I was wrong about Covid 19, and you probably was too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal stories are not science.
It does make sense that young people that smoke and vape weed (or tobacco), are obese, or have other underlying issues are more vulnerable to severe symptoms.
The fear machine is on full tilt!
A 32 year old, who 48 hours earlier was at work, feeling a little funny. Last night he was on life support and fighting for his life.
I take raw data seriously. A 32 year old getting the flu bad certainly is a rarity. Needing life support 2 days later is a freak case. Meaningless without knowing the patient's medical history.

The FACTS that concern me are:
  1. 80,000 people DIED of influenza-like illnesses last season, JUST IN THE USA. That is about double the average. There was no panic, no alarm, no government lockdowns, no school closings, no bailouts, nothing.
  2. So far there are only about 13,000 Covid deaths WORLDWIDE, and we are calling it a pandemic with every State in a state of "emergency." So far, 6.8 people have died per state.
  3. There has only been ONE death attributed to Covid in my state. Last week, the governor closed all the liquor stores.
  4. No one I've talked to has known a single person whose died, been sick with the Covid flu or has SEEN anything that would suggest to him this year is any worse than any other flu season.
  5. I've crunched the numbers. If you take the number of people divided by the number of confirmed Covid cases, that means you are STILL 3.6X MORE LIKELY to get hit by lightning than to contract Covid. And that is only to get it. Only about 0.5% (best guess) actually die from it.
I'M CALLING BULLSHIT.
Then you don't know anyone who knows anyone who works in the medical field.
Sorry, one of my best friends is a doctor, and another good friend, his wife is in medicine. Next theory?
Well, obviously, you're an expert and we can all stop worrying about all this bullshit right now. Thanks for that!
I'M ALL EARS IF YOU CAN DISPROVE ONE THING I STATED.
I don't claim to be an expert. I listen to the experts.
Who doesn't? That has NOTHING to do with what I said or asked nor what you said or asked.
Fine. The coronavirus seems to be extremely contagious, and this pandemic is ongoing, so neither you nor I know how likely it is that anyone will get it.

A person I know who works in a grocery store said people were coming in yesterday and filling their carts and walking out without paying. One guy ran out with an armload of steaks.

These are white suburbanites doing this.
Same here. White guy ran out of Raleys with a armload of cheese. I would have dripped him if I had known he was stealing.

Jeez. Good cheese is one dairy product I have trouble giving up. Armed guards at supermarkets next?
It may come to that as the economy continues in its death throes

Helicopter dollars are not going to save us
No, but you know what will save us? If we all work together to solve this. As Benjamin Franklin said at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independence: "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

I was wrong as well...but the bright side to this is that it's a GREAT time to catch...some really good deals in the markets.
Wow! The deals!
Trump's Corona failure is good for deathcare companies. So buy stock in Service Corporation International (NYSE: SCI), North America's leading provider of deathcare products and services. They own and operate 1,471 funeral homes and 482 cemeteries (of which 290 are combination locations) in 44 states, eight Canadian provinces, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

I was wrong as well...but the bright side to this is that it's a GREAT time to catch...some really good deals in the markets.
Wow! The deals!
Trump's Corona failure is good for deathcare companies. So buy stock in Service Corporation International (NYSE: SCI), North America's leading provider of deathcare products and services. They own and operate 1,471 funeral homes and 482 cemeteries (of which 290 are combination locations) in 44 states, eight Canadian provinces, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
Oil has tanked .......it will not stay there........

#1) I disagree he failed to act.

#2) So is South Korea. The cases in the US % wise are very few and far between.

1.) He should have shut the international borders back in February. He only shut down direct transport from China. Just shutting down travel from one country does virtually nothing in those globalized market place.

2.) Japan is the better comparison. Japan only has 9 cases per 1 million in population. The United States now has 98 cases per one million in population. The United States had a chance to be Japan. But Trump failed to act!

#1) He was getting mixed messages. He didn't want to happen in terms what is happening now. Economy in an upheaval, unemployment rising to 20% and kids not in schools. It is easy to be the Monday Morning QB but this was a very difficult decision. He did shut down travel but the virus was already here.

