If you are human, you are not capable of understanding God.

As near as I can tell, there are no religions that believe in multiple gods.

You sounded sincere when you said that. Uh uh uh. I am going to wait for you to reconsider this statement. Maybe it came out wrong. Are you saying that you are unaware of any religion that believes in multiple gods? Uh uh uh . Yeah. I’m going to wait on this one.
If you are talking about the Trinity, it's one God. If you are talking about something else, come at me, bro. :)

I was thinking of Hinduism. Christianity is monotheistic.

An agnostic is just a polite atheist.
A monotheist is just a borderline atheist.

Richard Dawkins says that most people are atheist to the tens of thousands of gods throughout the history of the world. We just go one god further. Something like that.
That has to be one of the stupidest arguments I have ever heard. That's like saying that since I'm not married to every woman I must be single even though I am married to one woman.

Now doesn't that sound stupid to you?

Wait. Do the women which you didn’t marry actually exist? Your analogy is crap. In the scenario I described those tens of thousands of gods don’t really exist.

I could be reading you wrong though. Are you saying all of those gods exists but people choose the one they like best? If that’s the case then your analogy is an extremely good one.
Again.... different perceptions of God isn't the same thing as being different gods. Arguments of many gods when you believe none exist is disingenuous. That would be true for arguing no God exists because many perceptions of God exist or arguing I am an atheist for not believing in the other perceptions of God which exist.

It's disingenuousness all the way down.

As for my analogy it is a perfect analogy to spotlight the ridiculousness of your analogies. I may be single when it comes to being married to every other woman but I am married when it comes to the one I am married to. The argument that I am an atheist because I don't believe in all other perceptions of God is really more of an attempt by atheists to be comfortable with their atheism. Because even they know that atheism is wrong which is probably why so many atheists self identify as agnostic. Deep down inside they know atheism has no redeeming qualities.

Then your analogy was spot on. I assumed you were a monotheist. With a polytheistic world view that you clearly described then your analogy was actually extremely good.
It's a ton of work correcting all of your errors. ;)

Richard Dawkins says that most people are atheist to the tens of thousands of gods throughout the history of the world. We just go one god further. Something like that.
That has to be one of the stupidest arguments I have ever heard. That's like saying that since I'm not married to every woman I must be single even though I am married to one woman.

Wait. Do the women which you didn’t marry actually exist? Your analogy is crap. In the scenario I described those tens of thousands of gods don’t really exist.

I could be reading you wrong though. Are you saying all of those gods exists but people choose the one they like best? If that’s the case then your analogy is an extremely good one.
Again.... different perceptions of God isn't the same thing as being different gods. Arguments of many gods when you believe none exist is disingenuous. That would be true for arguing no God exists because many perceptions of God exist or arguing I am an atheist for not believing in the other perceptions of God which exist.

As for my analogy it is a perfect analogy to spotlight the ridiculousness of your analogies. I may be single when it comes to being married to every other woman but I am married when it comes to the one I am married to. The argument that I am an atheist because I don't believe in all other perceptions of God is really more of an attempt by atheists to be comfortable with their atheism. Because even they know that atheism is wrong which is probably why so many atheists self identify as agnostic. Deep down inside they know atheism has no redeeming qualities.

Then your analogy was spot on. I assumed you were a monotheist. With a polytheistic world view that you clearly described then your analogy was actually extremely good.

Im sorry for accusing you of being a monotheist. Most Christians are. It is rare to find a polytheistic Christian but I know you are not big on scripture so I should have acknowledged the possibility that you were polytheistic. I didn’t know dude. Sorry about that.

You sounded sincere when you said that. Uh uh uh. I am going to wait for you to reconsider this statement. Maybe it came out wrong. Are you saying that you are unaware of any religion that believes in multiple gods? Uh uh uh . Yeah. I’m going to wait on this one.
If you are talking about the Trinity, it's one God. If you are talking about something else, come at me, bro. :)

Do you know any Hindus? I do. The ones I know believe in one God. They certainly are not polytheistic. That's for sure.

I thought you said you read Huston Smith.

