"I Try to ACT as Though God Exists"

Clearly, life is better when people act as though there we a "god," and an afterlife rewards virtue and punishes evil. Too bad that few people understand this simple philosophy of life.

I could listen to Peterson all day.

He's right on this too - and more people should do likewise in their own lives.

Putting the religious nuts across all religions to the side for a minute, religion, in principle, is a decent force for good.

Humanity is literally shaped on it.

I'm going to simplify it here, but is there anything really so wrong with living your life based on the premise of thou shall not steal, be envious of your neighbour, an eye for an eye, murder being a sin, don't kill animals unless it's for food or warmth, avoid gluttony etc? it underpins what humans should aspire to be/act.

For me, it's no coincidence that as religion starts to get removed and chipped away at from our curriculum, Government and social fabrics that we tend to slip further into oblivion.

People act like discipline is a bad thing, like it's a control mechanism and relates to punishment and obeying - nothing is further from the truth because it's about being the best you can and having good routines.

People get the wrong idea about God too. You don't have to live in fear of God per-se. He's not going to send everyone to hell that doesn't attend church like the nutjobs try to drum into you - If he exists, I'm sure he'd be happy if you were simply a semi-decent human being and accepted the basic premise of the commandments laid out.

Trump-Chosen-One.2.jpg

Morality is more about the exceptions to the rules than the rules. How to be a selfish, hateful dishonest person and still feel righteous and deserving of an eternal reward. There's so many hypocritical escape clauses in Christian morality I had to quit trying to figure it out and simply be the most ethical person possible.

Putting the religious nuts across all religions to the side for a minute, religion, in principle, is a decent force for good.

I'm going to simplify it here, but is there anything really so wrong with living your life based on the premise of thou shall not steal, be envious of your neighbour, an eye for an eye, murder being a sin, don't kill animals unless it's for food or warmth, avoid gluttony etc? it underpins what humans should aspire to be/act.

For me, it's no coincidence that as religion starts to get removed and chipped away at from our curriculum, Government and social fabrics that we tend to slip further into oblivion.

People act like discipline is a bad thing, like it's a control mechanism and relates to punishment and obeying - nothing is further from the truth because it's about being the best you can and having good routines.

People get the wrong idea about God too. You don't have to live in fear of God per-se. He's not going to send everyone to hell that doesn't attend church like the nutjobs try to drum into you - If he exists, I'm sure he'd be happy if you were simply a semi-decent human being and accepted the basic premise of the commandments laid out.
"I'm going to simplify it here, but is there anything really so wrong with living your life based on the premise of thou shall not steal, be envious of your neighbour, an eye for an eye, murder being a sin, don't kill animals unless it's for food or warmth, avoid gluttony etc? it underpins what humans should aspire to be/act."
I don't know anyone who would argue with that - religious or not.
If you need to believe in a God to ensure that you keep to those principles then that's good too.

"I'm going to simplify it here, but is there anything really so wrong with living your life based on the premise of thou shall not steal, be envious of your neighbour, an eye for an eye, murder being a sin, don't kill animals unless it's for food or warmth, avoid gluttony etc? it underpins what humans should aspire to be/act."
If you need to believe in a God to ensure that you keep to those principles then that's good too.
The way I see it, if the notion of God keeps even one person on the straight and narrow - then the idea of him is well worth it.

The way I see it, if the notion of God keeps even one person on the straight and narrow - then the idea of him is well worth it.
What if the notion of God keeps one person on the straight and narrow, but turns two people into murderous fanatics...is it still worth it?

What if the notion of God keeps one person on the straight and narrow, but turns two people into murderous fanatics...is it still worth it?
Good question but I'd argue them folk are obviously unhinged anyway and if it wasn't religion it would manifest itself via something else - politics maybe. People are wired wrong.

The continuation of Jordan Peterson's spiritual journey. He has the proper attitude few arrogant atheists here are willing to even pretend to have.

"For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the believing wife" 1 Corinthians 7:14

First off it's hard to believe someone is so big to encompass the Universe and still gives a fuck on the moment to moment deeds and decisions made of each individual human. I could understand how he would want to simplify things to believe in Jesus go to Heaven, don't and go to hell. but that would be unfair to Muslims, Hindu's, and other brought up with different belief systems. \

I also find it hard to believe that I went through all this shit, life, for nothing. It's possible we matter no more than a Tiger, or a fish. But I have an ego and it's hard to believe that. If I truly believed that I would figure out how to rip off banks and get away with it.