#2) Japan is much smaller than US and it is not all Trump. We are a Republic not an Empire. Trump was vilified and called a racist for closing travel to and from China if you recall.

#1) Trump is President and when he fails to do the job, you need to let him go.

#2) Japan is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of population, but only has 1,086 cases compared to New York States 22,000+! Massive failure.

#1) People will decide in November

#2) Ever been to NY...people are literally on top of one another. Not the size but the density is what counts. I am not shocked NY got it so bad.

Japan has greater population density than New York State. Tokyo is a larger city than New York City.

You just said NY has more people in it than all of Japan? Is NY larger than all of Japan in terms of territory?

No, I said JAPAN is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of POPULATION. It is 3 times the size of New York State in terms of territory.

So then Japan has better social distancing and is more proactive? What are you trying to say? Russia has fewer cases as well. I believe those countries along with South Korea acted faster because of their proximity to China.

Waiting to act is why the United States is in this current mess it is, while Russia and Japan have a relatively light infection numbers. You could wait maybe a day or two, but that's it. Thanks to air traffic, it takes less than 24 hours to get from middle of China to the furthest point on the planet from there which would be the middle of Argentina. That's how fast this lethal pathogen can spread around the world now that its in humans. The time to shut everything down was back on February 1, 2020.

Stop over hyping the lethality of this bug.

The lethality of this bug is way lower than advertised because we know that an unknown and potentially large number of people have been infected but their symptoms were mild or even nonexistent any they never sought medical help or got tested
I'm sure that's a comforting thought for those people who lost loved ones to the disease.
That is such a bullshit argument.
And that's such a witty retort!

Appealing to emotion is a bullshit argument.

Masks don't prevent the spread of those that don't have it but only for those that do, so why did you give them masks? Your lies are funny.
Yeah I know that now. However that shows my thinking even before it really started hitting. If I could figure it out as a layperson, why didnt that fuckup in the WH know something was wrong? Simple. He was more worried about his numbers than the people.
He did. No one knew what it was exactly until it was too late. Like you, Trump is human. Hell the NBA halted their season too late too. The impact of Trumps decisions has massive negatives on our economy and human psyche. Do you really blame him for waiting a little longer to completely shut the country down? One of my clients told me life was not worth living as he had to lay off 150+ people. He has three young kids at home. Trump is doing the best he can. Even on this board people are arguing if he overreacted. Opinions differ. This is an extremely difficult and unprecedented situation. I hope your family is safe. Despite our feud, I wish for health and happiness for you and yours. Look at the bright side, my people seem to have discovered an effective treatment.

Teva donates potential coronavirus treatment to hospitals across the US

I expect a mass collapse of small businesses because of this. A month closed will kill damn near every independent restaurant in the country.

There are places where I live that are doing take out however, many restaurants depend on their ambience and will still have to pay for the brick and mortar. I hope you are wrong though.
Most restaurants make 25-40% of their income from something that they cannot sell: alcohol!

My neighbor is in a panic, because he has rent, taxes, and a pile of other bills due, and no idea how he'll pay any of it.
Texas is now allowing the sale of alcohol by restaurants for curbside pick up and delivery.
if liquor stores are open it's silly to pay restaurant prices for booze
I think the point is to help local business get thru this, not get the best deal.
It kind of is always about getting the best deal IMO
Not always. If a majority of your local restaurants don't survive this life will not be the same. A buddy of mine had a great idea...........he ordered pick up from his favorite local spot and also bought a $500 gift certificate to help them with cash flow. If I had to guess, he will never even use it.
Hey, I agree with you on this! Everybody should do what they can to support their local businesses.
Even if it spreads the virus more

What a fucking hypocrite you are
No, not if it spreads the virus more, jackass. Where did you get that? Restaurants, for example, are doing take-out and delivery as much as they can and my wife placed an order at a local place today. Also, I picked up an order from a book store the other day. I called the store from the parking lot and somebody brought my package out and put it in my trunk. We didn't come into physical contact at all.
And you don't think that one of those people cooking or running your food out to you didn't cough all over it or maybe didn't wash his hands or change his gloves after taking cash from someone else?

