ICE's down, EV's up

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
A Chinese company is ready to manufacture batteries capable of lasting for 1.2 million miles. That will definitely affect people's choices in the coming years. In fact, already we are seeing a shift toward EV's. A definite plus for our environment.

Demand for electric vehicles is growing.

The European market for EVs and plug-in hybrids grew by 72% in the first three months of the year compared to the same period in 2019, representing 7% of all delivered new cars, according to research firm Canalys.

By contrast, the pandemic weighed on the wider market, which as a whole saw deliveries down by 26% for the quarter.

A Chinese company is ready to manufacture batteries capable of lasting for 1.2 million miles. That will definitely affect people's choices in the coming years. In fact, already we are seeing a shift toward EV's. A definite plus for our environment.

The European market for EVs and plug-in hybrids grew by 72% in the first three months of the year compared to the same period in 2019, representing 7% of all delivered new cars, according to research firm Canalys.

By contrast, the pandemic weighed on the wider market, which as a whole saw deliveries down by 26% for the quarter.
How much global warming is produced by making one of those batteries? Fire up the coal plants for more electricity. How much global warming to fill your electric tank? If we only thought these things out.

In a couple of decades all those worn out batteries will become an environmental pollution nightmare. ... :cool:
You mean like the lead acid batteries are a environmental nightmare? You mean they are not? That they are recycled? And you think with the valuable metals in the present EV batteries that they will not be recycled? LOL

How much global warming is produced by making one of those batteries? Fire up the coal plants for more electricity. How much global warming to fill your electric tank? If we only thought these things out.
My, my, are we the stupid ones? Considering that the cheapest forms of generation are now renewables, and that they are currently shutting down coal fired plants simply because it is cheaper to build new solar and wind than continue to run those old dinosaurs, even when they are only a few years old. With a smart grid, the EV's can become a part of the storage system for the whole grid. And it will happen, just as now at least ten utilities are dealing with Tesla and others on creating virtual power stations in cooperation with homeowners.

You mean like the lead acid batteries are a environmental nightmare? You mean they are not? That they are recycled? And you think with the valuable metals in the present EV batteries that they will not be recycled? LOL
Apples vers oranges. ... :cool:
ICE cars have one small battery.
EV's are all batteries.
Like big cell phone batteries that can explode for no reason.

In a couple of decades all those worn out batteries will become an environmental pollution nightmare. ... :cool:
It is not so much the batteries after the fact it is getting the material for the batteries in the first place.
It is the amount of damage needed to create the higher demand for electricity. We already have a problem with used blades from the windmills. Since they don't breakdown.

My, my, are we the stupid ones? Considering that the cheapest forms of generation are now renewables, and that they are currently shutting down coal fired plants simply because it is cheaper to build new solar and wind than continue to run those old dinosaurs, even when they are only a few years old. With a smart grid, the EV's can become a part of the storage system for the whole grid. And it will happen, just as now at least ten utilities are dealing with Tesla and others on creating virtual power stations in cooperation with homeowners.
The simple fact is renewables are only about three percent of our national electric usage. And will likely remain a cottage industry.

Very important point - the importance of recycling!

"Recycling may require extra effort, but it demonstrates a desire for a clean earth....

The Creator placed upon humans the responsibility to care for the earth. Appreciation for this assignment and humble respect for God and his creative works should motivate us to make thoughtful, conscientious decisions regarding how we treat the earth."

Well I only use windmill power at my house. When the wind blows I can watch TV. I don't mind.

I fill my thirsty Olds 78 Toronado. 402, 26 gallon tank. and let it idle all day long next to my kooky Obama lovers neighbors yard. Know how much exhaust that thing blows out with 93 octane?
Wish I was your neighbor. You'd love me.

Considering that the cheapest forms of generation are now renewables,

That's why Germany pays triple what we do for electricity? Cheaper renewables?

Lithium is a rare element, as well.
Wrong. Lithium is more common than copper, tin, or nickel.

1591874271273.png

From the link:

Reuters reported exclusively in February that Tesla was in advanced talks to use CATL’s lithium iron phosphate batteries, which use no cobalt, the most expensive metal in EV batteries.

CATL also has developed a simpler and less expensive way of packaging battery cells, called cell-to-pack, that eliminates the middle step of bundling cells. Tesla is expected to use the technology to help reduce battery weight and cost.

If true there is a definite improvement, but no mention of environmental damage from harvesting Lithium, and no mention of the needed power production increase needed to fuel those new batteries.

Lithium is a rare element, as well.
Wrong. Lithium is more common than copper, tin, or nickel.

View attachment 348717

You're reading the chart wrong ... there's as many atoms of lithium as copper ... thus 10 times more mass of copper than lithium ...

Besides this is an "apples to apples" comparison ... shame on you ... who said copper was abundant? ... and how about refining costs? ... the chart shows about equal amounts of silicon and aluminum ... but aluminum is so so so so much more expensive ...

Forum List

Back