Zone1 I was a Catholic for 50 years but left six years ago, here's why

As I said a couple of days ago, I would like to talk about the Catholic practice of infant baptism.

There is no mention of infant baptism in the Bible, at least none that I have seen. And, while we're at it, there's nothing in the Bible about young teens being "confirmed", as the RCC practices.

Jesus and his apostles preached baptism, but never said anything about baptizing infants. So why did the RCC begin doing so? I'm not saying that baptizing infants is offensive to God, but I do believe that people should be baptized only when they are mature enough to consciously make that decision for themselves, otherwise, at least to me, it seems worthless.

And then there is the RCC belief in purgatory. My father, who was a diehard Catholic, passed away in 2015. He left instructions for us that, upon his death and in keeping with Catholic doctrine, we pay the church to have 5 masses said in his name each year for 5 years. My mother and I honored his wishes and did exactly that, although it was during this 5-year period that I left the RCC.

Knowing how this corrupt and evil world operates, my guess is that the RCC started teaching the doctrine of purgatory in order to raise money. If it was never about raising money, why then did my father's parish charge to say masses in his name? Why wouldn't they just do that free of charge. How much did Jesus or the apostles charge for prayers and services? How much did Jesus charge the family of the teenage girl that he raised from the dead?

I think the RCC told wealthy people that purgatory is a very bad place to be but, thankfully, they could buy their way out of purgatory here on Earth so that they would go straight to Heaven. Again, that's my guess.

Anyway, the idea of paying the RCC for masses to get a loved one out of purgatory is definitely NOT of God but, rather, the other guy, or so I believe.

As I said a couple of days ago, I would like to talk about the Catholic practice of infant baptism.

There is no mention of infant baptism in the Bible, at least none that I have seen. And, while we're at it, there's nothing in the Bible about young teens being "confirmed", as the RCC practices.

Jesus and his apostles preached baptism, but never said anything about baptizing infants. So why did the RCC begin doing so? I'm not saying that baptizing infants is offensive to God, but I do believe that people should be baptized only when they are mature enough to consciously make that decision for themselves, otherwise, at least to me, it seems worthless.
It is worthless if you don't know what's going on.

And then there is the RCC belief in purgatory. My father, who was a diehard Catholic, passed away in 2015. He left instructions for us that, upon his death and in keeping with Catholic doctrine, we pay the church to have 5 masses said in his name each year for 5 years. My mother and I honored his wishes and did exactly that, although it was during this 5-year period that I left the RCC.

Knowing how this corrupt and evil world operates, my guess is that the RCC started teaching the doctrine of purgatory in order to raise money. If it was never about raising money, why then did my father's parish charge to say masses in his name? Why wouldn't they just do that free of charge. How much did Jesus or the apostles charge for prayers and services? How much did Jesus charge the family of the teenage girl that he raised from the dead?

I think the RCC told wealthy people that purgatory is a very bad place to be but, thankfully, they could buy their way out of purgatory here on Earth so that they would go straight to Heaven. Again, that's my guess.

Anyway, the idea of paying the RCC for masses to get a loved one out of purgatory is definitely NOT of God but, rather, the other guy, or so I believe.
James 5:15-16

15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Just about any Catholic Church will say a mass for someone and if the person requesting the mass cannot afford to make a donation, it can be waived.

According to Church law, priests may accept a donation — often around $10 per Mass — for offering the celebration for that intention. If someone is unable to provide the donation, but would really like a Mass intention to be said, the stipend can also be waived.

Not only that but if that person truly is poor, the Catholic Church will provide aid to that person. The Catholic Church is the single most charitable organization on the planet.

It provides upwards of 50% of all social services in the United States:

When you make a donation to the Catholic Church, you are donating to the most charitable organization on Earth. When you give a donation for a mass, you are also making a personal sacrifice, making yourself contrite in Spirit, while mourning the loss of a loved one.

Isaiah 57:15

For this is what the high and exalted One says—
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
“I live in a high and holy place,
but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.

Matthew 5:3-5

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.

James 5:15-16

15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Just about any Catholic Church will say a mass for someone and if the person requesting the mass cannot afford to make a donation, it can be waived.

According to Church law, priests may accept a donation — often around $10 per Mass — for offering the celebration for that intention. If someone is unable to provide the donation, but would really like a Mass intention to be said, the stipend can also be waived.

Not only that but if that person truly is poor, the Catholic Church will provide aid to that person. The Catholic Church is the single most charitable organization on the planet.

It provides upwards of 50% of all social services in the United States:

When you make a donation to the Catholic Church, you are donating to the most charitable organization on Earth. When you give a donation for a mass, you are also making a personal sacrifice, making yourself contrite in Spirit, while mourning the loss of a loved one.

Isaiah 57:15

For this is what the high and exalted One says—
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
“I live in a high and holy place,
but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.

Matthew 5:3-5

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Great post!

Yes, Catholic Charities has done much good for the people of the world but it also glorifies Mary and the saints to a level that is on par with God.

