I want to get opinions...

PBlackCrow

Rookie
Nov 2, 2016
Could this work in real life?

What truly baffles me is why the governments of the world have never thought of doing what I did in the RPG. First game...while setting up my kingdom, I instituted government spending into the tax system. Let me explain what I mean...If I wanted a ship built for the armada for example, I would have to specify what I wanted in it, then the shipwrights would make their designs, with the design. I would choose the winners, the designer got a prize. Their respected guild would get the contract, and receive a tax discount, which was good for sales taxes as well as the kingdom tax, which was equal to the price of the ship, but only 1/4 on the kingdom tax, and 3/4 on sales . It works quite well in the game, in fact far better than any system, because it actually was set up to stimulates the economy.

Of course they won't. Politicians do want budgets that they can manipulate on behalf of their clients. Hint: that is not you and me.

What truly baffles me is why the governments of the world have never thought of doing what I did in the RPG. First game...while setting up my kingdom, I instituted government spending into the tax system. Let me explain what I mean...If I wanted a ship built for the armada for example, I would have to specify what I wanted in it, then the shipwrights would make their designs, with the design. I would choose the winners, the designer got a prize. Their respected guild would get the contract, and receive a tax discount, which was good for sales taxes as well as the kingdom tax, which was equal to the price of the ship, but only 1/4 on the kingdom tax, and 3/4 on sales . It works quite well in the game, in fact far better than any system, because it actually was set up to stimulates the economy.

You are making one very erroneous assumption-That governments are altruistic. They are not. They have no desire to be held accountable or in check by those they govern.

Yes PBlackCrow
different versions of this DO go on in both the private and public sector.
Because of laws governing contest rules and contracts, it's often easier for PRIVATE groups
to run a contest. There was a contest where Houston students won a grant to implement solutions through their high school.

There was a contest to write a novel that is futuristic and presents a vision of solutions to problems today.

With govt, there is political bureaucracy on voting for the terms and rules to hand out grants or subsidies or bid on contracts.
But there is the equivalent of a "contest" where people try to get the lowest bid for the best work.

I agree we could and should do better, more like you suggest.

I suggested a contest between Clinton and Trump supporters,
where the bet over who wins or loses goes toward saving
a national historic landmark, and I named 3 in Houston
all nationally registered landmarks, destroyed by developer politics
under Democratic Mayors who collected more money, and made more deals with
financial supporters for their own campaign funds and political office,
than they paid into preserving irreplaceable historic landmarks through their position of influence:
* the Astrodome
* Freedmen's Town national historic Black church and Freed Slave district
* APV public housing and WWII military historic site and civil rights landmark

Well, the winner of the contract would be the shipwright that gave the most to the PBlackCrow Foundation. ;)

New Topics

Forum List

Back