If a British person moves to Jamaica and has a child, would that child be a Jamaican?

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
And if that child then moves to America and has a child, would that grandchild be a Jamaican-American?

If not, then why are we calling Ted Cruz a Cuban-American.

His dad was born in Cuba, but his grandfather was from the Canary Islands.

His dad was Cuban only because he was born there.

Same goes with my wife...

her maternal grandmother was run out of Spain by Marcos and she ended up in Cuba. My wife's mother was born in Cuba, and then left when Castro came in. My wife was born here.

Does that mean that my wife is Cuban-American?

And if that child then moves to America and has a child, would that grandchild be a Jamaican-American?

her maternal grandmother was run out of Spain by Marcos and she ended up in Cuba. My wife's mother was born in Cuba, and then left when Castro came in. My wife was born here.

I am Canadian by birth and because of my grandmother I still am able to move to England, well Scotland, so am I actually Canadian or Scottish Canadian from my mother side?

I am Canadian by birth and Cruz is Canadian by birth but the question is if he has a right to run for President because his mother was U.S. Born, and until a court says no I will say yes.

As for his father, my opinion he is Cuban born with European blood...

If they have Jamaican citizenship, yes.

True...technically.

But I think that with people from countries outside of America (i.e. Cuba, Jamaica), most of the time that we hyphenate their description (i.e. Cuban-American, Jamaican-American), we are referencing their ETHNICITY rather than their NATIONALITY.

So a white English man who happened to be born in Jamaica, is not ETHNICALLY Jamaican-American, and thus, his children should not call themselves Jamaican-American.

Obama was born in Hawaii. Does that make him Hawaiian?

No, it means Cruz is a bird brain.

Since Cruz's grandfather is from Canary Island, he might be able to say that he is African-American.

If they have Jamaican citizenship, yes.

True...technically.

But I think that with people from countries outside of America (i.e. Cuba, Jamaica), most of the time that we hyphenate their description (i.e. Cuban-American, Jamaican-American), we are referencing their ETHNICITY rather than their NATIONALITY.

So a white English man who happened to be born in Jamaica, is not ETHNICALLY Jamaican-American, and thus, his children should not call themselves Jamaican-American.

Obama was born in Hawaii. Does that make him Hawaiian?

In the same way that being born in Texas makes someone a Texan?

Forum List

Back