Once a person dies they are judged and sentenced, either to Heaven or to the temporary (this age) crucible otherwise known as the "Lake of Fire", as discussed here: Zone1 - The "Lake of Fire" (Hell) is temporary, punitive, purifying, & restorative

But the word of God cannot be denied and I appreciate your scriptural response wherein we are told to pray for one another, although I believe the context of that verse is that we are to pray for the living. However, I will confess to having prayed to God on behalf of passed loved ones. I'm sure that God appreciates our loving efforts on behalf of those that have passed. However, it is ultimately up to that individual to go to God - or not. All the praying in the world won't send that person to God unless they choose to go to him. In the end, ALL will go to God but some will have to go through "Hell" before they willingly go to God.

Romans 10:9 ESV
9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

2 Phillipians 2:10-11 ESV
10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Do you believe that men in the RCC created the Bible or do you believe that men, inspired and led by the Holy Spirit, did so? Please don't take my word for anything, my brother, but look to what God says.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God[a] may be complete, equipped for every good work.
If they collected the books (i.e. they didn't canonize every text) to further their heretical purposes then I don't see how you aren't invalidating the text you hold sacred. I don't have that problem because I don't believe as you do about the Church.

I am a very simple, flawed, human being. I just go by what God says through the scriptures that he gave to us. If you have seen anything that I have said that contradicts scripture, please let me know so that I can better understand God and what is of God and what is NOT of God.
Where did you get the impression that I have seen anything that contradicts scripture?

I believe I qualified my statement with "if you have seen".
Why did you feel you had to make the statement to begin with? Kind of an odd statement to make out of the blue. I wondered what prompted it.

They must reach the age of accountability.

When the people came to John the Baptist to be baptized, John often sent them away, telling them to return when they have "fruit, fit for repentance." In other words, come back when you have displayed a broken, contrite heart that exemplifies a spirit of repentance

I was baptized into the Catholic Church (hereafter referred to as the RCC) as an infant. I attended Catholic schools from 1st grade through high school. I attended Mass every week. I was even an altar boy. But about six years ago, at the ripe old age of 50, I determined that the RCC was NOT what it claimed to be and that, in fact, it teaches many heresies.

It wasn't for one reason but, rather, many. But for brevity purposes in my opening post, I will focus on one of those reasons in this post and then will add more as I go.

Before I do, however, please understand that I am NOT attacking Catholics, of whom many are very Godly people, my late father being one of them.

It became clear to me that Jesus's "church" here on Earth wasn't an institution or an organization but, rather, his body of believers, which includes many faithful Christians of many denominations. Why do I believe this?

Jesus told Peter that he was a rock and that on "this" rock, which was/is him (Jesus/God), he would build his church.

Matthew 16:18 YLT (Young's Literal Translation)
And I also say to thee, that thou art a rock, and upon this rock I will build my assembly, and gates of Hades shall not prevail against it;

The King Jame's Version (KJV) says it slightly differently:
Matthew 16:18 KJV
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

One can argue that the KJV is the "better" translation (it's not) and say that Peter IS the "rock". However, in scripture, God & Jesus are referred to as the rock many times, as well as a "foundation" and a "cornerstone". Let me share them with you below.

1 Samuel 2:2 ESV
“There is none holy like the Lord: for there is none besides you; there is no rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2
He said, “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,

Psalm 62:6 ESV
He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.

Psalm 144:1 ESV
Of David. Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;

1 Corinthians 10:1-4 ESV
For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.

Psalm 18:46 ESV
The Lord lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation—

Matthew 7:24-25 ESV
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.

Psalm 19:14 ESV
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

1 Peter 2:7-9 ESV
So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do. But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Isaiah 26:4 ESV
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.

Psalm 18:1-2 ESV
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, the servant of the Lord, who addressed the words of this song to the Lord on the day when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. He said: I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

1 Corinthians 3:11-16 ESV
For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

Isaiah 51:1 ESV
“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, you who seek the Lord: look to the rock from which you were hewn, and to the quarry from which you were dug.

Psalm 61:1-3 ESV
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. Of David. Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.

Acts 4:11-13 ESV
This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone.
(Note: It's interesting to me that the verse in Acts 4:11-13 refers to Jesus as a "stone" rather than a rock).

1 Peter 2:4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

I have concluded that Peter was a rock, as were Paul, John, Matthew, etc., but Peter was not the rock. The rock was, is, and always will be God.
Peter is the rock. His name means "rock" in Greek.

Peter is "a" rock; God is THE rock.
It is provable fact that the Catholic Church was founded by Peter 2000 years ago and that all priests of the Catholic Church have their power through Apostolic succession. No other church can make that claim.

Protestants know this but make goofy arguments based on selective quotations from the Bible.

I've been an RC for 66 years and frankly with most of the Protestant stuff I see on here; I refer you to Thomas Aquinas and the Catholic Catechism. I like the bit that says "and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it"..........so I know whose side I'm on.

ps: no self respecting Prod church would have me, so I guess I'm just glad that the Catholics accept such unholy critters like me.

Shalom and God Bless!!