Take out food is not an essential service

No, not if it spreads the virus more, jackass. Where did you get that? Restaurants, for example, are doing take-out and delivery as much as they can and my wife placed an order at a local place today. Also, I picked up an order from a book store the other day. I called the store from the parking lot and somebody brought my package out and put it in my trunk. We didn't come into physical contact at all.
Yes but we need to be careful, not stupid. Take Out will infect you as well you know. In fact, don't pump gas, don't go to the grocery store and DON't TOUCH THAT PACKAGE!!!! Have you heard how long that virus can live on surfaces????? Wash your hands with alcohol (70%) before touching ANYTHING!!! For God's SAKE!!!! Have you no decency????
It is conceivable that you could get an infection from a take-out order if someone sneezed on it. And yes, the virus can live on some surfaces for a long time, but not all surfaces. But hey, ignore all the warnings if you want. In fact, I hope you do.
seems you are ignoring them by using nonessential services

Folks this is another Coup attempt. China is working with the demofks. they are pushing false information. I still haven't seen one person talk about their loved ones dying. Not one. Where's the media with that if this is real? My city has zero. nothing in the hospitals. Call your local hospitals and let me know. I bet they don't have any patients. go for it.
My step grandson works for a hospital. They don't have any cases. The other nearby hospital doesn't have any either.

How many more are there?
Well I've been calling around me and so far, none. In fact, the data that I have from a reliable source investigating in the area is that only 6 people in my county supposedly have it. That seems impossible that if it were so fking dangerous, only six people would have it in a county in illinois.
6 people have it. In my county 65 people have it. We don't know what that means. People are using the term tests positive for sick. In truth it means tests positive but healthy. No recoveries. Because no one is actually sick.

Democrats have flimflammed this all upon us
agree. I'm still trying to grasp how someone got tested that isn't sick when the guidance was to test only those with symptoms. That's why I challenge all of the numbers. all of them. BTW, all the numbers for global warming are spread just like this was. Hence my basis.
Yes! No numbers can be believed! Make up your own numbers! They're just as good! In fact, better! Because they're YOUR numbers!
I'm not a leftist, I reach for facts. what we're not being told is how much worse than h1n1 this supposedly is. let's see the numbers. where are they? first thirty day deaths vs first thirty day deaths. Does that scare you that h1n1 might have been worse? hahahahhhhahaha I love exposing fake americans like you

Masks don't prevent the spread of those that don't have it but only for those that do, so why did you give them masks? Your lies are funny.
Yeah I know that now. However that shows my thinking even before it really started hitting. If I could figure it out as a layperson, why didnt that fuckup in the WH know something was wrong? Simple. He was more worried about his numbers than the people.
He did. No one knew what it was exactly until it was too late. Like you, Trump is human. Hell the NBA halted their season too late too. The impact of Trumps decisions has massive negatives on our economy and human psyche. Do you really blame him for waiting a little longer to completely shut the country down? One of my clients told me life was not worth living as he had to lay off 150+ people. He has three young kids at home. Trump is doing the best he can. Even on this board people are arguing if he overreacted. Opinions differ. This is an extremely difficult and unprecedented situation. I hope your family is safe. Despite our feud, I wish for health and happiness for you and yours. Look at the bright side, my people seem to have discovered an effective treatment.

I expect a mass collapse of small businesses because of this. A month closed will kill damn near every independent restaurant in the country.

There are places where I live that are doing take out however, many restaurants depend on their ambience and will still have to pay for the brick and mortar. I hope you are wrong though.
Most restaurants make 25-40% of their income from something that they cannot sell: alcohol!

My neighbor is in a panic, because he has rent, taxes, and a pile of other bills due, and no idea how he'll pay any of it.
Texas is now allowing the sale of alcohol by restaurants for curbside pick up and delivery.
I think the point is to help local business get thru this, not get the best deal.
Not always. If a majority of your local restaurants don't survive this life will not be the same. A buddy of mine had a great idea...........he ordered pick up from his favorite local spot and also bought a $500 gift certificate to help them with cash flow. If I had to guess, he will never even use it.
Hey, I agree with you on this! Everybody should do what they can to support their local businesses.

