I'll be damned... Rumsfeld quits

Well this will be interesting to see who will replace him. With all the budget cuts and re-organizations we've been doing in the military the last few years, will we be in for a big shake-up?

I think the big question is, can we get someone qualified through a confirmation process.

Thats what I hear the President is going to announce today

He might as well beat them to the punch. All we're in for now is probably impeachment proceedings and anti-war punitive "investigations" and Rumsfield certainly would have been lined up as one of their targets. :coffee3:

Looks like Robert Gates is going to be the Presidents choice to be the next Sec. of Defense.

Former CIA Head.

Present, he the President of a University in Texas.

looks like the President was putting this in the works for a while and this likely would have happened regardless how the election turned out. Of course, this isnt going to stop Democrats from claiming its another victory.

It probably is time for new blood there though.

looks like the President was putting this in the works for a while and this likely would have happened regardless how the election turned out. Of course, this isnt going to stop Democrats from claiming its another victory.

It probably is time for new blood there though.

probably just the tip of the iceberg too. It will be interesting to see how many sacrificial lambs the current administration will give up before the libs/Dems are satisfied.

If the Dems focus on investigations and impeachments, they wont do anything else, which is both a comfort and a worry.

Wow, after all thats happened I figured he would be with us till the end.

The only thing that comes to mind right now to explain it is the White House being worried about all the new investigations that the Dems are sure to bring with them.

Bush says Rumsfeld stepping down
President taps ex-CIA chief Gates to replace embattled defense secretary

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, is resigning after six stormy years at the Pentagon, President Bush said Wednesday.

Bush said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA under the first President Bush, would be tapped to replace Rumsfeld.

The development occurred one day after midterm elections that cost Republicans control of the House, and possibly the Senate, as well. Surveys of voters at polling places said opposition to the war was a significant contributor to the Democratic victory.

President Bush was expected to announce Rumsfeld's departure and Gates' nomination at an afternoon news conference. Administration officials notified congressional officials in advance.

Last week, as he campaigned to save the Republican majority, Bush declared that Rumsfeld would remain at the Pentagon through the end of his term.

Rumsfeld, 74, was in his second tour of duty as defense chief. He first held the job a generation ago, when he was appointed by President Ford.

Gates is the president of Texas A&M University and a close friend of the Bush family. He served as CIA director for Bush’s father from 1991 until 1993.

Gates first joined the CIA in 1966 and served in the intelligence community for more than a quarter century, under six presidents.

His nomination must be confirmed by the Senate.

Whatever confidence Bush retained in Rumsfeld, the Cabinet officer’s support in Congress had eroded significantly. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., the House speaker-in-waiting, said at her first post-election news conference that Bush should replace the top civilian leadership at the Pentagon.

And Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who had intervened in the past to shore up Rumsfeld, issued a statement saying, “Washington must now work together in a bipartisan way — Republicans and Democrats — to outline the path to success in Iraq.”

This breaking news story will be updated.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15622266/?GT1=8717

how many times are people going to start new Rumsfeld Resigning threads?:p im tired of merging them.

I didn't see one in the politics forum, which is where I figured it would be.

:cow:

Thats what I hear the President is going to announce today

as i support saddam's punishment for crimes against humanity, i believe rumsfeld should be subject to similar trials.

i sure hope he doesn't 'die of a heart attack' in the BS ken lay fashion (ken lay isn't dead), so he can be held accountable for his crimes against humanity as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
spillmind said:
as i support saddam's punishment for crimes against humanity, i believe rumsfeld should be subject to similar trials.

i sure hope he doesn't 'die of a heart attack' in the BS ken lay fashion (ken lay isn't dead), so he can be held accountable for his crimes against humanity as well.
Do you have any evidence to back your accusation?

Do you have any evidence to back your accusation?
back up which? that ken lay isn't dead?

let's see... Ken Lay had access to the best health care in the world, and never had a history of a heart problem... then suddenly 'keels over' two weeks after his verdict was announced from a heart attack, absolving him and his 'surviving' family of all liability.

the fact that they turned around his autopsy in less than 24 hrs should tell you something as well... i mean, who writes this crap? even more so... who believes it?

i don't have the name or number of his possible plastic surgeon, or who helped him get out of the country, helped him with a fake passports, etc... hell, the borders are practically wide open to canada and mexico... but moreover, with friends and money like that, you don't just 'die', two weeks after losing your american soil privileges by court of law.

spillmind said:
let's see... Ken Lay had access to the best health care in the world, and never had a history of a heart problem... then suddenly 'keels over' two weeks after his verdict was announced from a heart attack, absolving him and his 'surviving' family of all liability.
People die of heart attacks all the time, why not Ken Lay?
spillmind said:
the fact that they turned around his autopsy in less than 24 hrs should tell you something as well... i mean, who writes this crap? even more so... who believes it?
It tells me that they had an autopsy.
spillmind said:
i don't have the name or number of his possible plastic surgeon, or who helped him get out of the country, helped him with a fake passports, etc... hell, the borders are practically wide open to canada and mexico... but moreover, with friends and money like that, you don't just 'die', two weeks after losing your american soil privileges by court of law.
The world is a much more boring place then you imagine.

Forum List

Back