If you could live in any book...

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
For example....you magically can transport yourself to live permanently inside the story of a fictitious book. Which would you choose and why?

I think I would like to be inside a Victoria Holt book. Why? Because it always involves a mysterious castle, ladies and gentleman and some scalywags but over all...nice settings.

Storm_Front.png

For example....you magically can transport yourself to live permanently inside the story of a fictitious book. Which would you choose and why?

I think I would like to be inside a Victoria Holt book. Why? Because it always involves a mysterious castle, ladies and gentleman and some scalywags but over all...nice settings.

At the moment I'd have to say Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon because the world of that novel is at least a worthwhile apocalypse.

I would live in this book.... by Scott Fitzgerald....it's the 1920s in Paris and New York... nice times, crazy times... it's beautifully written...it ticks all the boxes for me.

1586734582300.png

1586734616818.png

At the moment I'd have to say Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon because the world of that novel is at least a worthwhile apocalypse.
AWESOME book, that. Better than The Stand. But I don't think I would want to be IN it.

Swiss Family Robinson would be cool. LOVE the tree house and the island life.

Ya know....I still hear little cries from the grass when I mow after reading that book. And Sister? What a gal she was.

Well, Daphne is hot and when you hang around Shaggy and Scoob, there's
always PLENTY to eat.

1586751505275.png

Rise of the Shield Hero.

Because I identify with the story so much. The hero is hated, insulted, mocked, framed, and betrayed by everyone around him, and that's pretty much my life story.

However, unlike my life story, the shield hero is able to overcome all the hate around him, do good for those in his life, help those in trouble, and eventually finds people who care about him.

And honestly, I'm a sucker for happy endings. So since I've already lived out the hate and bitterness, I'd love to have a life with a happy ending.

I would have said The Orchid Thief but I was already in that book. It's a good read...even if you don't know what an orchid is

Wow, great pick! I've read quite a few books by McCammon, Swan Song is my favorite. Such an incredible and gripping story. My second favorite by him is Boy's Life, which unlike many of his other books, contains very little horror or creepiness. It DOES have one of my favorite passages in ANY book I've read. It's the part where the boy, who IS the main character in the book, hears some strange noises in the back yard of his house several nights in a row after his beloved family dog died. The noises sound like a dog whimpering. After a few nights of this, he gets the courage to see just what IS making these sounds. It turns out to be the ghost of the family dog, looking pleadingly to the boy to let him out of the yard. The boy does so, and he never hears or sees the dog's ghost again. Just an astoundingly tender and bittersweet passage. Thinking of it just made me tear up again. McCammon's writing can be like that. Horrific one moment, tender the next. He is just a fantastic writer.

Wow, great pick! I've read quite a few books by McCammon, Swan Song is my favorite. Such an incredible and gripping story. My second favorite by him is Boy's Life, which unlike many of his other books, contains very little horror or creepiness. It DOES have one of my favorite passages in ANY book I've read. It's the part where the boy, who IS the main character in the book, hears some strange noises in the back yard of his house several nights in a row after his beloved family dog died. The noises sound like a dog whimpering. After a few nights of this, he gets the courage to see just what IS making these sounds. It turns out to be the ghost of the family dog, looking pleadingly to the boy to let him out of the yard. The boy does so, and he never hears or sees the dog's ghost again. Just an astoundingly tender and bittersweet passage. Thinking of it just made me tear up again. McCammon's writing can be like that. Horrific one moment, tender the next. He is just a fantastic writer.
So I guess I would pick to be the boy in Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. He goes through some harrowing adventures in the book and discovers he loves his father more than he thought he did. And also because of the passage where he discovers the ghost of his beloved family dog and sets it free. Just to be able to experience something like that would be breathtaking, sad, and wondrous. And satisfying, knowing that you've let the dog's spirit free. I can't recommend Boy's Life or Swan Song by Robert McCammon enough.

Actually I might tend to go for a great adventure. Maybe something like Treasure Island or Clan of the Cave Bear.

Though there may be a few people around that if I could Banish to live in a book, i would choose Alice in Wonderland.

Forum List

Back