If You Believe in Abortion You Are Not Catholic And Cannot Take Communion

The bible isn't the word of the christian god.

It's the word of the people who wrote it, John, Paul, Matthew, etc.

I agree that there shouldn't be different translations for the bible. What one bible says can be very different from what another one says.
The Bible is a reflection of the human concept of God. I doesn't matter if one believes God actually exists, He exists as a concept of how to live, work and thrive with other human beings. The idea of an all powerful entity transcends human greed and frailty which will undermine and kill a thriving society.
The Bible is a reflection of the human concept of God. I doesn't matter if one believes God actually exists, He exists as a concept of how to live, work and thrive with other human beings. The idea of an all powerful entity transcends human greed and frailty which will undermine and kill a thriving society.
So it’s all just purely subjective then. There is no god so just take what you will from it?
No God? Let me tell you something I struggle every day with wether I'm going to Heaven or hell. I I've hade to make choices n my life.bthose choices have consequences. You can't go around raping women and and children and not face consequence of that. It is what it is. There is a God he he/she is great. My savior. The difference between defeat and victory is our belief in the Almighty. That feeling was with me in my fighting hole.

And that's great.

But you need to wrap your pointed little head around the fact that many have beliefs which are different than yours, but which are absolutely as valid as yours...
My big round heart can't do that.

Well, then you're part of the problem.

I have my beliefs. They are what they are. I can be an egotistical prick at times, but I would never presume to tell someone that they should share my beliefs because I know I'm right and I know they're they're wrong. Once you start dismissing the religious beliefs of others as invalid, you remove any chanced for meaningful dialog on just about any topic...
I'm part of the problem? Don't think so. You are the problem baby killer. Are you some kind of Nazi? What the fuck? You respect human life. Guess you would have to see disrespect for it to understand it's tremendous value.

You've been here a while. You should know that the first one to mention Nazis loses the debate.

I don't kill babies. I don't support the killing of babies. Are you so fucking stupid that you don't understand what "I find abortion to be an abhorrent practice" actually means?

I don't want our laws derived from the teachings of a questionable religion. Catholicism, the religion I was raised in, has a lot to answer for, and none of the others have come up with anything so compelling as to alter my views. It's doubtful, too, that you're going to accomplish that, either, so you can save your breath...

No God? Let me tell you something I struggle every day with wether I'm going to Heaven or hell. I I've hade to make choices n my life.bthose choices have consequences. You can't go around raping women and and children and not face consequence of that. It is what it is. There is a God he he/she is great. My savior. The difference between defeat and victory is our belief in the Almighty. That feeling was with me in my fighting hole.
Good people believe in a benevolent all powerful being. This is a cohesive factor that holds societies together. Without that belief, humans make laws based on their own greed, do things like kill the unborn and confuse children as to which sex they are. Intelligent people realize this and do not discount the existence of God even though they may struggle with the concept from time to time.

It seems there is a big deal being made out of something the church has traditionally done. If you go against the teachings of the church, you normally would get denied Communion (pending confession or whatever else would constitute atonement). I don’t believe in abortion myself. But if someone else does, they need to accept the consequences of their actions. Meaning you’re denied Communion by the church or whatever other things happen.

Good people believe in a benevolent all powerful being. This is a cohesive factor that holds societies together. Without that belief, humans make laws based on their own greed. Intelligent people realize this and do not discount the existence of God even though they may struggle with the concept from time to time.

Explain the Sentinelese then. The cohesive factor that has held that society together seems, by all estimations, the fact that they reject contact with the outside world...

It seems there is a big deal being made out of something the church has traditionally done. If you go against the teachings of the church, you normally would get denied Communion (pending confession or whatever else would constitute atonement). I don’t believe in abortion myself. But if someone else does, they need to accept the consequences of their actions. Meaning you’re denied Communion by the church or whatever other things happen.

Very well stated...

Explain the Sentinelese then. The cohesive factor that has held that society together seems, by all estimations, the fact that they reject contact with the outside world...
They are their own society with thier own God or Gods and beliefs. Go in and destroy those beliefs and their society will no longer exist.

The bible isn't the word of the christian god.

It's the word of the people who wrote it, John, Paul, Matthew, etc.

I agree that there shouldn't be different translations for the bible. What one bible says can be very different from what another one says.
So it’s all just purely subjective then. There is no god so just take what you will from it?
Good for you. That has nothing to do with what I posted or responded to.

Could be but maybe not. In any case would you rather take your moral guidance from an agreed upon benevolent deity or King Joe Blow Dictator?
Could be but maybe not. In any case would you rather take your moral guidance from an agreed upon benevolent deity or King Joe Blow Dictator?
I’m a grown man. I don’t need moral guidance from anyone. I learned right from wrong long ago.

Catholics are largely split on abortion.

Have fun arguing who the “true Catholics” are.
No we are not. Either you're all in or all out?

I was raised Catholic. As an Agnostic, I'm a recovering Catholic.

I find abortion to be an absolutely abhorrent practice. I would never suggest someone get one, except in extreme cases of rape, incest, health of the mother, etc.

That said, I absolutely support a woman's right to choose, or not choose, an abortion. I don't have to like her decision, nor do I have to agree with it.

I do not support abortion at all, but I support choice 100%.

I do not my beliefs should supersede anyone else's, especially when the resistance to it is based almost entirely on a person's religious beliefs...

If God came down and said abortion was a nothing thing and it made no matter to him I would still be 100% pro-life because I believe no one has the right to take the life of another outside of direct self defense.

They are their own society with thier own God or Gods and beliefs. Go in and destroy those beliefs and their society will no longer exist.

But you can't say that, because you know absolutely nothing about them...

I can say they have a fervent belief in keeping out outsiders. If outsiders were to infiltrate their society the action would fundamentally change their accepted society, beliefs, etc. for the worst for them.

Last edited:
Bottom line, today there are very few reasons for abortion given birth control, day after pill, guys cover it if you're unwilling to accept responsibility.

Responsibility, personal responsibility... that covers everything. A baby shouldn't die due to lack of the it

I can say they have a fervent belief in keeping out outsiders. If outsiders were to infiltrate their society the action would fundamentally change their accepted society, beliefs, etc. for the worst for them.

You're wrong.

Outsiders have already infiltrated their society. There have been a number of interactions with them over the years...

Well, I'm in America, and know of no such benevolent deity for all.

I know plenty of folks who believe there is one, but belief is not fact...
I never said it was a fact. I think you may be missing my point.
The point you clearly made is that "God" is the benevolent deity in America.

I submit that America doesn't have a benevolent deity. Some of the citizenry may, but that doesn't mean they're right, nor does it permit them to insist their beliefs be paramount to all others....

The point you clearly made is that "God" is the benevolent deity in America.

I submit that America doesn't have a benevolent deity. Some of the citizenry may, but that doesn't mean they're right, nor does it permit them to insist their beliefs be paramount to all others....
OK tell me how you know what is right.

Forum List

Back