Greg

I get along more with Jewish and Muslim citizens than I do many Catholics. Many of them are more progressive and embracing of Jesuses teachings even if they don't follow Jesus per se.

Maybe it's just a Canadian thing but I've met many Catholics who don't follow Jesuses words much at all. It's a shame really that a few who are profoundly stuck in my memory ruin the reputation of others.

More true Catholics of Faith need to take centre stage, especially in Canada.

There is mention in the Bible. In Acts, it says that whole households were baptized, which obviously would include babies and young children.

And all God's truth cannot... repeat: CANNOT be crammed into one book. That is why Jesus founded a CHURCH, to teach us ALL we need to know.. and DO

I get along more with Jewish and Muslim citizens than I do many Catholics. Many of them are more progressive and embracing of Jesuses teachings even if they don't follow Jesus per se.

Maybe it's just a Canadian thing but I've met many Catholics who don't follow Jesuses words much at all. It's a shame really that a few who are profoundly stuck in my memory ruin the reputation of others.

More true Catholics of Faith need to take centre stage, especially in Canada.
I used to have about the same thoughts about a lot of Catholics I knew, that they didn't seem to take Jesus very seriously Monday through Saturday. Some, once they left the Church, basically lived not much differently than pagans/unbelievers.

But then I had the great fortune to go to this one Church (wish I could go there now.. sigh). The people there helped out the homeless, prayed for one another and spend time in the Real Presence. It kind of blew me away.

Having a devout priest was likely the primary thing..

So here is the way an adult Catholic looks at all of this:
  • The Church (that is, the Roman Catholic Church) is a HUMAN institution. God doesn't step into every Church leader or member's heart make them individually infallible. You can't point to something bad that some one did, or some Church policy or teaching that was later reversed and say, "Well, I guess it's all bullshit."
  • The Church now has and basically has always had an army of linguists, theologians, and historians whose whole focus is maintaining consistency between/among the Scriptures, traditions, and contemporary teachings. For any individual today (or ever) to say, "Well, I read the Bible and came to a different conclusion," is pathetic, arrogant, and stupid. Sorry.
  • If an adult Catholic has the sorts of questions that the OP apparently has, the proper route to The Truth is to explore Catholic Apologetics, which is basically the study of relating Catholic teachings to the aforesaid sources. When one takes the time to go this route, one INVARIABLY finds that things like purgatory, the exaltation of the Blessed Mother, indulgences, and so on are ALL based in both the Scriptures and in the early traditions of the Church.
  • Most Catholics have a very primitive and simplistic view of our basic theology. They don't dig beneath the surface because usually they were raised to believe that the Church won't steer you wrong. That works.
  • It is a trait of Boomers and all subsequent generations (thank the Draft Dodgers who took over Academe) believe that it is intellectually superior to point to things that "everyone believes" and "prove" them wrong. That conceit is very tiring when seen over and over again for the past 60 years. The OP is a good example of the phenomenon.
  • The Catholic Church has its problems, particularly with the pedophilia scandal, but is remains the only truly Apostolic church. And that is significant.
  • Catholicism is the worst Torah-based religion, except for all the others.

So here is the way an adult Catholic looks at all of this:
  • The Church (that is, the Roman Catholic Church) is a HUMAN institution. God doesn't step into every Church leader or member's heart make them individually infallible. You can't point to something bad that some one did, or some Church policy or teaching that was later reversed and say, "Well, I guess it's all bullshit."
  • The Church now has and basically has always had an army of linguists, theologians, and historians whose whole focus is maintaining consistency between/among the Scriptures, traditions, and contemporary teachings. For any individual today (or ever) to say, "Well, I read the Bible and came to a different conclusion," is pathetic, arrogant, and stupid. Sorry.
  • If an adult Catholic has the sorts of questions that the OP apparently has, the proper route to The Truth is to explore Catholic Apologetics, which is basically the study of relating Catholic teachings to the aforesaid sources. When one takes the time to go this route, one INVARIABLY finds that things like purgatory, the exaltation of the Blessed Mother, indulgences, and so on are ALL based in both the Scriptures and in the early traditions of the Church.
  • Most Catholics have a very primitive and simplistic view of our basic theology. They don't dig beneath the surface because usually they were raised to believe that the Church won't steer you wrong. That works.
  • It is a trait of Boomers and all subsequent generations (thank the Draft Dodgers who took over Academe) believe that it is intellectually superior to point to things that "everyone believes" and "prove" them wrong. That conceit is very tiring when seen over and over again for the past 60 years. The OP is a good example of the phenomenon.
  • The Catholic Church has its problems, particularly with the pedophilia scandal, but is remains the only truly Apostolic church. And that is significant.
  • Catholicism is the worst Torah-based religion, except for all the others.
Almost every doctrine of that church is a mockery of Christianity.

Almost every doctrine of that church is a mockery of Christianity.
As DGS49 pointed out...study the apologetics and the history. Catholic apologetics goes back to early Christianity. Other denominations started in about 1500 years later. My own belief is that all those Christian sects wanted something lighter, easier--and that's fine by me. Still no reason to attack the denominations that choose the greater disciplines.

Forum List

Back