If you are human, you are not capable of understanding God.

Gods are far beyond the human capacity to understand and define.
All the evidence points to humans creating gods willy nilly, both for good and bad human purposes. Since there aren't really any gods, just as there aren't really any Santa Clauses or Easter Bunnies, there's really nothing further "to understand and define." Fear of death is quite understandable. Mortality persists for all plants and animals. Best to quickly get over it and focus upon doing things more useful than effectively just wishing it weren't so all your life. Don't be stupid.
Since there aren't really any gods, just as there aren't really any Santa Clauses or Easter Bunnies, there's really nothing further "to understand and define.
the former is not a reason for your latter conclusion, grumble - in fact is disingenuous to the extreme though not necessary for pursuit if so inclined.

and the former though definable is surly as the thread imposes an exercise of dexterity than physical content. the metaphysical forces responsible for life that may be the ultimate goal for its physiological product as being the work in progress in the creation of the said god yet to be accomplished in physical form.

those not pure need not apply, for the return trip. for the physical creation of the almighty in proxy for eternal existence for those who do pursue the interest.
You being a theist, your mileage varying widely here remains thoroughly unsurprising.

Secular humanists are not theists. Secular humanists are materialists.
just as christians defining the 1st century religious itinerant to their liking and political ideology misconstrued as it is - so bing distorts humanism to a fashion to satisfy their ideology than its true beguine nature and a secular response for the universe than a madeup, makebelive all in one messiah that loves sinners that need only worship them (selves) to live in eternal bliss.

who's kidding who.

its true beguine nature
"Songs that made the hit parade!"

You being a theist, your mileage varying widely here remains thoroughly unsurprising.
"Songs that made the hit parade!"
1st century, liberation theology - not theist. the religion of antiquity. purity through triumph.

from whence we came - the metaphysical and the metaphysical forces that first began life on planet Earth ... the modern mythological god's, varying physiological attributes and the associated spiritual connections associated with evolutionary changes.
“There's always an interaction between nature and nurture that shapes outcomes,” said Robert Levenson, a professor at the University of California Berkeley. Levenson's study linked smiling and laughing behaviors to the 5-HTTLPR gene, which is a serotonin receptor that has variants ...
there in lies the new mythological gods for discovery, how life began and from whence we came ...

Wow, ya know, I was trying to be funny there is all. You kid only yourself thinking you somehow avoid appealing to your "true" god (being a theist) by adding a bunch of references to "spirit" and "metaphysics" which are much the same. Sorry, I'm never going to buy it. Best get used to it.

Last edited:
Does God exist?

Yes and no.

God is not constrained by existence one way or the other.

No one can impose existence upon God, or deprive God of it.

God is none, or one, or many.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

That is what it means to be God.

If you insist God exists, God does not exist.

If you insist God does not exist, God exists.

God does that to remind you that you are not God.

It takes one to know one.

It's way above your pay grade.

"DO I BELIEVE HUMANS EXIST?
WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"
And so GOD revealed HIMSELF through the inspiration of HIS chosen individuals at selected moments in human history.
Says who? Says the con men who claim he spoke to them.
2 Samuel 22:14 The LORD thundered from heaven, And the most High uttered his voice.

1 Kings 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Psalm 68:33 To Him who rides upon the highest heavens, which are from ancient times; Behold, He speaks forth with His voice, a mighty voice.

Psalm 29:3–9 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: The God of glory thundereth: The LORD is upon many waters. The voice of the LORD is powerful; The voice of the LORD is full of majesty. The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; Yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon. He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn. The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire. The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; The LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh. The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, And discovereth the forests: And in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.

Jeremiah 10:13 When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, And he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; He maketh lightnings with rain, And bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures.

Ezekiel 43:2 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

My thesis is that god(s) is/are beyond human understanding.

