• Apollo 11

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 9-11

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Which flag was the most iconic or inspirational?

Star Spangled Banner 1814

1048_Battle-at-Fort-McHenry-628x350.jpg

Ft Sumter 1861

fort-sumter-bombardment.jpg

Iwo Jima 1945

History_Report_Battle_of_Iwo_Jima_Speech_SF_still_624x352.jpg

Apollo 11 1969

apollo_11.jpg

9/11 2001

9-11-flag-raising-1.jpg

I would have to go with Iwo Jima

It was an inspirational image of a nation involved in war and became a symbol of the USMC

Don't they all feature the Star Spangled Banner? For the record, the Iwo Jima photo which was literally a snapshot by Joe Rosenthal is the most copied photo in history so it is the winner.

Don't they all feature the Star Spangled Banner? For the record, the Iwo Jima photo which was literally a snapshot by Joe Rosenthal is the most copied photo in history so it is the winner.

Yes, they are all the star spangled banner....but not THE Star Spangled Banner

For me personally it's the Star Spangled Banner, but the Iwo and Apollo flags are the most 'iconic' for most.

I can't help but laugh whenever I see the Apollo flag pic. It reminds me of the epic conspiritard fad of claiming the moon landing was faked, in part based on the ridiculously stupid claim that the pic shows the flag 'blowing in the wind, but there is no wind on the moon!' insanity. Just never mind the blatantly obvious rod running through the top of it holding the flag out ...

For me personally it's the Star Spangled Banner, but the Iwo and Apollo flags are the most 'iconic' for most.

I can't help but laugh whenever I see the Apollo flag pic. It reminds me of the epic conspiritard fad of claiming the moon landing was faked, in part based on the ridiculously stupid claim that the pic shows the flag 'blowing in the wind, but there is no wind on the moon!' insanity. Just never mind the blatantly obvious rod running through the top of it holding the flag out ...
Fun fact: did you know that flag has likely been bleached white after all its time under UV exposure?

Fun fact: did you know that flag has likely been bleached white after all its time under UV exposure?

You're right; I hadn't thought of that, but it has to be white by now.

I had the privilege and honor to serve in Vietnam as an Infantry Fire Team Leader with the 1st Bn 4th Marines. I do not give a rats ass what those who can not claim the title United States Marine think or say about Iwo Jima, it's Memorial and our Corps,You don't know and you don't need to know.

Last edited:
I had the privilege and honor to serve in Vietnam as an Infantry Fire Team Leader with the 1st Bn 4th Marines. I do not give a rats ass what those who can not claim the title United States Marine think or say about Iwo Jima and it's Memorial. You don't know and you don't need to know.
I've never seen anyone degrade the Marine Corps memorial....most find it inspiring

I had the privilege and honor to serve in Vietnam as an Infantry Fire Team Leader with the 1st Bn 4th Marines. I do not give a rats ass what those who can not claim the title United States Marine think or say about Iwo Jima and it's Memorial. You don't know and you don't need to know.
I've never seen anyone degrade the Marine Corps memorial....most find it inspiring
I did fart by it when in DC...

Forum List

Back