If you are human, you are not capable of understanding God.

Richard Dawkins says that most people are atheist to the tens of thousands of gods throughout the history of the world. We just go one god further. Something like that.
That attitude is far more practicable than the corollary, the "grass is always greener" perspective, where everybody else's god looks better than yours.

An agnostic is just a polite atheist.
A monotheist is just a borderline atheist.

Richard Dawkins says that most people are atheist to the tens of thousands of gods throughout the history of the world. We just go one god further. Something like that.
That has to be one of the stupidest arguments I have ever heard. That's like saying that since I'm not married to every woman I must be single even though I am married to one woman.

Now doesn't that sound stupid to you?

That attitude is far more practicable than the corollary, the "grass is always greener" perspective, where everybody else's god looks better than yours.
It's a pretty disingenuous argument to say that different perceptions of God means different Gods. As near as I can tell, there are no religions that believe in multiple gods. I certainly don't believe that people of other faiths are worshiping a different God. I think the only people who think that are really arguing there is no God. So that argument seems almost like an admission that they have no good argument to make.

That has to be one of the stupidest arguments I have ever heard. That's like saying that since I'm not married to every woman I must be single even though I am married to one woman.

Wait. Do the women which you didn’t marry actually exist? Your analogy is crap. In the scenario I described those tens of thousands of gods don’t really exist.

I could be reading you wrong though. Are you saying all of those gods exists but people choose the one they like best? If that’s the case then your analogy is an extremely good one.

History is littered with failed or simply forgotten gods.

Would god of the bible create additional gods, to then show to the humans living on a mudball that he can beat them up?

How else does the god off with the Egyptian god of the 10 plagues make sense?

That from a supreme being shows a need to play games with lowly life forms.......,, drowns the world (Noah) then start over now says I will kill off most of you soon (revelations) and bring back a select few in a new earth and a new heavens, it makes no sense at all.

the same opportunity is afforded to you by all the world's other religious traditions.
Not exactly. None of the other religions claimed to be a revealed religion. They only claimed to be men seeking God. Christianity is the only religion which makes the claim to be God seeking men.

Mind you I don't scoff or denigrate religions which are men seeking God. On the contrary I believe much can be gleamed about God from men seeking God. Which is probably why all major religions are more similar than dissimilar.

As near as I can tell, there are no religions that believe in multiple gods.

You sounded sincere when you said that. Uh uh uh. I am going to wait for you to reconsider this statement. Maybe it came out wrong. Are you saying that you are unaware of any religion that believes in multiple gods? Uh uh uh . Yeah. I’m going to wait on this one.

What you said certainly sounds stupid.

Not exactly. None of the other religions claimed to be a revealed religion. They only claimed to be men seeking God. Christianity is the only religion which makes the claim to be God seeking men.

Mind you I don't scoff or denigrate religions which are men seeking God. On the contrary I believe much can be gleamed about God from men seeking God. Which is probably why all major religions are more similar than dissimilar.
You have your favorite religion. There is nothing surprising about that.

That appears to be true of most religionists.

Let’s extrapolate the examples.

10,000 gods total.
One man believes only one of those gods exist. He believes the other 9,999 gods are fictional.

10,000 women live in one town.
One man married one of the women. He believes the other 9,999 women do not exist.

This argument fails mathematically.

Lets extrapolate these examples.

10,000 gods total
One man committed himself to one of those gods. He believes those other 9,999 gods exist. He just chose the one that fit his needs best.

10,000 women in one town
One man is married to one of those women. He believes the other 9,999 women exist. He just chose the one that fit his needs best.

This argument is actually sound and logical.

Let’s extrapolate the examples.

10,000 gods total.
One man believes only one of those gods exist. He believes the other 9,999 gods are fictional.

10,000 women live in one town.
One man married one of the women. He believes the other 9,999 women do not exist.

This argument fails mathematically.
My wife tells me that no other women exist - at least none who is even remotely her equal.

I believe!

religion in itself is the aspiration for the means to accomplish the goal of perfection to free their spirit to flourish in the Everlasting and await after time for what surly will be the next objective to accomplish.
Religion is an exclusively human construct, and is, necessarily, whatever humans make of it.

The human notion of eternal existence is an enduring catalyst in the various religions that have been conceived.
Religion is an exclusively human construct, and is, necessarily, whatever humans make of it.

The human notion of eternal existence is an enduring catalyst in the various religions that have been conceived.
no, mr dictator, you are wrong -
1618760423024.png

transforming oneself from one being to another is not the flip of a coin only through the true religion may one persist or eventually perish.