And you don't think that one of those people cooking or running your food out to you didn't cough all over it or maybe didn't wash his hands or change his gloves after taking cash from someone else?

it is for those workers. like it is for any worker that has been displaced as of today due to this hoax. The selling point they used was that healthy people are carriers of the virus. no symptoms = has it. too fking funny that people believe that bullshit.

Anecdotal stories are not science.
It does make sense that young people that smoke and vape weed (or tobacco), are obese, or have other underlying issues are more vulnerable to severe symptoms.
The fear machine is on full tilt!
A 32 year old, who 48 hours earlier was at work, feeling a little funny. Last night he was on life support and fighting for his life.
I take raw data seriously. A 32 year old getting the flu bad certainly is a rarity. Needing life support 2 days later is a freak case. Meaningless without knowing the patient's medical history.

The FACTS that concern me are:
  1. 80,000 people DIED of influenza-like illnesses last season, JUST IN THE USA. That is about double the average. There was no panic, no alarm, no government lockdowns, no school closings, no bailouts, nothing.
  2. So far there are only about 13,000 Covid deaths WORLDWIDE, and we are calling it a pandemic with every State in a state of "emergency." So far, 6.8 people have died per state.
  3. There has only been ONE death attributed to Covid in my state. Last week, the governor closed all the liquor stores.
  4. No one I've talked to has known a single person whose died, been sick with the Covid flu or has SEEN anything that would suggest to him this year is any worse than any other flu season.
  5. I've crunched the numbers. If you take the number of people divided by the number of confirmed Covid cases, that means you are STILL 3.6X MORE LIKELY to get hit by lightning than to contract Covid. And that is only to get it. Only about 0.5% (best guess) actually die from it.
I'M CALLING BULLSHIT.
Then you don't know anyone who knows anyone who works in the medical field.
Sorry, one of my best friends is a doctor, and another good friend, his wife is in medicine. Next theory?
Well, obviously, you're an expert and we can all stop worrying about all this bullshit right now. Thanks for that!
I'M ALL EARS IF YOU CAN DISPROVE ONE THING I STATED.
I don't claim to be an expert. I listen to the experts.
Who doesn't? That has NOTHING to do with what I said or asked nor what you said or asked.
Fine. The coronavirus seems to be extremely contagious, and this pandemic is ongoing, so neither you nor I know how likely it is that anyone will get it.
well let's see the comparison to the h1n1 records for the first thirty days. let's see what our future really might look like.

BTW, we already know that at least 23,000 people have died this year from the flu. in fact, since this thirty day excitement hit, 7,000 people died from the flu vs 600 for this virus. and you all ignore it.

Let's see the same report for the flu that we see on corona. you all would lose your minds.

Last edited:
#1) I disagree he failed to act.

#2) So is South Korea. The cases in the US % wise are very few and far between.

1.) He should have shut the international borders back in February. He only shut down direct transport from China. Just shutting down travel from one country does virtually nothing in those globalized market place.

2.) Japan is the better comparison. Japan only has 9 cases per 1 million in population. The United States now has 98 cases per one million in population. The United States had a chance to be Japan. But Trump failed to act!

#1) He was getting mixed messages. He didn't want to happen in terms what is happening now. Economy in an upheaval, unemployment rising to 20% and kids not in schools. It is easy to be the Monday Morning QB but this was a very difficult decision. He did shut down travel but the virus was already here.

#2) Japan is much smaller than US and it is not all Trump. We are a Republic not an Empire. Trump was vilified and called a racist for closing travel to and from China if you recall.

#1) Trump is President and when he fails to do the job, you need to let him go.

#2) Japan is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of population, but only has 1,086 cases compared to New York States 22,000+! Massive failure.