Im sorry for accusing you of being a monotheist. Most Christians are. It is rare to find a polytheistic Christian but I know you are not big on scripture so I should have acknowledged the possibility that you were polytheistic. I didn’t know dude. Sorry about that.
Like I said... It's a ton of work correcting all of your errors. ;)

Do you know any Hindus? I do. The ones I know believe in one God. They certainly are not polytheistic. That's for sure.

I think it was called the Soul of Christianity. I never read his book on the world religions. I know which book you are talking about.

24,000 + written manuscripts say otherwise. Unless you believe there was a broad conspiracy to forge ~24,000 written manuscripts... like I already said.
Some who selectively embrace the compilation of historical remnants from which they form their narrative are arrogantly dismissive of the Puranas, the Tripitaka, the Granth, the Qur'an, etc., etc., etc.

For many, religion - that purports to aspire to universality - is actually a very parochial matter.
I’m not sure how that applies to what I am talking about. Again... he only left us with two choices unless you believe there was some grand conspiracy.

One extremely charismatic guy could pay extremely high salaries to people willing to kill on his behalf. These high paid murderers would be given two options. One option would be to do whatever the leader said while collecting an extremely high salary. The second option would be to be killed. Most of us would continue accepting the high salary in that situation. If that is a conspiracy then yes. This is how I believe Joseph Smith built the multi billion dollar empire that we know today as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I don’t see why it would be silly to believe Moses built the Jewish religion this same way. In Joshua there is some comment about all of the people born before a certain time were cut off. Moses was working with a bunch of kids that weren’t alive for the alleged miracles. They just believed the miracles because they trusted their parent’s recollection of the events. Conspiracies can be made up of unwilling coconspirators.

What makes you think that a conspiracy to build Judaism and/or Christianity is unlikely? People were a lot more loyal back them. They weren’t necessarily loyal out of duty or as a matter of principle. Their loyalty was tied to their own survival. Even today drug cartels are able to motivate this kind of loyalty with a more educate populace. A conspiracy is totally realistic in my observation of the world which isn’t saying much considering that I am dumb. I don’t even believe in God.
Cool story, bro. Not seeing the relevance to my argument.

I think it was called the Soul of Christianity. I never read his book on the world religions. I know which book you are talking about.
Lot's of cool stuff the Hindus believe. I can relate to a lot of it. It is certainly more similar to my beliefs than your beliefs.

The Huffington Post got it all wrong.

AB1B4B26-C760-4991-A34D-4BE0A8BAA1CC.png

The reason Dawkins is wrong is because he is conflating the number of Gods with the evolving understanding of God. I am sure he and almost everyone else can see how our understanding of chemistry has grown through the ages. No one says mankind believed in hundreds of chemistries; rather that our understanding of chemistry has broadened down through the ages. The same is true of God. Our understanding has broadened.

View attachment 481315
They sure did get it wrong.

Hinduism is both monotheistic and henotheistic. Hinduism is not polytheistic. Henotheism (literally “one God”) better defines the Hindu view. It means the worship of one God without denying the existence of other Gods.

View attachment 481315
Again... do you know any Hindus personally? Have you spoken with them about their religion?

The Huffington Post says Hinduism has 33 million gods but I am sure they got it wrong. Let’s give them room for a 2% margin of error just to be generous.

View attachment 481315
Again... do you know any Hindus personally? Have you spoken with them about their religion?

Just you.

The Huffington Post says Hinduism has 33 million gods but I am sure they got it wrong. Let’s give them room for a 2% margin of error just to be generous.
Again... Hinduism is both monotheistic and henotheistic. Hinduism is not polytheistic. Henotheism (literally “one God”) better defines the Hindu view. It means the worship of one God without denying the existence of other Gods.

View attachment 481315

Just you.
Then you should take my word on it, right? ;)

If we can know nothing about God, we're left with Cthulhu, something utterly alien. We can't know if any of the supposed pronouncements of this "God" mean what we think they mean. If it says "worship me", it might mean "throw yourself into the ocean abyss, to feed my hungry spawn".
Why would any secure, self-confident god ever say to humans, "Worship ME!"?
because He IS the Sovereign LORD over all creation worthy of worship.

What you said certainly sounds stupid.
Was it as stupid as making an argument you don't believe to justify what you believe?

Have you ever heard of critical theory?

New Topics

Forum List

Back