IBM PLANS BIGGEST CORPORATE LAY-OFF IN HISTORY?!

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2014
Waiting on the Cowardly Dante!!
Next Week's Bloodbath At IBM Won't Fix The Real Problem!...WATCH that UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBER!!!!

[SNIP]...To fix its business problems and speed up its “transformation,” next next week about 26 percent of IBM’s employees will be getting phone calls from their managers. A few hours later a package will appear on their doorsteps with all the paperwork. Project Chrome will hit many of the worldwide services operations. The USA will be hit hard, but so will other locations. IBM’s contractors can expect regular furloughs in 2015. One in four IBMers reading this column will probably start looking for a new job next week. Those employees will all be gone by the end of February.....

Next Week s Bloodbath At IBM Won t Fix The Real Problem - Forbes

Whenever I see a company use the word "Transformation", I've come to realize it's never a good thing for the employees. I know with the company I work for it meant 25% of the non-union workforce lost their jobs, we incurred millions of dolars in fines and penalties and three separate departments chose to join the Union after having been part of Management for 50+ years.

IBM's problem is not Obama's economy.....

IBM urgently needs to increase sales after eight consecutive quarters of declining revenue—a trend that’s the focus of this week’s Bloomberg Businessweek cover story. China is supposed to be one of the company’s most important growth markets, but revenue there has fallen 20 percent or more in the last two quarters. The biggest declines have come in hardware—a magnified version of the problem facing IBM worldwide, as startups and large corporations alike shun expensive servers and mainframes in favor of cheaper cloud computing solutions. Changing hardware needs are affecting IBM’s software business and the services division that knits everything together.
IBM Faces Further Trouble in China - Businessweek

A lot of big successful companies have gone down the same road. My opinion is that they became too much like governments and got entrenched with their thinking, job security, bureaucracies, etc. instead of being the innovators they were that made them successful. Kodak didn't move in on the digital market quick enough or good enough.

IBM could have been the OS king but let Microsoft carry it away. I had hopes for OS/2 but they couldn't dial it in. I've worked with big companies and it seems the bigger they are the more screwed up they get, to the point the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Obama backer Buffett is one of the largest holders of IBM stock too, fucking 1%'er

A lot of big successful companies have gone down the same road. My opinion is that they became too much like governments and got entrenched with their thinking, job security, bureaucracies, etc. instead of being the innovators they were that made them successful. Kodak didn't move in on the digital market quick enough or good enough.

IBM could have been the OS king but let Microsoft carry it away. I had hopes for OS/2 but they couldn't dial it in. I've worked with big companies and it seems the bigger they are the more screwed up they get, to the point the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Once an innovative start up company reaches a certain critical mass of customers, they can no longer innovate quickly or react to market changes. It happened to IBM, then Microsoft, and it will happen to Google and FaceBook. It's just the nature of the marketplace.

Once an innovative start up company reaches a certain critical mass of customers, they can no longer innovate quickly or react to market changes. It happened to IBM, then Microsoft, and it will happen to Google and FaceBook. It's just the nature of the marketplace.
I'm not onboard with that line of thought. Yes it happens, seems almost all the time. But take something like the auto industry, if they don't react quickly and innovate they are in deep shit. Electronics is another example, Apple with the iPhone, they are doing well because they did not stagnate like IBM or Microsoft. TV, audio, etc.

I'm in contracting, tool makers are always coming out with new shit, material manufacturers, they all know it's sink or swim. IBM got fat, dumb and happy, it isn't a foregone conclusion.

Forum List

Back