#1) People will decide in November

#2) Ever been to NY...people are literally on top of one another. Not the size but the density is what counts. I am not shocked NY got it so bad.

Japan has greater population density than New York State. Tokyo is a larger city than New York City.

You just said NY has more people in it than all of Japan? Is NY larger than all of Japan in terms of territory?

No, I said JAPAN is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of POPULATION. It is 3 times the size of New York State in terms of territory.

So then Japan has better social distancing and is more proactive? What are you trying to say? Russia has fewer cases as well. I believe those countries along with South Korea acted faster because of their proximity to China.

Waiting to act is why the United States is in this current mess it is, while Russia and Japan have a relatively light infection numbers. You could wait maybe a day or two, but that's it. Thanks to air traffic, it takes less than 24 hours to get from middle of China to the furthest point on the planet from there which would be the middle of Argentina. That's how fast this lethal pathogen can spread around the world now that its in humans. The time to shut everything down was back on February 1, 2020.

Stop over hyping the lethality of this bug.

The lethality of this bug is way lower than advertised because we know that an unknown and potentially large number of people have been infected but their symptoms were mild or even nonexistent any they never sought medical help or got tested
I'm sure that's a comforting thought for those people who lost loved ones to the disease.
and yet you feel zero empathy to the families whose relatives died from the flu. since the thirty day window opened on this virus, 7,000 people died from the flu and you're silent. what a fkwad you are. caught in your own trap. stupid criminal syndrome.

I put this in Politics because if I put it in health, few will see it. As well as politics of this virus was clouding my mind in the same way it has clouded all of our minds.
As mentioned before, my son is a Respiratory Care Specialist at one of the nations leading Children's hospitals and my daughter is a Respiratory Therapist at a large metropolitan hospital/trauma center. When I say they are on the front lines of this, I mean they are on the front lines.
Up until Friday, I was not that concerned about getting it, or my wife or the two of them. Like most, I was comfortable in the knowledge that it is primarily a concern for the very old/folks with underlying illness.
That is no longer the case.
This weekend, all over the country hospitals are getting much younger patients that require life saving care - and they have no other illness. And the numbers you are seeing reported are not representative of the actual numbers. It is higher.
Like many, I scoffed at all of these restrictions the government was laying out. 4 states with "stay at home" orders. I thought this was over reacting.
Until I got a call from both my kids. Especially my daughter, upset and for the first time afraid and scared. "It is really bad here Dad, we are getting more and more and they are getting younger".
A 32 year old, who 48 hours earlier was at work, feeling a little funny. Last night he was on life support and fighting for his life. Add more to that. Kids also.

The situation is evolving. And it is changing in not a good way.
Take it serious folks. Don't wait until it effects you or someone you know. Change what you are doing now.
Thank God our government took this more seriously than we did.... I guess they knew more than us.

On a good note. The malaria drug is showing promise. Yesterday a 66 year old at the hospital was in critical condition on a breathing machine. He has received 2 malaria shots, is now off the machine and sitting up and talking. It isn't working for everyone, but it is clearly having positive results on some.

I would think there would be more young people dying then.

I think the youngest death outside of China, is still a man in his 40s, who had a pre-existing condition.

Now I get it that some people younger are having hard conditions, but that's a minority, correct?
Wrong on all counts. A teen-ager in California has died from the coronavirus. Yes, most people who contract covid-19 will recover, but no one is invulnerable.

So the whole state's in lockdown? :cuckoo:

People really will die with this lockdown stuff.

Wow! The deals!
Did you buy when Obama let 12,000 Americans die of H1N1?

it is for those workers. like it is for any worker that has been displaced as of today due to this hoax. The selling point they used was that healthy people are carriers of the virus. no symptoms = has it. too fking funny that people believe that bullshit.
BTW,
The conundrum these manipulators are in is if I as a healthy person am a carrier, then why don’t the objects I touch, retouch, actually give me symptoms? there have to be more reasonable people out there than just me.

