I Went to School in Alabama. We Desperately Needed Critical Race Theory

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Jeffery Dingler

AAMcHzS.img

I heard about the Ku Klux Klan for the first time when I was 14, in school. The way I remember it, my eight grade teacher informed us during an English class that the KKK wasn't so bad at first, that it started out as a vigilante force for defenseless Southerners who were being preyed upon by Yankees and free Black Americans during Reconstruction. Of course, this isn't true; the Klan was always about racial oppression and white terrorism. That's not how we learned it in rural Alabama public school.

Incredibly, this wasn't the only false or outright racist thing I heard from educators in the six years I spent in middle school and high school there, from 1999-2005. I was also taught that there wasn't a "Civil War" but a "War of Northern Aggression," which was waged not to abolish slavery but to "end state's rights."

From all these alternate facts and twisted narratives, I did learn something true: that history is fungible and can be shaped to suit any region's needs. And it's this truth—along with a correct understanding of American history—that many across the nation are trying to ban from schools, stubbornly resisting hard truths about race and American history. The culture war over critical race theory—a loose academic framework that exposes systemic racism—has many white folks in an uproar over the thought of their kids learning that the United States is, and has been, a racist society.

That's what critical race theory is: another take on American history that focuses on what this country has always sought to bury: the systemic racial hierarchy that helped build it.

And that's what many oppose. Republicans in more than two dozen states have recently been proposing bills that limit educational discussions on race and racism in the U.S.—potentially stifling that conversation in schools before it's even begun.

As someone who was born and raised in the Deep South, I could not disagree more with these attempts to stifle an accounting of America's racist past and even present. To people like me who attended small public schools in rural or remote areas, classes that delve into CRT would be instrumental in countering what feels like an overwhelming culture of deliberate ignorance toward our own history.

This guy doesn't believe that teaching these subjects will make whites hate being white. Of course we'll get the he's filled with white guilt bs coming the USMB racists.

I went to school in Alabama as well but it was during desegregation. I heard about the KKK from a very early age because my older male relatives were in it. I lived in an all white sundown town for a long time and the local school unofficially allowed the KKK to recruit there and the "cool kids" had KKK T-shirts they sometimes wore. They were once classified as a non-profit charity and used to stand at intersections collecting donations like the volunteer fire department.

I went to school in Alabama as well but it was during desegregation. I heard about the KKK from a very early age because my older male relatives were in it. I lived in an all white sundown town for a long time and the local school unofficially allowed the KKK to recruit there and the "cool kids" had KKK T-shirts they sometimes wore. They were once classified as a non-profit charity and used to stand at intersections collecting donations like the volunteer fire department.

Funny that you would say sundown town.. I hadn't heard that in a long time.

Jeffery Dingler

AAMcHzS.img

I heard about the Ku Klux Klan for the first time when I was 14, in school. The way I remember it, my eight grade teacher informed us during an English class that the KKK wasn't so bad at first, that it started out as a vigilante force for defenseless Southerners who were being preyed upon by Yankees and free Black Americans during Reconstruction. Of course, this isn't true; the Klan was always about racial oppression and white terrorism. That's not how we learned it in rural Alabama public school.

Incredibly, this wasn't the only false or outright racist thing I heard from educators in the six years I spent in middle school and high school there, from 1999-2005. I was also taught that there wasn't a "Civil War" but a "War of Northern Aggression," which was waged not to abolish slavery but to "end state's rights."

From all these alternate facts and twisted narratives, I did learn something true: that history is fungible and can be shaped to suit any region's needs. And it's this truth—along with a correct understanding of American history—that many across the nation are trying to ban from schools, stubbornly resisting hard truths about race and American history. The culture war over critical race theory—a loose academic framework that exposes systemic racism—has many white folks in an uproar over the thought of their kids learning that the United States is, and has been, a racist society.

That's what critical race theory is: another take on American history that focuses on what this country has always sought to bury: the systemic racial hierarchy that helped build it.

And that's what many oppose. Republicans in more than two dozen states have recently been proposing bills that limit educational discussions on race and racism in the U.S.—potentially stifling that conversation in schools before it's even begun.

