If you are human, you are not capable of understanding God.

It means that a god can be none, one, or many - even simultaneously. To insist otherwise is to attempt to limit god.
I am not sure I follow "none", but one or many leads me to contemplating something greater than three dimensions. If there should be more than three dimensions would one seem like many, or many like one? A many multi-dimensional being would indeed make it impossible for a three-dimensional being to truly know the multi-dimensional being.
I am merely human and accept my limitations.

A god has none.

To insist that a god must (or must not) exist is to impose a human limitation upon a god.

It means that a god can be none, one, or many - even simultaneously. To insist otherwise is to attempt to limit god.
I am not sure I follow "none", but one or many leads me to contemplating something greater than three dimensions. If there should be more than three dimensions would one seem like many, or many like one? A many multi-dimensional being would indeed make it impossible for a three-dimensional being to truly know the multi-dimensional being.
That is comprehensible by humans.

A god both existing and not existing is beyond the human capacity to understand, but gods, by definition, can do all things.

That is comprehensible by humans.

A god both existing and not existing is beyond the human capacity to understand, but gods, by definition, can do all things.
We agree on the first sentence. There is a caveat to the second. The etymology of the 'omni' words does not stop at 'all' but at all things possible. Of course, what is impossible for humans may not be impossible for all beings, hence the term 'supernatural'.

I don't think it is a matter of insisting, but one of observation--or perhaps overlooking.
If humans acknowledge a god as having the capacity to transcend normal limitations, that is what humans must accept as the divine prerogative in all things.

I don't think it is a matter of insisting, but one of observation--or perhaps overlooking.
If humans acknowledge a god as having the capacity to transcend normal limitations, that is what humans must accept as the divine prerogative in all things.
what does not exist can not be acknowledged or granted "capacity to .... "

your statement is meaningless without the particular subject being acknowledged to be known to exist to prove the acknowledgement is warranted.

as all things biblical are purely subjective / speculative for their god - the same is not true for the, verifiable, underlying religion. that does exist.

your statement is meaningless without the particular subject being acknowledged to be known to exist to prove the acknowledgement is warranted.

as all things biblical are purely subjective / speculative for their god - the same is not true for the, verifiable, underlying religion. that does exist.
Without reference to the scriptural accretions of any flavor of religion, I merely accept that the generally-accepted concept of a god as transcending human limitations, being omnipotent. Humans cannot impose existence upon a god, even if they are unable to grasp a god's ability to not exist.

When I state that a god can both exist and not exist, and can even do so simultaneously, I am merely attesting to divine omnipotence. Humans can order a god, "You must exist!", but humans should not expect to be obeyed by a god.

I am merely attesting to divine omnipotence.
Omnipotence was originally defined as 'Almighty power'. This is different from 'All power'. For example, in early times it was noted that omnipotence/almighty power indeed limited. Almighty power was limited by holiness...it could not do wrong, and it also meant all power it was possible to have.

Word usage changes over time. Today we should not conclude what was not included in early times. Expanding the definition of Almighty Power to include no power/no existence is reaching. This goes back to as humans we cannot fully understand God, or for that matter, Almighty Power.

Without reference to the scriptural accretions of any flavor of religion, I merely accept that the generally-accepted concept of a god as transcending human limitations, being omnipotent. Humans cannot impose existence upon a god, even if they are unable to grasp a god's ability to not exist.

When I state that a god can both exist and not exist, and can even do so simultaneously, I am merely attesting to divine omnipotence. Humans can order a god, "You must exist!", but humans should not expect to be obeyed by a god.
you keep referring to human limitations as well as - benign religious affiliation ...

can there be a level of omnipotence above the level of purity - as for admission to the Everlasting as prescribed is to triumph in such a way as to become pure, the triumph of good vs evil - the means to free one's spirit to persist after their physiology expires and as prescribed would then become the equal to the god even if not a god.

after the judgement of which triumph actually occurred. for all beings, fauna and flora. Garden Earth.

you keep referring to human limitations as well as - benign religious affiliation ...

can there be a level of omnipotence above the level of purity - as for admission to the Everlasting as prescribed is to triumph in such a way as to become pure, the triumph of good vs evil - the means to free one's spirit to persist after their physiology expires and as prescribed would then become the equal to the god even if not a god.

after the judgement of which triumph actually occurred. for all beings, fauna and flora. Garden Earth.
I do not opine regarding the musings of the various religions.

I merely accept the definition of a god as being capable of all things, including, necessarily, those that are beyond human understanding.

I merely accept the definition of a god as being capable of all things, including, necessarily, those that are beyond human understanding.
- can there be a level of omnipotence above the level of purity ...
sortof wish you had answered the question, is omnipotence greater than purity.

to not have to repeat why you believe - "beyond human understanding". and or for all beings - as the goals to accomplish to attain the same crucible of godlyness.

and if it is not your religion that is shaping your conviction - and hopefully not as a closet christian. are you including whatever is a messiah.

- can there be a level of omnipotence above the level of purity ...
sortof wish you had answered the question, is omnipotence greater than purity.

to not have to repeat why you believe - "beyond human understanding". and or for all beings - as the goals to accomplish to attain the same crucible of godlyness.

and if it is not your religion that is shaping your conviction - and hopefully not as a closet christian. are you including whatever is a messiah.

... sort of wish you had answered the question, is omnipotence greater than purity.
I don't know, but would theorize that they are indistinguishable, inseparable characteristics exclusive to godhood.

I make no judgements concerning the concept of messiahs or other religious traditions.

~ An addendum to the commonality of the various concepts of gods that I referenced, Buddhism recognizes gods that are are limited, fallible, and mortal. Devas, Yakshas, and Asuras are not conventional gods who are infallible, omnipotent, and eternal. They reflect the imperfection and impermanence of everything.

New Topics

Forum List

Back