Some folks differ, and insist god(s) are understood by them.
I agree with Dan Barker whose thesis is that your thesis offers nothing. It simply begs the question.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Theists claim that there is a god; atheists do not. Religionists often challenge atheists to prove that there is no god; but this misses the point. Atheists claim god is unproved, not disproved. In any argument, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

If a person claims to have invented an antigravity device, it is not incumbent on others to prove that no such thing exists. The believer must make a case. Everyone else is justified in refusing to believe until evidence is produced and substantiated.

Some atheists feel the argument is pointless until the term "god" is made understandable. Words like "spirit" and "supernatural" have no referent in reality, and ideas like "all-knowing" and "omnipotent" are self-contradictory. Why discuss a meaningless concept?

Nevertheless, there are many lines of theistic reasoning and volumes have been written on each. The following sections briefly summarize the arguments and the refutations. Atheism is the default position which remains when all theistic claims are dismissed.

Design

"Where did it all come from? How can you explain the complex order of the universe? I can't believe the beauty of nature just happened by accident. Design requires a designer."

This argument merely assumes what it wishes to prove. Any attempt to "explain" anything requires a higher context within which it can be understood. To ask for the explanation of the "natural universe" is simply to demand a "higher universe."

The universe is "all there is." It is not a thing. A god would certainly be a part of "all there is," and if the universe requires an explanation, then god requires a god, ad infinitum.

The mind of a god would be at least as complex and orderly as the rest of nature and would be subject to the same question: Who made god? If a god can be thought eternal, then so can the universe.

There is design in the universe, but to speak of design of the universe is just theistic semantics. The perceived design in nature is not necessarily intelligent. Life is the result of the mindless "design" of natural selection. Order in the cosmos comes from the "design" of natural regularity. There is no need for a higher explanation.

The design argument is based on ignorance, not facts.
The ignorance is in not knowing what one is looking for. The deceit is pretending that you did. You can't see the evidence for something you don't believe exists. So don't act like you tried to find any.
Your evidence is weak, like you and your invisible friend.
When you can provide a perception of what you have looked for that isn't a fairy tale, we can talk. Until then, what I wrote stands.

The ignorance is in not knowing what one is looking for. The deceit is pretending that you did. You can't see the evidence for something you don't believe exists. So don't act like you tried to find any.
God prefers to hide, what a weenie.
Like I said before... When you can provide a perception of what you have looked for that isn't a fairy tale, we can talk. Until then, what I wrote stands.

I’ve looked for the invisible big guy, but never found him.
Like I said before... When you can provide a perception of what you have looked for that isn't a fairy tale, we can talk. Until then, what I wrote stands.

I'm looking for your invisible creator. What's the point of making it so hard to find? Makes no sense.
Again... When you can provide a perception of what you have looked for that isn't a fairy tale, we can talk. Until then, what I wrote stands.

How am I supposed to know what I'm looking for if nobody else can find it either?
When you can provide a perception of what you have looked for that isn't a fairy tale, we can talk. Until then, what I wrote stands.
I'm looking for god. How many time do I have to say it?
Consider this as you search for GOD: 12 Practical Steps in Your Search for God

My thesis is that god(s) is/are beyond human understanding.

Some folks differ, and insist god(s) are understood by them.
I agree with Dan Barker whose thesis is that your thesis offers nothing. It simply begs the question.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Theists claim that there is a god; atheists do not. Religionists often challenge atheists to prove that there is no god; but this misses the point. Atheists claim god is unproved, not disproved. In any argument, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

If a person claims to have invented an antigravity device, it is not incumbent on others to prove that no such thing exists. The believer must make a case. Everyone else is justified in refusing to believe until evidence is produced and substantiated.

Some atheists feel the argument is pointless until the term "god" is made understandable. Words like "spirit" and "supernatural" have no referent in reality, and ideas like "all-knowing" and "omnipotent" are self-contradictory. Why discuss a meaningless concept?

Nevertheless, there are many lines of theistic reasoning and volumes have been written on each. The following sections briefly summarize the arguments and the refutations. Atheism is the default position which remains when all theistic claims are dismissed.

Design

"Where did it all come from? How can you explain the complex order of the universe? I can't believe the beauty of nature just happened by accident. Design requires a designer."

