If Democrats ignore health-care polls, midterms will be costly

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
Bluntly put, this is the political reality:

First, the battle for public opinion has been lost. Comprehensive health care has been lost. If it fails, as appears possible, Democrats will face the brunt of the electorate's reaction. If it passes, however, Democrats will face a far greater calamitous reaction at the polls. Wishing, praying or pretending will not change these outcomes.

Nothing has been more disconcerting than to watch Democratic politicians and their media supporters deceive themselves into believing that the public favors the Democrats' current health-care plan. Yes, most Americans believe, as we do, that real health-care reform is needed. And yes, certain proposals in the plan are supported by the public.

The White House document released Thursday arguing that reform is becoming more popular is in large part fighting the last war. This isn't 1994; it's 2010. And the bottom line is that the American public is overwhelmingly against this bill in its totality even if they like some of its parts.

The notion that once enactment is forced, the public will suddenly embrace health-care reform could not be further from the truth -- and is likely to become a rallying cry for disaffected Republicans, independents and, yes, Democrats.

For Democrats to begin turning around their political fortunes there has to be a frank acknowledgement that the comprehensive health-care initiative is a failure, regardless of whether it passes. There are enough Republican and Democratic proposals -- such as purchasing insurance across state lines, malpractice reform, incrementally increasing coverage, initiatives to hold down costs, covering preexisting conditions and ensuring portability -- that can win bipartisan support. It is not a question of starting over but of taking the best of both parties and presenting that as representative of what we need to do to achieve meaningful reform. Such a proposal could even become a template for the central agenda items for the American people: jobs and economic development.

washingtonpost.com

This is from Democrats, the pollsters for Carter and Clinton.

It is possible some sober voices in the Democratic Party will wake up and say "wait a minute. Is this really worth it?" and pull back from the cliff.
Now we have an administration intent on passing a bill opposed by a majority of Americans (the very criterion Obama himself used against one of Bush's bills when he was a senator) using a parliamentary tactic they all agreed was unfair when they were the minority. And if they can't do that they will use a rule that is unconstutional and denies any representation whatsoever.
Even if they pass the bill they will have to contend with states suing to have the bill thrown out.
It is the most short-sighted strategy I have ever seen by the biggest incompetent to occupy the Oval Office ever. And that includes Warren Harding.
If they pursue this they will go into political obscurity. If they drop this they will suffer a short term setback.

Dems did what they always do ... overplay their hand, in-fight, and roundly fuck up a cup of coffee.

Reps did what they always do ... live in hyperbole, do anything they can to the cloud the debate, demonize, and pretend they are willing to compromise.

The end result is we all get screwed.

Who was pretending to be willing to compromise? Wasn't that Obama? And only after Scott Brown's win in MA.
The GOP was shut out of the debate early on. The Dums only brought them in when it was clear they couldn't force this through legally. Now that even that strategy failed they will force it through illegally.

It is possible some sober voices in the Democratic Party will wake up and say "wait a minute. Is this really worth it?" and pull back from the cliff.
Now we have an administration intent on passing a bill opposed by a majority of Americans (the very criterion Obama himself used against one of Bush's bills when he was a senator) using a parliamentary tactic they all agreed was unfair when they were the minority. And if they can't do that they will use a rule that is unconstutional and denies any representation whatsoever.
Even if they pass the bill they will have to contend with states suing to have the bill thrown out.
It is the most short-sighted strategy I have ever seen by the biggest incompetent to occupy the Oval Office ever. And that includes Warren Harding.
If they pursue this they will go into political obscurity. If they drop this they will suffer a short term setback.

Well Rabbi, your plea serves the misnomer tha first; the present Federal Power Structure, serves the American peoples interests; and second that this bill is about reforming the healthcare system.

If one assumes that premise; then in fact, none of it makes any sense.

If on the other hand one recognizes that the bill is designed to reinforcing and building upon the power of the present Federal Power Structure... then this bill and the otherwise irrational drive to pass it without regard to the blatant rejection of it by the people; makes perfect sense.

They're criminals... liars and frauds; subversives of the first order.

Xenophon I think they will lose a lot more then an election. They will lose much ground because this has and is causing this country to pull more to the right.

I'm loving NJ Gov. right now in what he is doing. All states should follow that lead by firing all union workers and re-hire nonunion workers.

I'm loving NJ Gov. right now in what he is doing. All states should follow that lead by firing all union workers and re-hire nonunion workers.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Ever notice that the k00ks never have anything to say about the union excesses??? Its always about the banker bonus'...........
The fcukkedupedness of it is fascinating to me!!!

Last edited:
The road to REAL reform is wide open.

The leading dems won't follow it, they insist on their backroom designed bribe fest.

It will be their downfall, and this mess will never survive, they can pass it, but it will be repealed.

this isn't a partisan issue here folks, niether the dems or reps give a flying fig about you, and consider you parasites.

HC is an up/down issue, not right or left

~S~

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Ever notice that the k00ks never have anything to say about the union excesses??? Its always about the banker bonus'...........
The fcukkedupedness of it is fascinating to me!!!
Yep when I heard this I said GOOOOOOOOOO CHRISTIE...give them hell.

NJ Governor Puts State Workers Jobs in his Sights | NBC New York

Jon Corzine ran this government into the ground," Republican Christie said of his Democratic predecessor, as he described the deals Corzine made with the public worker unions.

With Corzine long gone, Christie is now turning on those same unions.
"It is typical of public service workers in New Jersey to be blind to everything we see around us," Christie said. And, he added, "our state is in extraordinary crisis."
Christie accused Corzine of putting "handcuffs" on his ability to trim state worker payrolls: A deal worked out a year ago called for state workers to give up two weeks pay, and defer a pay hike in return for a guarantee of no layoffs.
But now the pay hikes are coming due, for some employees as much as 11% according to the governor. That's why he signed an executive order for a hurry-up study of privatizing some state jobs, with the report due by the end of May. And he signaled that when Corzine's "handcuffs" come off on January 1, he will look again at layoffs.

You gotta do what ya gotta do

When the Republicans were in control, they had an agenda and passed that agenda regardless of the consequences. They paid the consequences but passed their agenda. Even today, they vote NO on every bill and say the hell with the consequences.

Democrats are just a bunch of pussies

no, the only dif bettween both parties is how quickly they fall to their knees in front of corporatism RW

big $$$ rules the issue

anyone who can not plainly see this by now (and i've followed fairly close since Hillycare) is obviously a hardcore partisan

but i guess that's the only card one has to play in a one party system cloaked in a phony choice eh?

~S~

Right now Dems will lose 60-70 House seats and 3/4 of the Senate seats.

If they keep trying to pass ObamaCare the numbers can only increase from there. It's possible they lose 100+ House seats and every Senate seat

Oh, the recovery will start right after Nancy loses the Speaker gavel, which was the equivalent of having Rosie sing the National Anthem

Last edited:
If they keep trying to pass ObamaCare the numbers can only increase from there. It's possible they lose 100+ House seats and every Senate seat

EVERY Senate seat?? :cuckoo:

Reconciliation NOW!

Forum List

Back