If you feed them, and they keep coming back, raccoons qualify as pets!

I used to enjoy them because they provided my dog a lot of fun, running them up the fence or a tree. Never saw anything that made her happier. Possums confused her because they'd just stand there, but coons made for great chasing.

Some nights he has as many as 27 for a HOT DOG party....I just love this kind of stuff!

They may be cute, but raccoons aren't supposed to be pets. He's just lucky he didn't get bitten and get rabies. We used to have a raccoon problem with our garbage and that's why we strapped it down so they couldn't get inside anymore. I would never feed a raccoon due to the fact for safety purposes and they're nasty little creatures.

They may be cute, but raccoons aren't supposed to be pets. He's just lucky he didn't get bitten and get rabies. We used to have a raccoon problem with our garbage and that's why we strapped it down so they couldn't get inside anymore. I would never feed a raccoon due to the fact for safety purposes and they're nasty little creatures.
They don't "all" have rabies. Having said that, if you do get bit, it means that poor animal is going to be killed (the only way to test for rabies). But rabies is EXTREMELY rare

Last edited:
I used to enjoy them because they provided my dog a lot of fun, running them up the fence or a tree. Never saw anything that made her happier. Possums confused her because they'd just stand there, but coons made for great chasing.
Only humans take pleasure terrorizing other animals. My huge tomcat loves to sit in the evening with a raccoon. I get pleasure out of seeing this. Your pet will mirror your own behavior

Raccoons make lousy pets. But they are not pests. I feed a couple, but I dont bother them
As a child, my grandparents Neighbor had a pet racoon. They had raised it from a baby. It was smart and reasonably friendly. Took food using it's hands not it's mouth. He(?) didn't like being petted and would chatter at you if you did, but would curl up on his owners feet.

As a child, my grandparents Neighbor had a pet racoon. They had raised it from a baby. It was smart and reasonably friendly. Took food using it's hands not it's mouth. He(?) didn't like being petted and would chatter at you if you did, but would curl up on his owners feet.
They're great when they're young, but when their hormones kick in they become much more wild and become skittish even of their owner

You must have a big dog---coons, and you know I feed them too periodically, are known to kill small dogs and rabbits. They can become actually quite violent and aggressive.

Some nights he has as many as 27 for a HOT DOG party....I just love this kind of stuff!

You can have good relations with a wild animal, and they can be FRIENDS, but raccoons should NEVER be viewed as "pets." Their hormones kick in and they can be vicious and are always destructive if you try to domesticate them.

If you make friends with a wild raccoon, great. But they are not "pets." You will destroy their life when you find you have to release them.

Besides, it is rightfully ILLEGAL to keep them as pets, and if caught, the "pet" will be confiscated and EUTHANIZED

Forum List

Back