And how can he be a just God if he sends me, someone who thinks the Bible is a work of fiction, to the same Hell he sends Hitler, and Gandhi, who wasn't a bad guy so I hear.
It's more likely we make our own hell. We all get sent to the afterlife and run into those who we have helped or hurt and have to deal with them in the afterlife. How we handle our past sins and our angers or wishes for revenge against those who sinned against us will control whether the afterlife is a Heaven or a Hell. We may have to settle for the fact that Hitler will arrive to the same afterlife as Mother Mary, Gandhi, and myself. Unpunished for his sins but also unrewarded for their goodness. except that which we treat ourselves.

I live my life like there is always somebody somewhere spying on me. But then I'm bi-polar which is related to Schizophrenia, before I got medication I heard voices, I saw molecules floating in the air. super vision I thought I had. I ran into psychics who read my mind, and ghosts in the corner of my eyes. How much of that was true and how much of delusional I don't know. But it's all gone now that I'm on this medication. But I still have the haunted feeling that I'm being watched, judged, and considered. Sometimes things happens that save me from my own mistakes that makes no sense. I have alot of extremely lucky events to speak of, and yet I'm creeping and crawling with just the bare minimum that I need to survive. I never have more than I need, for long some emergency pops up. I always have what I need, when I need it. Is that God? or an army of spirits covering my ass? or am I imagining things. So while I don't try to be perfect, I pirate movies and games without guild, I tend to live my life like I have no secrets from someone keeping their eye on me.

Clearly, life is better when people act as though there we a "god," and an afterlife rewards virtue and punishes evil. Too bad that few people understand this simple philosophy of life.
That is not true. In the name of God someone crashed planes into the Worlds Tower.
In the name of God we converted or burned at the stake heretics.
In the name of God we create special groups that are made up of employers and recruiters of businesses who only hire those recommended from their group so as to insure everyone employed belongs to their religion and their religion only. excepting others only when they have to but insuring their secret cabal has the fast path to promotions as well. I pretended to be a christian to join my sisters group and got a great career and job by doing so. They would not of hired me if they knew I was agnostic. It happens in todays world.

What if you are sexually attracted to underage girls or boys but for the fear of God you don't do anything beyond dreaming about your potential activities and live a life of purity doing good and giving paying your rent providing for your family should you go to heaven or hell if your born a sinner but you control your cravings?

What if you were born of a different religion and had that pounded in your head but believed in peace and non-violence, like Gandhi, should you still go to Hell because you don't believe in Jesus?

What if you believed in Jesus and God and killed millions in the name of your religion heretics do you think God would accept you in his loving arms just because you believed Jesus died for your sins.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Oh that'd be sort of ok, if accepting the huge generalities. One doesn't need a god to live based on those premises.

Gandhi said it best, in words to the effect that he liked Christianity but the Christians spoiled it.

Good question but I'd argue them folk are obviously unhinged anyway and if it wasn't religion it would manifest itself via something else - politics maybe. People are wired wrong.
The one person that is "good" better represents the religion than the two people that are "bad"?
How do we know that's true if the "bad" people outweigh the "good" people by 100%?

The one person that is "good" better represents the religion than the two people that are "bad"?
How do we know that's true if the "bad" people outweigh the "good" people by 100%?
I’d say so tbh yeah. If you’re bad you’re bad. I believe you’re born bad but people who aren’t necessarily bad people could become good people due to living their life correctly if they’re religious

don’t get too hung up on me saying 1 person - that was more a figure of speech

Clearly, life is better when people act as though there we a "god," and an afterlife rewards virtue and punishes evil.
No, that makes us mindless sheep. Clearly the world is better when we discard our first and worst attempts at morality (ancient religion) and reason our way to better morality. That's why you are morally superior to the average human from 800 years ago, despite carrying around the same, iron age instruction book. The Bible didn't change. Cumu8lative, secular knowledge changed, informing our reasoning.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Forum List

Back