If you want to improve education fire the under performing teachers

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.

We have to have programs for the disadvantaged in elementary, middle and high school. But just the top performers should be admitted to main stream colleges. No remedial classes in colleges!

Community colleges will be great for skilled workers and they could have remedial classes there.

it's all relative. If the teacher is no good at teaching gender studies should they be fired? If they get found out to be a closet trump supporter do they get fired?

it's all relative. If the teacher is no good at teaching gender studies should they be fired? If they get found out to be a closet trump supporter do they get fired?
Gender studies? Too funny. You sir, have struck the nail firmly on its head. Let me add to the list... administrators who allow gender study to be taught to the list of individuals who need to be fired.

Public Education achieves precisely what it is meant to achieve. I don't think the government, the elites that run the system, really want to improve it.

Hell, half the population either doesn't believe, or doesn't care about the exposed corruption in our government. If you can train a population to not think critically, than it is easier to control them.

They should be reviewed on a) control of the classroom, b) knowledge of subject matter, c) preparation, d) teaching style and e) how well they follow the curriculum.
I am personally against teaching gender studies, but they would have to follow district curriculum and it doesn't matter if they show poor judgment in voting for Hillary.

Why do you think it is so hard to remove bad teachers?

I once encountered a bad teacher at my kids Junior High, she was the worst. The class he took was a typing class. As it turns out, I could have taught the class better than she could have.

We had a fundamental disagreement. By the end of the course, the kids were still looking at the key board, and pecking with their fingers. She told me there was not one "right way" to type. I was like, WTF?!! There sure as hell is a correct way to type. It is why the letters are arranged in a certain way on the key board. It is why, on every key board, the "j" and the "f" have raised ridges or bumps on them.

She wouldn't hear of it though. She told me it is up to the kids to determine the style of typing that they would choose.

Now my son is in High School, I encountered this useless educator again at a parent/teacher conference, she is still in the system, still teaching. This time she was teaching a class called; "Post secondary Prep." It is the most useless waste of time. Hers, and my sons. He reads a book and journals about what he read. Then she reads what he read. I asked her, do you correct spelling, grammar or look for meaningful connections about the kid's reading? She answered, no, she just makes sure they read something and wrote about what they read, that's all. She doesn't comment or mark the papers at all.

facepalm.jpg

Useless.

I once encountered a bad teacher at my kids Junior High, she was the worst. The class he took was a typing class. As it turns out, I could have taught the class better than she could have.

We had a fundamental disagreement. By the end of the course, the kids were still looking at the key board, and pecking with their fingers. She told me there was not one "right way" to type. I was like, WTF?!! There sure as hell is a correct way to type. It is why the letters are arranged in a certain way on the key board. It is why, on every key board, the "j" and the "f" have raised ridges or bumps on them.

She wouldn't hear of it though. She told me it is up to the kids to determine the style of typing that they would choose.

Now my son is in High School, I encountered this useless educator again at a parent/teacher conference, she is still in the system, still teaching. This time she was teaching a class called; "Post secondary Prep." It is the most useless waste of time. Hers, and my sons. He reads a book and journals about what he read. Then she reads what he read. I asked her, do you correct spelling, grammar or look for meaningful connections about the kid's reading? She answered, no, she just makes sure they read something and wrote about what they read, that's all. She doesn't comment or mark the papers at all.

facepalm.jpg

Useless.
Time to document and send it to the principal and copy it to the Superintendent.

facepalm.jpg

Useless.
Time to document and send it to the principal and copy it to the Superintendent.
Why? They know that is how the course is run. It's been run like that for a long time before my kid arrived, and will be for a long time after he leaves. Why do you think they put an incompetent educator in charge of it, and design courses like that, force kids to take stupid courses like those, and put the course on a pass/fail rather than a letter grade track. She a bigger burn out than probably 70% of the kids she is there to baby sit.

Most teachers like her they put in the elementary school, but if you met her, you would know why she isn't teaching at that level, no one would want someone this dumb and uninquisitive around their little kids. I seriously don't know how she got through a four year school. I really don't.

The point is, she went through college, did her student teaching, and got her job. If you know how the public bureaucracy works, and tenure is, unless she comes to work drunk, makes inappropriate comments or molests the kiddies, she is set for life. Let's not even talk about government retirement pensions versus the private sector. :badgrin:

With the public sector unions, it is very hard to do anything at all about competency. They don't ever lose their jobs. You can move them around, that is about all.

If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.
How do you determine the underperforming teachers?

facepalm.jpg

Useless.
They are probably the ones who gave her the curriculum.

Can their students read, write, and do numbers? Do they understand the most basic precepts of traditional science, history, and social precepts?

I teach postsecondary students. Fortunately, my subject material encompasses technical subjects. Otherwise, I would have to grade their projects on their writing proficiency...they would FAIL! If I did not preface each and every class with the most basic physics and mathematical concepts related to each subject, they would FAIL!

facepalm.jpg

Useless.
Why? They know that is how the course is run. It's been run like that for a long time before my kid arrived, and will be for a long time after he leaves. Why do you think they put an incompetent educator in charge of it, and design courses like that, force kids to take stupid courses like those, and put the course on a pass/fail rather than a letter grade track. She a bigger burn out than probably 70% of the kids she is there to baby sit.

Most teachers like her they put in the elementary school, but if you met her, you would know why she isn't teaching at that level, no one would want someone this dumb and uninquisitive around their little kids. I seriously don't know how she got through a four year school. I really don't.

The point is, she went through college, did her student teaching, and got her job. If you know how the public bureaucracy works, and tenure is, unless she comes to work drunk, makes inappropriate comments or molests the kiddies, she is set for life. Let's not even talk about government retirement pensions versus the private sector. :badgrin:

With the public sector unions, it is very hard to do anything at all about competency. They don't ever lose their jobs. You can move them around, that is about all.
Some districts do have a mentoring program for problem teachers. If they don't improve, they are out of a job. Granted, the unions are a large part of the problem. Only when they get involved is when it can happen.

facepalm.jpg

Useless.
Some teachers are rogue.

facepalm.jpg

Useless.
Some teachers are rogue.
Some teachers are useless but protected.

facepalm.jpg

Useless.
Some teachers are rogue.
Some teachers are useless but protected.
That is true.

I start with the ones who use avatars which are clown faces of people they don't like. I figure if these people show such little respect for their advasaries, they are probably the ones who are trash talking their friends behind their back. Those people have already demonstrated that they have no or too low of a standard of behavior.

Can their students read, write, and do numbers? Do they understand the most basic precepts of traditional science, history, and social precepts?
So...if you can't count it, it doesn't count? What about the teachers who get classes of students already several grade levels behind? What about students whose parents are illiterate and can't help at home?

Forum List

Back