If being born in the United States border does not make you a US Citizen what does?

I've never received a clear answer from those who clamor for abolishing anchor baby citizenship.
You won't you get a clear answer. If birth in the US does not make you a citizen then hundreds of millions of Americans will have no proof of citizenship since their birth certificate could not be used as proof.

First of all the Supreme Court would have to reinterpret the 14th amendment to exclude birth as grounds for citizenship. Congress would have to redefine the requirements for citizenship. Then there would have to be some kind of national id card indicating citizenship.

Don't worry. This isn't going to happen.

I've never received a clear answer from those who clamor for abolishing anchor baby citizenship.

What are you finding so hard to understand about the concept of being born to a US citizen in order to be a US citizen, or barring that, being naturalized as a citizen?

Here's a great question: If a woman is in the country illegally and has a baby, why should the baby be given US citizenship?

And all too often this happens. The problem is--it is in the consitution--therefore until that changes this will continue.

Rather irrelevant to the OP, though, isn't it? Answering a question based on the hypothetical of "If we don't do things this way, how SHOULD we do them?" with "This is the way we do things" is pointless.

You won't you get a clear answer. If birth in the US does not make you a citizen then hundreds of millions of Americans will have no proof of citizenship since their birth certificate could not be used as proof.

First of all the Supreme Court would have to reinterpret the 14th amendment to exclude birth as grounds for citizenship. Congress would have to redefine the requirements for citizenship. Then there would have to be some kind of national id card indicating citizenship.

Don't worry. This isn't going to happen.

No, the first thing would be that we would have to pass a new amendment to the constitution negating Section 1 of the 14th Amendment.

some are missing the issue here....it is about those who illegally enter this country and then give birth....

should the 'anchor baby' "clause" apply in that case?

Here's a great question: If a woman is in the country illegally and has a baby, why should the baby be given US citizenship?

Because, as it currently states, the Constitution requires it.

Not so fast.

Quite simply, the Fourteenth Amendment currently is being interpreted to grant automatic birthright citizenship to children born in the United States of illegal alien parents (called anchor babies because under the 1965 immigration Act, they act as an anchor that pulls the illegal alien mother and eventually a host of other relatives into permanent U.S. residency). This clearly is contrary to the original intent of Congress and the States in ratifying the Fourteenth Amendment.
http://www.14thamendment.us/birthright_citizenship/original_intent.html

I honestly do not really care about citizenship, what I care about are stupid arguments.

Citizenship always comes back to birthplace, either of the baby, it's parents, grandparents, etc.

some are missing the issue here....it is about those who illegally enter this country and then give birth....

should the 'anchor baby' "clause" apply in that case?

As long as they are not too brown. Good ol Rand Paul. Keep talking you putz.

well racist....what do YOU think?

How about being born to a mother or father who is a US citizen?

What makes them a US Citizen? It always comes back to being born in the US border every time.

Nope. It doesn't. If you track anyone's family lineage back far enough, you will find the original immigrants in their family (this is, of course, theoretical, since the records aren't available to literally track everyone's family back that far). At that point, you can ascertain whether or not they came to this country legally, thereby becoming legal citizens and conveying legal citizenship on their offspring.

Now obviously, we aren't going to sit down and backtrack everyone's family history. I'm just pointing out that US citizenship is NOT merely a matter of being born here even to those of us who were. I am a US citizen because, at some point in time, my ancestors came here by legally accepted means and became US citizens by legally accepted means, and all of the generations of my family thereafter were then born on US soil to US citizens. All anyone is asking is that that be the case for everyone else claiming US citizenship by birth.

Because, as it currently states, the Constitution requires it.

BULLSHIT, Polk......as usual you are spewing out Liberrhoidal BULLSHIT .

The Fed Law HAS to be a law governed by the Constitution. Re the Constitutional excerpt: The implication underlying all laws is that the actions have to have the premise of being applied to LEGAL entities that qualify for the action involved.

It is an established FACT in law that one NEVER gets rewarded for committing an illegal act. Or, phrased differently, "one is denied the fruits of a poisoned tree".

Thus, in the excerpt: if you are ILLEGALLY naturalized, you're naturalization is NULL & VOID. If you are born in America ILLEGALLY your citizenship is NULL & VOID.

Obviously. this has been interpreted ERRONEOUSLY by the majority of the states granting citizenship to the ILLEGAL immigrants' babies.

Clarification of this issue is extremely important due to the current exacerbation of the palpably unrestricted invasion of primarily Mexican ILLEGAL immigrants.

Last edited:
OK people who think this is so clear please clear up these common scenarios for me that would happen if anchor baby citizenship was abolished.

1. Both parents are US citizens, but both were anchor babies born in 1990 (not citizens to you). Are these people no longer citizens and is their newborn baby (born in the US) not a citizen?

2. US Citizen women is impregnated by illegal alien man. Are these children citizens if born in the US?

3. Non-US Citizen women is impregnated by US citizen man. Are these children citizens if born in the US?

4. Where does lineage of anchor baby citizenship end? Never? 2 generations? What about mixes of citizens and non-citizens?

Forum List

Back