As someone who was born and raised in the Deep South, I could not disagree more with these attempts to stifle an accounting of America's racist past and even present. To people like me who attended small public schools in rural or remote areas, classes that delve into CRT would be instrumental in countering what feels like an overwhelming culture of deliberate ignorance toward our own history.

This guy doesn't believe that teaching these subjects will make whites hate being white. Of course we'll get the he's filled with white guilt bs coming the USMB racists.
American Blacks grew up in a White-built country. There may have been Blacks doing some of the heavy lifting, but the architects of American society were White. To CRT, that means institutionalized racism, even though at that time, Asians, Arabs and Blacks WERE inferior to Whites in every way you could mention. Africa is STILL a mess, and nobody's moving to Asia, they're all coming here.

Last edited:
Jeffery Dingler

AAMcHzS.img

We should teach children about diversity and bias. Funny republicans are uncomfortable with these subjects.

I was born in Detroit during white flight. In kindergarten I was the only white in my class. We finally moved to an all white neighborhood in metro Detroit. With my long Greek last name I found out I wasn’t really white. Not white enough to join the klan anyways. My dad was a foreigner coming over here stealing all the whites jobs. The whites at Ford used to say that to my dad. Go back to your own country they’d say. That’s why even though I’m technically white I can’t side with white nationalists. Ever.

One thing I can agree is not letting too many Muslims into the country. They would ruin it if they became 51% of the voting population.

Nice anecdote there, buddy. Allow me to share one. I also attended public schools in Alabama -1968-1979. I saw NONE of the things this guy says he saw. Mobile, AL during that era wasn't exactly rural but neither was it huge. Population around 250,000. There was some unrest but no riots and certainly no Klan recruitment. A tremendous amount of progress has been made but I can guarantee one thing about the forced promulgation of CRT - all that progress will go up in flames, eventually. Be careful what you wish for.

Jeffery Dingler

AAMcHzS.img

We should teach children about diversity and bias. Funny republicans are uncomfortable with these subjects.

Diversity has destroyed this country. We should be teaching our kids why diversity sucks.

I was born in Detroit during white flight. In kindergarten I was the only white in my class. We finally moved to an all white neighborhood in metro Detroit. With my long Greek last name I found out I wasn’t really white. Not white enough to join the klan anyways. My dad was a foreigner coming over here stealing all the whites jobs. The whites at Ford used to say that to my dad. Go back to your own country they’d say. That’s why even though I’m technically white I can’t side with white nationalists. Ever.

One thing I can agree is not letting too many Muslims into the country. They would ruin it if they became 51% of the voting population.

Joe Dufus ran on a platform to being in at least 250,000 Muslim refugees every year. What could possibly go wrong?

Jeffery Dingler

AAMcHzS.img

Diversity has destroyed this country. We should be teaching our kids why diversity sucks.
They said that about the Irish too. Then the Italians. Then Greeks.

The only thing I don’t want more of is Muslims. Keep them a very small part of our population. If they want to breed fin3 but don’t import them.

The sign that said: "N----- don't let the sun set on your back." was taken down in the mid sixties but the black people who lived in the valley knew it was still there in the minds of the people who lived on the mountain. Never once saw a black person in that town except for a single old lady in the nursing home. Everyone in town knew her name and considered themselves quite progressive for allowing her to stay.

America needs to be mostly White. Like 95% White. The 5% should be all the diversity we allow. Maybe even that would be too much. We would be a much better and more prosperous country then.

The sign that said: "N----- don't let the sun set on your back." was taken down in the mid sixties but the black people who lived in the valley knew it was still there in the minds of the people who lived on the mountain. Never once saw a black person in that town except for a single old lady in the nursing home. Everyone in town knew her name and considered themselves quite progressive for allowing her to stay.

Dead Nego Hallow? I was finally renamed in 2019. Unbelievable

I never saw a sign like that and I am familiar with Cullman County.

Jeffery Dingler

AAMcHzS.img

"This guy doesn't believe"....

I don't give a flying fuck what some nobody believes or doesn't believe, on the say-so of the forum's foremost racist piece of shit.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back