This argument merely assumes what it wishes to prove. Any attempt to "explain" anything requires a higher context within which it can be understood. To ask for the explanation of the "natural universe" is simply to demand a "higher universe."

The universe is "all there is." It is not a thing. A god would certainly be a part of "all there is," and if the universe requires an explanation, then god requires a god, ad infinitum.

The mind of a god would be at least as complex and orderly as the rest of nature and would be subject to the same question: Who made god? If a god can be thought eternal, then so can the universe.

There is design in the universe, but to speak of design of the universe is just theistic semantics. The perceived design in nature is not necessarily intelligent. Life is the result of the mindless "design" of natural selection. Order in the cosmos comes from the "design" of natural regularity. There is no need for a higher explanation.

The design argument is based on ignorance, not facts.
Your evidence is weak, like you and your invisible friend.

God prefers to hide, what a weenie.

I’ve looked for the invisible big guy, but never found him.

I'm looking for your invisible creator. What's the point of making it so hard to find? Makes no sense.
Again... When you can provide a perception of what you have looked for that isn't a fairy tale, we can talk. Until then, what I wrote stands.

How am I supposed to know what I'm looking for if nobody else can find it either?
Christians most certainly have found GOD ----- they are clearly somebody.

Does God exist?

Yes and no.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"
And so GOD revealed HIMSELF through the inspiration of HIS chosen individuals at selected moments in human history.
2 Samuel 22:14 The LORD thundered from heaven, And the most High uttered his voice.

1 Kings 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Psalm 68:33 To Him who rides upon the highest heavens, which are from ancient times; Behold, He speaks forth with His voice, a mighty voice.

Psalm 29:3–9 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: The God of glory thundereth: The LORD is upon many waters. The voice of the LORD is powerful; The voice of the LORD is full of majesty. The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; Yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon. He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn. The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire. The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; The LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh. The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, And discovereth the forests: And in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.

Jeremiah 10:13 When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, And he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; He maketh lightnings with rain, And bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures.

Ezekiel 43:2 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

confirmation. christianity is a terrorist organization.

Does God exist?

Yes and no.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"

Like I said you based your arguments on a fictitious book.

Like I said you based your arguments on a fictitious book.
Any book-based religion is prone to attributing infallibility to that man-made artifact, a haphazard compilation of aural traditions randomly compiled, arbitrarily-edited, dubiously-translated, and selectively recorded - every stage of the bequest fraught with human imperfection. As with historical textual remnants in general, the writer's fidelity is to an agenda rather than adherence to literal reportage.

Worship of such a thoroughly-human object as divine truth is idolatry.

Religious texts are a wonderful source of poetic expression.

Elizabethan prose literature is particularly noted for the mighty works of translations. The greatest of these translations is, however, the English Bible. This is something more than the mere translation. It is original literature itself, and forms the first of the English classics, and proves to be the unrivaled source of inspiration for the English language as well as literature.
Of course, the translations of the Bible in English are made by different persons at different times, such as Erasmus’s Greek Latin Parallel New Testament, Martin Luther’s German New Testament, William Tyndale’s New Testament. But it is the Authorised Version of the Bible (of 1611) that is specifically referred to here. That Authorised Version came into existence, as an incidental result of the Hampton Court Conference, called by the King James I, to consider the demands of the more aggressive Puritans for a proper English edition of the Bible.

Elizabethan prose literature is particularly noted for the mighty works of translations. The greatest of these translations is, however, the English Bible. This is something more than the mere translation. It is original literature itself, and forms the first of the English classics, and proves to be the unrivaled source of inspiration for the English language as well as literature.
Of course, the translations of the Bible in English are made by different persons at different times, such as Erasmus’s Greek Latin Parallel New Testament, Martin Luther’s German New Testament, William Tyndale’s New Testament. But it is the Authorised Version of the Bible (of 1611) that is specifically referred to here. That Authorised Version came into existence, as an incidental result of the Hampton Court Conference, called by the King James I, to consider the demands of the more aggressive Puritans for a proper English edition of the Bible.
It is original literature itself, and forms the first of the English classics, and proves to be the unrivaled source of inspiration for the English language as well as literature.
surly for those caring for true spiritual purity setting aside those works as the christian bible miss the literary and philosophical discourse they are known for, can also be the price for salvation and a blessing - to acquire judgement for admission to the Everlasting.
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - r e lee
the fondness found for those works is their spiritual graveyard. left without change for their lost aural relevance from antiquity.

