuts and the next thing you know.....It's cricket paste. ;)

I will buy them again.

The only thing I miss about my old home in Washington -- my butcher who cut crazy wonderful chuck eye steaks.

I will buy them again.
What did you do with Chuck's eye when you finished?

I will buy them again.
chuck tastes the same as ribeye

I will buy them again.
You can make it even more tender by liberally dry brining an hour before cooking it. When done rinse the extra salt off, pat dry and cook as you normally would. Course non iodine salt (kosher or sea salt) works best.

What did you do with Chuck's eye when you finished?
chucky-doll-2.jpg

I will buy them again.
Around here they usually call those a Delmonico steak. Or they will cut the chuck eye steak in half and sell them as boneless country style ribs.

Good beefy flavor.

I will buy them again.
pan sear them and then wrap them in foils and bake for 30 minutes .

chuck tastes the same as ribeye
The chuck eye and rib eye are cut from the same muscle. The difference is that the chuck eye is from the chuck primal and the rib eye is from the rib primal.

Ribs 1-5 are in the chuck primal and ribs 6-12 are in the rib primal, and rib 13 is part of the loin primal.

The chuck eye steak comes from rib 5 and cooks/tastes just like a ribeye.

The chuck eye and rib eye are cut from the same muscle. The difference is that the chuck eye is from the chuck primal and the rib eye is from the rib primal.

Ribs 1-5 are in the chuck primal and ribs 6-12 are in the rib primal, and rib 13 is part of the loin primal.

The chuck eye steak comes from rib 5 and cooks/tastes just like a ribeye.
you know a lot about beef cuts
what is the best way to cook corned beef?
I did it in the oven, but it came out tough

you know a lot about beef cuts
what is the best way to cook corned beef?
I did it in the oven, but it came out tough
Low and slow.

Corned beef is traditionally made from a brisket cured in brine. The brisket is the cow's pectoral muscles. All day every day they have to hold up ~60% of the cow's weight, so they are very hard working muscles. And hard working muscles require a lot of connective tissue made from a protein known as collagen. That's what makes them so tough.

When cooking steak, a 120 degree internal temperature is considered rare and a 160 degree internal temperature is considered well done.

But collagen doesn't even begin to break down into gelatin until it's 160 degrees. You've got to get it hotter than that. And moisture helps break down collagen too so using moist heat is a good idea.

I cook it at 180 degrees for a couple hours then raise the temp to 220 degrees until it has an internal temp of 205.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back