Three days ago:

C-19-March-20.jpg

Yesterday:

C-19-March-23.jpg

Today:

C-19-March-24.jpg

Actually (i.e. later today) it's already up to 49,594 with 622 perished. We're actually about to top fifty thousand, the third country to do so after China and Italy, and leading the world in new infections detected.
Looks like President Trump's ramped up testing is working. Nice job, President Trump.

1.2% mortality rate in the US. Nice job, President Trump.

Thanks for the numbers.

All these members calculated wrong.. You cannot GET a mortality rate if you DO NOT know the infection rate.. From listening to Fauci and whatshername, the ONLY estimates on mortality assume that ACTUAL infections are about twice the "Diagnosed cases" numbers... So don't divide "diagnosed" by "mortality"... It's a guess and the REAL NUMBER is 0.75%... Fauci confirmed that GUESS yesterday...

That's FAR BETTER than the 2 or 4% that MANY were projecting and apparently, some politicos are pandering with fear to the public...

NOBODY knows the "infection" numbers because MANY FOLKS present entirely Asymptomatic, don't seek/need med help, or are misdiagnosed as some other respiratory disease because the cases are mild enough... They are simply (for now) taking the diagnosed cases and multiplying by about 2....
Obviously they have no way of knowing exact numbers. I was using the ones Pogo pulled out of his ass.

I will be interested in seeing how he calculated a US mortality rate of over 62% from his numbers.

Actually the numbers are right off the stats on Worldometer where we've all been tracking them. "Exact" is exactly what they are, although, and I seem to be the only one of us noting this, they're also fluid.

You have 983 total resolved cases. Of those 622 died and 361 have recovered (so far --- which is exactly why I stipulated "so far"... that number can and will rise).

Whelp, then you take the number 622 (dead -- you see, "mortality" means "dead), and divide it into the number 983 (the total). And you get 62.3%. See how simple?
Here, let me educate you since you are clearly ignorant as to how mortality rate is calculated...'

Case fatality rate, also called case fatality ratio, in epidemiology, the proportion of people who die from a specified disease among all individuals diagnosed with the disease over a certain period of time.

IF the disease is REPORTED or accurately differentiated from SIMILAR symptoms/tests. We're not there yet because of the # of unreported, misdiagnosed, etc....
Who cares. I was demonstrating the fact Pogo is ignorant on how mortality rate is calculated. Idiot thinks it is over 62% in the US.

That's changed. It's now 64.4%. More deaths reported.

It's also ---AGAIN---- meaningless unti those numbers have enough time to settle.
I showed you how the medical community, and all other thinking people, calculate the mortality rate.

Only a blithering idiot would think you calculate it the way you are calculating it, which explains your problem.

No, Intestinal Tract, you linked to a Worldometer page which disproves your bullshit.

Let's go there even now, and see what it says. Ready?

>>
How to calculate the mortality rate during an outbreak
At present, it is tempting to estimate the case fatality rate by dividing the number of known deaths by the number of confirmed cases. The resulting number, however, does not represent the true case fatality rate and might be off by orders of magnitude [...]

A precise estimate of the case fatality rate is therefore impossible at present.
2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV): estimating the case fatality rate – a word of caution - Battegay Manue et al., Swiss Med Wkly, February 7, 2020

The case fatality rate (CFR) represents the proportion of cases who eventually die from a disease.

Once an epidemic has ended, it is calculated with the formula: deaths / cases.

But while an epidemic is still ongoing, as it is the case with the current novel coronavirus outbreak, this formula is, at the very least, "naïve" and can be "misleading if, at the time of analysis, the outcome is unknown for a non negligible proportion of patients." [8]
<<
Weird how every country and WHO have the mortality rate at 1-4%, depending on location.....................and you have it at over 62% for the US.

Link us up to anyone who tries to calculate it the way you are trying to, moron. :D

Link is already upstairs in 578. I even had to explain how to read it. Even though the calculation is RIGHT THERE ON THE PAGE.
This is from YOUR LINK IN 578:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Mortality Rate
Last updated: March 5, 3:00 GMT
See also:
Death Rate by Age and Sex of COVID-19 patients
On this page:

3.4% Mortality Rate estimate by the World Health Organization (WHO) as of March 3

So, tell us who calculates mortality rates like you do when you get to 62%
Hey Pogo no response to your own link proving you to be full of shit?