Does God exist?

Yes and no.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"
Maimonides responds...

"If you remove all anthropomorphic content from your conception of God: you remove all content of any kind. In the end, you are left with a God whose essence is unknowable and indescribable. Of what possible value is such a conception either to philosophy or religion?..."

Maimonides (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Maimonides was right. Humans can only create gods that are limited by what humans can can comprehend.

Otherwise, the religion business would not exist.

Hubris allows humans to imagine that they can define what is so far beyond them.
My perception of God is that God is infinite logic, infinite truth, infinite intelligence, infinite wisdom, infinite knowledge, infinite love, infinite patience, infinite justice, infinite mercy, infinite kindness and infinite goodness. I am not saying God has those attributes. I am saying God is those attributes. Such that mind has always existed: that this is a life‑breeding universe because the constant presence of mind made it so and imbued his creation with His attributes.
I can assure you those suggestions are in your mind only. There is no God and never has been. Glorify him to the highest but that will not equate to fact.

Does God exist?

Yes and no.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"
Maimonides responds...

"If you remove all anthropomorphic content from your conception of God: you remove all content of any kind. In the end, you are left with a God whose essence is unknowable and indescribable. Of what possible value is such a conception either to philosophy or religion?..."

Maimonides was right. Humans can only create gods that are limited by what humans can can comprehend.

Hubris allows humans to imagine that they can define what is so far beyond them.
My perception of God is that God is infinite logic, infinite truth, infinite intelligence, infinite wisdom, infinite knowledge, infinite love, infinite patience, infinite justice, infinite mercy, infinite kindness and infinite goodness. I am not saying God has those attributes. I am saying God is those attributes. Such that mind has always existed: that this is a life‑breeding universe because the constant presence of mind made it so and imbued his creation with His attributes.
I can assure you those suggestions are in your mind only. There is no God and never has been. Glorify him to the highest but that will not equate to fact.
Where is your proof that there is no God? It is irresponsible to try to convince others to forsake God when they don't know factually that he does not exists. If you convince other to forsake God and he exists it's on your head them going to Hell. Not a very nice person this God. But then he's not a person and I'm an ignorant mortal right.

It's ok not to be stupid enough to believe that some book written by man is the truth of an actual God. But there is nothing wrong allowing the ignorant to be ignorant because you might be wrong in thinking he doesn't exist at all.

Does God exist?

Yes and no.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"
Maimonides responds...

Really? How can you assure that exactly?

Where is your proof that there is no God? It is irresponsible to try to convince others to forsake God when they don't know factually that he does not exists. If you convince other to forsake God and he exists it's on your head them going to Hell. Not a very nice person this God. But then he's not a person and I'm an ignorant mortal right.

It's ok not to be stupid enough to believe that some book written by man is the truth of an actual God. But there is nothing wrong allowing the ignorant to be ignorant because you might be wrong in thinking he doesn't exist at all.
Whether the gods exist is entirely up to the gods.

Poor old Blaise lived out his days,
And gazing on a face divine,
Exclaimed with glee, "Oh, Lucky Me!
I've won that bet of mine!"
But then his gaze broke through the haze.
He saw that gods abound!
By serving one, he'd snubbed the rest.
They stared at him, and frowned.
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 8.57.05 AM.png

I'm just going to quote this, and let the madness of proclaiming divine truth to be a man-made idol speak for itself.
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 11.56.05 AM.png

As a practical matter, it can be a useful prop
for folks who are oblivious as to its content.​

Forum List

Back