If you want biscuits and gravy in Britain, what would you ask for?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
First of all it should be made clear that what Americans call biscuits are not - the changing of the use of English in this case actually sees a mis-use of French also since the name biscuit means ‘twice cooked’. So even in England some things get called biscuits that are not. Also just in case you did not know, but cookie is a type of biscuit in England often with nut or choc chips added.

American biscuit is as far as I am aware more like a savoury type of scone.

You would be hard pressed to find any Brit who would call your white sauce ‘gravy’ - to us gravy is a thickened meat jus and will be brown.

Finally as far as I know, there is nothing like ‘Biscuits and Gravy’ in the UK…

but you can try:

Toad in the Hole (with gravy)

Welsh Rarebit - which is not just ‘cheese on toast’, but rather a cheesy sauce served with (usually toasted) bread, and some variants may have bits of ‘meat’ added.

First of all it should be made clear that what Americans call biscuits are not - the changing of the use of English in this case actually sees a mis-use of French also since the name biscuit means ‘twice cooked’. So even in England some things get called biscuits that are not. Also just in case you did not know, but cookie is a type of biscuit in England often with nut or choc chips added.

American biscuit is as far as I am aware more like a savoury type of scone.

You would be hard pressed to find any Brit who would call your white sauce ‘gravy’ - to us gravy is a thickened meat jus and will be brown.

Finally as far as I know, there is nothing like ‘Biscuits and Gravy’ in the UK…

but you can try:

Toad in the Hole (with gravy)

Welsh Rarebit - which is not just ‘cheese on toast’, but rather a cheesy sauce served with (usually toasted) bread, and some variants may have bits of ‘meat’ added.

A plane ticket to Lancaster County, PA . . .

the closest you'll get to an tradition buttermilk biscuit in the UK is a scone which is sweeter, like a pancake.

• Banned
the closest you'll get to an tradition buttermilk biscuit in the UK is a scone which is sweeter, like a pancake.

Eaten like this:

E7DA1975-581D-4DC4-8E11-B0303CD0B340.jpeg

Forum List

Back