I thought DVD's would play better on a Laptop than they would on a DVD player

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
I been watching DVD's on my laptop since April and recently I had a issue with some DVD that was not a commercial release. It was freezing and skipping but I thought that would be more likely on a DVD player instead of a Laptop. The person I bought the DVD;s from claim no one else had a issue so maybe its my laptop. Am I the only one who thought that DVD's would always play better on a laptop over a DVD player?

Depends on what kind of laptop you have, and what kind of CD reader that it is equipped with. I know that not all sound cards are of the same quality, I'd think the same would hold true when it comes to CD readers.

Would probably also depend on what kind of chip you're running. Some run graphics better than others, which is why some gamers will only purchase high graphic quality computers with fast speed.

Depends on what kind of laptop you have, and what kind of CD reader that it is equipped with. I know that not all sound cards are of the same quality, I'd think the same would hold true when it comes to CD readers.

Would probably also depend on what kind of chip you're running. Some run graphics better than others, which is why some gamers will only purchase high graphic quality computers with fast speed.

Found out the DVD on the laptop, sMedio True DVD is not compatiable with DVD-R Discs only commercial discs

Not at all.
A DVD player places all of it's memory and processing power into video alone.
A laptop, especially cheaper laptops, place little of it's memory and processing into video.

Am I the only one who thought that DVD's would always play better on a laptop over a DVD player?

A DVD player has less processing power than a PC, but doesn't run anything except the video codec software. The video codec software on a DVD player is ASIC-based and not run from a hard drive. Also, even if you're only running the DVD on your PC, there are dozens of background processes not related to the DVD player that are sucking up CPU, memory, and disk access.

A dedicated DVD player is dedicating all its resources to playing your disk.

Me too, my opinion based on experience is that DVD's play better on laptops than on DVD player. One of my bases are the scratches on the disc, while DVD players cannot read the area, it runs smoothly on laptops.

I been watching DVD's on my laptop since April and recently I had a issue with some DVD that was not a commercial release. It was freezing and skipping but I thought that would be more likely on a DVD player instead of a Laptop. The person I bought the DVD;s from claim no one else had a issue so maybe its my laptop. Am I the only one who thought that DVD's would always play better on a laptop over a DVD player?
Just in case wash the DVDs with warm water and dish soap using a soft rag or washcloth (side that it reads from not the label side).
You may have to scrub it a couple of times to make sure all body oils and dirt come off then try it. DO NOT use anything abrasive!

Just in case wash the DVDs with warm water and dish soap using a soft rag or washcloth (side that it reads from not the label side).
You may have to scrub it a couple of times to make sure all body oils and dirt come off then try it. DO NOT use anything abrasive!

I ended up getting a LG DVD player for $30 and all the DVD's plays Great!!

New Topics

Forum List

Back