If we are going to have public schooling, especially compelled public schooling, we must take care of the human needs of children.

Mr. Rogers Had a Simple Set of Rules for Talking to Children​

The TV legend possessed an extraordinary understanding of how kids make sense of language.​

Per the pamphlet, there were nine steps for translating into Freddish:

1. “State the idea you wish to express as clearly as possible, and in terms preschoolers can understand.” Example: It is dangerous to play in the street.
  2. “Rephrase in a positive manner,” as in It is good to play where it is safe.
  3. “Rephrase the idea, bearing in mind that preschoolers cannot yet make subtle distinctions and need to be redirected to authorities they trust.” As in, “Ask your parents where it is safe to play.”
  4. “Rephrase your idea to eliminate all elements that could be considered prescriptive, directive, or instructive.” In the example, that’d mean getting rid of “ask”: Your parents will tell you where it is safe to play.
  5. “Rephrase any element that suggests certainty.” That’d be “will”: Your parents can tell you where it is safe to play.
  6. “Rephrase your idea to eliminate any element that may not apply to all children.” Not all children know their parents, so: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play.
  7. “Add a simple motivational idea that gives preschoolers a reason to follow your advice.” Perhaps: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play. It is good to listen to them.
  8. “Rephrase your new statement, repeating the first step.” “Good” represents a value judgment, so: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play. It is important to try to listen to them.
  9. “Rephrase your idea a final time, relating it to some phase of development a preschooler can understand.” Maybe: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play. It is important to try to listen to them, and listening is an important part of growing.
Rogers brought this level of care and attention not just to granular details and phrasings, but the bigger messages his show would send.

My experience was a couple decades ago when I parented my sons, and other than that, not so much research or experience. Do know it varies around the country and in timeline.

What the nuns did back in mid 1960s when I was in school, most schools can't do now.
I never advise students to report bullying, even though that is the official position of my district, and likely every district. I just avoid the issue. I cannot in good conscience tell a student who is bullied to do something that will likely worsen his or her situation.

I would like to say that this is because nowadays schools cannot discipline kids, so bullies get away with it. But the truth is that bullying was just as prevalent when I was a kid, and likely was always a factor since the first cave kids gathered around the village elder to learn how to skin a wooly mammoth. Reporting a bully leads to more bullying.

Bullies are gonna bully, and if the victim tells on the bully, the response will be more bullying, often by more bullies. There is only one way for a kid, especially a kid small for his age, to stop a bully. It works like a charm, but I am constrained not to advise it.

I'm referring to any child forced to attend public school.

I get your objection to foreigners attending our public school. I wish that Trump had kept his promise to build the Wall, so they could not stream over our border. Illegal immigration greatly harms the U.S., especially our public education system.

But I have to take issue with the term "uninvited."

While the border is supposedly "closed," it has long been the unofficial policy of the U.S., across multiple administrations and congresses dominated by each party in turn, to allow and invite illegal immigration. If that were not so, illegal immigration would not be so prevalent. That policy has often been made official, as with the various amnesties and moratoriums on enforcement.

If we want to say that children of illegals don't have to go to school, or are not allowed to go to school, since they can just be landscapers, maids, and construction workers like their parents, fine. They will be better off as maids in the U.S. than as farm-workers in Latin-America. If that is the policy, that is the policy, and public school need not worry about them.

But as long as we send the children whose parent we invited to violate our border to public schools, it is foolish and wasteful not to make sure that they are ready to learn.
Trump did everything presidentially possible to build the wall

But the globalists were too strong

I suppose libs will continue to flood the public schools with shoeless foreigners till they break and American kids get the same shitty education as slum dwellers in 3rd world countries

In your experience or research, how do public school ensure that a child who reports bullying is not retaliated against by the bully and the bully's cronies?
This is what kept me from confronting a guy that bullied me in junior high school. However, when I was bullied by a guy while in the Army I did fight him, and I beat him up pretty good. He steered clear of me from then on.

When I was in middle school I made it my business to beat down anyone bullying smaller kids. By the time I got to high school I never had to again.

Cash Cows for Corporate Cowboys Are Tamed Cattle

B students are jealous of A students. That is unnatural; such resentment doesn't happen in sports. Your attitude proves you are being manipulated by a higher power whose wealth is created entirely by humiliating geniuses.
Who are you trying to kid? Of course such resentment happens in sports.

Yes, the low-income parents who children most need to have their needs taken care of by the public schools can take their pick of any private school they choose, and they can drive their kids to them in the Tesla that they buy because Team Biden made gasoline so expensive.

I love how the left is always in tune to the needs of the common folk.
I remember when the Right insisted that people should not have children if they can't afford them. If you can't afford to send your children to the private school of your choice or homeschool, you have limited yourself.....no one else is to blame.

New Topics

Forum List

Back