How did you calculate a morality rate in the US at 62%? Show your work.

BTW,
The conundrum these manipulators are in is if I as a healthy person am a carrier, then why don’t the objects I touch, retouch, actually give me symptoms? there have to be more reasonable people out there than just me.

Because your body fights off the virus better than those that do get symptoms.

Three days ago:

C-19-March-20.jpg

Yesterday:

C-19-March-23.jpg

Today:

C-19-March-24.jpg

Actually (i.e. later today) it's already up to 49,594 with 622 perished. We're actually about to top fifty thousand, the third country to do so after China and Italy, and leading the world in new infections detected.
1.4% death rate. Almost on par with South Korea.

South Korea has at present a 3% rate. Read it here.

South Korea is also well past its peak. WE ARE NOT.

Per your own link. 126 deaths in 9137 cases or 1.37%? 3% is from the closed cases. You need to combine all the cases.

What are you talking about, Pigo?

BTW,

Because your body fights off the virus better than those that do get symptoms.
or maybe we don't have it. I get the flu

Three days ago:

C-19-March-20.jpg

Yesterday:

C-19-March-23.jpg

Today:

C-19-March-24.jpg

Looks like President Trump's ramped up testing is working. Nice job, President Trump.

Thanks for the numbers.

All these members calculated wrong.. You cannot GET a mortality rate if you DO NOT know the infection rate.. From listening to Fauci and whatshername, the ONLY estimates on mortality assume that ACTUAL infections are about twice the "Diagnosed cases" numbers... So don't divide "diagnosed" by "mortality"... It's a guess and the REAL NUMBER is 0.75%... Fauci confirmed that GUESS yesterday...

That's FAR BETTER than the 2 or 4% that MANY were projecting and apparently, some politicos are pandering with fear to the public...

NOBODY knows the "infection" numbers because MANY FOLKS present entirely Asymptomatic, don't seek/need med help, or are misdiagnosed as some other respiratory disease because the cases are mild enough... They are simply (for now) taking the diagnosed cases and multiplying by about 2....
Obviously they have no way of knowing exact numbers. I was using the ones Pogo pulled out of his ass.

I will be interested in seeing how he calculated a US mortality rate of over 62% from his numbers.

Actually the numbers are right off the stats on Worldometer where we've all been tracking them. "Exact" is exactly what they are, although, and I seem to be the only one of us noting this, they're also fluid.

You have 983 total resolved cases. Of those 622 died and 361 have recovered (so far --- which is exactly why I stipulated "so far"... that number can and will rise).

Whelp, then you take the number 622 (dead -- you see, "mortality" means "dead), and divide it into the number 983 (the total). And you get 62.3%. See how simple?
Here, let me educate you since you are clearly ignorant as to how mortality rate is calculated...'

Case fatality rate, also called case fatality ratio, in epidemiology, the proportion of people who die from a specified disease among all individuals diagnosed with the disease over a certain period of time.

IF the disease is REPORTED or accurately differentiated from SIMILAR symptoms/tests. We're not there yet because of the # of unreported, misdiagnosed, etc....
Who cares. I was demonstrating the fact Pogo is ignorant on how mortality rate is calculated. Idiot thinks it is over 62% in the US.

It's also ---AGAIN---- meaningless unti those numbers have enough time to settle.
I showed you how the medical community, and all other thinking people, calculate the mortality rate.

Only a blithering idiot would think you calculate it the way you are calculating it, which explains your problem.

No, Intestinal Tract, you linked to a Worldometer page which disproves your bullshit.

>>
At present, it is tempting to estimate the case fatality rate by dividing the number of known deaths by the number of confirmed cases. The resulting number, however, does not represent the true case fatality rate and might be off by orders of magnitude [...]

A precise estimate of the case fatality rate is therefore impossible at present.
2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV): estimating the case fatality rate – a word of caution - Battegay Manue et al., Swiss Med Wkly, February 7, 2020

The case fatality rate (CFR) represents the proportion of cases who eventually die from a disease.

