Debate Now If Trump were to back down on steel tariffs, and the Dems copy this plan, is the Rustbelt lost?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
So, I have this distinct feeling Paul Ryan and others will move the president on his proposed tariffs on steel, I can just sense that he's going to buckle or water it down significantly. They will tell him "look, the economy is doing well" etc. I think if he pivots on this, it will be the greatest harm to his bid for 2020 barring a miracle. He is only as good as his promises, and I feel some don't believe he is going to follow through, the Dems wanted this, so they could point to any promises he broke.

If he does this, I believe he will lose the rustbelt back to the Democrats. Also, I suspect the Democrats use the same proposals he just put forth to take it from him!

Now, I don't believe you want heavy tariffs everywhere, but certainly you need to reciprocate. America never delivers consequences to those who take advantage of her, and it is hurting them.

Thoughts on tariffs and Trumps ability to win in 2020?

So, I have this distinct feeling Paul Ryan and others will move the president on his proposed tariffs on steel, I can just sense that he's going to buckle or water it down significantly. They will tell him "look, the economy is doing well" etc. I think if he pivots on this, it will be the greatest harm to his bid for 2020 barring a miracle. He is only as good as his promises, and I feel some don't believe he is going to follow through, the Dems wanted this, so they could point to any promises he broke.

If he does this, I believe he will lose the rustbelt back to the Democrats. Also, I suspect the Democrats use the same proposals he just put forth to take it from him!

Now, I don't believe you want heavy tariffs everywhere, but certainly you need to reciprocate. America never delivers consequences to those who take advantage of her, and it is hurting them.

Not sure why he would loose the rust-belt, he is trying to create jobs. Everything will cost more for industries in general but without jobs no one can buy anything anyway.

Not sure why he would loose the rust-belt, he is trying to create jobs. Everything will cost more for industries in general but without jobs no one can buy anything anyway.

You heard it here first. Book it in fact.

If he flips on his promises to confront global trade abusers, in the form of tariffs and the like, he's done in 2020. He is only as strong as his promises, and this and NAFTA are the most important for those who looked to him to be the Churchill they needed, rather than the usual Chamberlain.

Forum List

Back