Wait. Do the women which you didn’t marry actually exist? Your analogy is crap. In the scenario I described those tens of thousands of gods don’t really exist.

I could be reading you wrong though. Are you saying all of those gods exists but people choose the one they like best? If that’s the case then your analogy is an extremely good one.
Again.... different perceptions of God isn't the same thing as being different gods. Arguments of many gods when you believe none exist is disingenuous. That would be true for arguing no God exists because many perceptions of God exist or arguing I am an atheist for not believing in the other perceptions of God which exist.

It's disingenuousness all the way down.

As for my analogy it is a perfect analogy to spotlight the ridiculousness of your analogies. I may be single when it comes to being married to every other woman but I am married when it comes to the one I am married to. The argument that I am an atheist because I don't believe in all other perceptions of God is really more of an attempt by atheists to be comfortable with their atheism. Because even they know that atheism is wrong which is probably why so many atheists self identify as agnostic. Deep down inside they know atheism has no redeeming qualities.

As near as I can tell, there are no religions that believe in multiple gods.

You sounded sincere when you said that. Uh uh uh. I am going to wait for you to reconsider this statement. Maybe it came out wrong. Are you saying that you are unaware of any religion that believes in multiple gods? Uh uh uh . Yeah. I’m going to wait on this one.
If you are talking about the Trinity, it's one God. If you are talking about something else, come at me, bro. :)

Lets extrapolate these examples.

10,000 gods total
One man committed himself to one of those gods. He believes those other 9,999 gods exist. He just chose the one that fit his needs best.

10,000 women in one town
One man is married to one of those women. He believes the other 9,999 women exist. He just chose the one that fit his needs best.

This argument is actually sound and logical.
If you ever made an honest argument you might not be an atheist.

Does God exist?

Yes and no.

God is not constrained by existence one way or the other.

No one can impose existence upon God, or deprive God of it.

God is none, or one, or many.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

That is what it means to be God.

If you insist God exists, God does not exist.

If you insist God does not exist, God exists.

God does that to remind you that you are not God.

It takes one to know one.

It's way above your pay grade.

"DO I BELIEVE HUMANS EXIST?
WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"
1618760937596.png

Again.... different perceptions of God isn't the same thing as being different gods. Arguments of many gods when you believe none exist is disingenuous. That would be true for arguing no God exists because many perceptions of God exist or arguing I am an atheist for not believing in the other perceptions of God which exist.

It's disingenuousness all the way down.

As for my analogy it is a perfect analogy to spotlight the ridiculousness of your analogies. I may be single when it comes to being married to every other woman but I am married when it comes to the one I am married to. The argument that I am an atheist because I don't believe in all other perceptions of God is really more of an attempt by atheists to be comfortable with their atheism. Because even they know that atheism is wrong which is probably why so many atheists self identify as agnostic. Deep down inside they know atheism has no redeeming qualities.

Then your analogy was spot on. I assumed you were a monotheist. With a polytheistic world view that you clearly described then your analogy was actually extremely good.

Does God exist?

Yes and no.

God is not constrained by existence one way or the other.

No one can impose existence upon God, or deprive God of it.

God is none, or one, or many.

Or all simultaneously.

Or not.

That is what it means to be God.

If you insist God exists, God does not exist.

If you insist God does not exist, God exists.

God does that to remind you that you are not God.

It takes one to know one.

It's way above your pay grade.

"DO I BELIEVE HUMANS EXIST?
WHAT ARE THEY FOR?"
Maimonides responds...

"If you remove all anthropomorphic content from your conception of God: you remove all content of any kind. In the end, you are left with a God whose essence is unknowable and indescribable. Of what possible value is such a conception either to philosophy or religion?..."

Maimonides (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Maimonides was right. Humans can only create gods that are limited by what humans can can comprehend.

Otherwise, the religion business would not exist.

Hubris allows humans to imagine that they can define what is so far beyond them.
My perception of God is that God is infinite logic, infinite truth, infinite intelligence, infinite wisdom, infinite knowledge, infinite love, infinite patience, infinite justice, infinite mercy, infinite kindness and infinite goodness. I am not saying God has those attributes. I am saying God is those attributes. Such that mind has always existed: that this is a life‑breeding universe because the constant presence of mind made it so and imbued his creation with His attributes.
Look! You got a jackass to agree with you! :lmao:

Just curious... how many gods do you believe there are?
Far beyond me to dictate to a god how many god should be.

As previously mentioned, the omnipotent nature of god, by definition, means that god can be none, one, or many simultaneously.
Well if you don't believe in any maybe you should stop making the argument like there are supposedly many.

Forum List

Back