But while an epidemic is still ongoing, as it is the case with the current novel coronavirus outbreak, this formula is, at the very least, "naïve" and can be "misleading if, at the time of analysis, the outcome is unknown for a non negligible proportion of patients." [8]
<<
Weird how every country and WHO have the mortality rate at 1-4%, depending on location.....................and you have it at over 62% for the US.

Link us up to anyone who tries to calculate it the way you are trying to, moron. :D

Link is already upstairs in 578. I even had to explain how to read it. Even though the calculation is RIGHT THERE ON THE PAGE.

See also:
On this page:

3.4% Mortality Rate estimate by the World Health Organization (WHO) as of March 3

Ah, you want an update do you? Basic math a child could do with a calculator is over your head, is it?

Here ya go, first the numbers, because "62%" has almost certainly changed. I'll hold your hand and show you how it works, you just sit and chew your toenails.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Tot Deaths/
1M pop
China81,218+473,281+473,6504,2871,399562
Italy74,386+5,2107,503+6839,36257,5213,4891,230124
USA60,653+5,797819+3938759,4471,3071832
Spain47,610+5,5523,434+4435,36738,8092,6361,01873
Germany35,740+2,749186+273,54032,014234272
Iran27,017+2,2062,077+1439,62515,31532225
France22,3041,1003,28117,9232,51634217

1. Total Deaths: 819.
  2. Total Recovered: 387.
  3. Add those up to get the total number of cases which had an outcome, death or recovery: 1206
  4. Divide 819 by 1206: 67.9%. Slightly over two-thirds.

You're right Nostril, it isn't 62% any more.

For comparison --- China's rate of the same number is 4%.
Italy's is 44%.
Spain: 39%.
Germany: 5%.
Iran: 18%.
France: 25%.

See how those numbers are all over the scale? Why do you think that is? Put your toenail down and raise your hand if you think you have an idea.

I'll even give you a hint. Notice that every country but the US has more Recoveries than Deaths. Discuss.

Last edited:
Three days ago:

C-19-March-20.jpg

Yesterday:

C-19-March-23.jpg

Today:

C-19-March-24.jpg

Thanks for the numbers.

>>

<<

See also:
On this page:

Ah, you want an update do you? Basic math a child could do with a calculator is over your head, is it?

Here ya go, first the numbers, because "62%" has almost certainly changed. I'll hold your hand and show you how it works, you just sit and chew your toenails.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Tot Deaths/
1M pop
China81,218+473,281+473,6504,2871,399562
Italy74,386+5,2107,503+6839,36257,5213,4891,230124
USA60,653+5,797819+3938759,4471,3071832
Spain47,610+5,5523,434+4435,36738,8092,6361,01873
Germany35,740+2,749186+273,54032,014234272
Iran27,017+2,2062,077+1439,62515,31532225
France22,3041,1003,28117,9232,51634217

1. Total Deaths: 819.
  2. Total Recovered: 387.
  3. Add those up to get the total number of cases which had an outcome, death or recovery: 1206
  4. Divide 819 by 1206: 67.9%. Slightly over two-thirds.

You're right Nostril, it isn't 62% any more.

For comparison --- China's rate of the same number is 4%.
Italy's is 44%.
Spain: 39%.
Germany: 5%.
Iran: 18%.
France: 25%.

See how those numbers are all over the scale? Why do you think that is? Put your toenail down and raise your hand if you think you have an idea.

I'll even give you a hint. Notice that every country but the US has more Recoveries than Deaths. Discuss.

Nuh huh... Step away from that calculator.. You're in danger of not setting up the problem corrected.. The CORRECT setup is to take Deaths divided by TOTAL INFECTIONS...

Since the "TOTAL INFECTIONS" is NOT KNOWN BY ANYONE,, the CDC and others simply approximately DOUBLES the "Number of Cases"...

So the setup is (deaths) / (# of cases) X 2)

Try again chief and don't argue.. I'm fully qualified to lay this out for ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back