I suspect that my dog may have had a nightmare about me. Anyone else experience something similar?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
My dog was sleeping, woke up in a bit of a frenzy and his head was turning back and forth, frantically looking around for something, his eyes half open not even fully adjusted to the light.

I was lying on the couch slightly out of his sight from where he was lying. He got up, walked quickly towards my whimpering and licking me in the face uncontrollably. He kept whimpering and sat down beside me, urging me to pet him and soothed him while licking my face.

The last time he reacted in such a way was when our cat died. He moaned loudly and tried to awaken her dormant body to no avail.

I'm starting to worry if he experienced a nightmare in which something happened to me, or, maybe one in which something bad happened to him. Was a sad moment which shook me up slightly as it's not nice to see a dog in discomfort. I hope he didn't have a premonition.

Anyone else have something similar happen to them with their pet?

Last edited:
My dog was sleeping, woke up in a bit of a frenzy and his head was turning back and forth, frantically looking around for something, his eyes half open not even fully adjusted to the light.

I was lying on the couch slightly out of his sight from where he was lying. He got up, walked quickly towards my whimpering and licking me in the face uncontrollably. He kept whimpering and sat down beside me, urging me to pet him and soothed him while licking my face.

The last time he reacted in such a way was when our cat died. He moaned loudly and tried to awaken her dormant body to no avail.

I'm starting to worry if he experienced a nightmare in which something happened to me, or, maybe one in which something bad happened to him. Was a sat moment which shook me up slightly as it's not nice to see a dog in discomfort. I hope he didn't have a premonition.

I've had my dogs wake up and be anxious about something what that might be who knows.
But yeah they'll cuddle up next to you for comfort.

He's pizzed that there are still no Snausages...

A bad choice for a treat, though I used to feed them to him early. Now we bake him some with peanut butter, or, buy some more "natural" types with quality ingredients.

That isn't the issue regardless, he is spoiled.

Whenever my dogs move suddenly in their sleep and whimper, I always cuddle them and tell them "stop chasing rabbits"

They are both too slow to ever catch one, and it frustrates them terribly.

Idk, my dog used to have them all the time. I'd wake him up and let him know everything was OK..

Except for them times he was giving himself a BJ @ 2AM and swallowing. I ignored that, or tried to.

Yeah, that was pretty gross.

It kinda sucks to wake up to that going on. Do not wonder why I let him roam when there were bitches in heat around.

He was a great dog! Hope I see him again someday.

Last edited:
Your dog seems worried about you for some reason. I had a dog that would suddenly act really crazy and mean for no reason. He bit someone and got put down. The vet gave him a tranq shot prior to the death jab. His reaction to the tranq shot told the vet he had a brain problem. She said he would have probably experienced horrible pain from time to time because of his condition which would explain the horrendous mood swings. He was a 'pure bred' and I suspect a lot of inbreeding took place. Pisses me off, I loved that dog. Fuck those breeders.

I'm starting to worry if he experienced a nightmare in which something happened to me, or, maybe one in which something bad happened to him. Was a sad moment which shook me up slightly as it's not nice to see a dog in discomfort. I hope he didn't have a premonition.

I strongly recommend you get to a doctor. I don't believe that your dog is psychic, but I think this may be a sign of something amiss with your health.

Dogs can smell certain illnesses, and they can pick up on changes in their owner's behavior that the owner may not even be aware of. You may be slightly limping, or walking with a bend in your back. You may have episodes of confusion that you don't remember. You may be having sleep apnea or other nighttime breathing changes that your dog can hear.

I'm not kidding, I recommend a full exam with bloodwork.

Idk, my dog used to have them all the time. I'd wake him up and let him know everything was OK..

Except for them times he was giving himself a BJ @ 2AM and swallowing. I ignored that, or tried to.

Yeah, that was pretty gross.

It kinda sucks to wake up to that going on. Do not wonder why I let him roam when there were bitches in heat around.

He was a great dog! Hope I see him again someday.
If only Democrats could do that. I'd pay their welfare since they would just stay home and not bother us.

I strongly recommend you get to a doctor. I don't believe that your dog is psychic, but I think this may be a sign of something amiss with your health.

Dogs can smell certain illnesses, and they can pick up on changes in their owner's behavior that the owner may not even be aware of. You may be slightly limping, or walking with a bend in your back. You may have episodes of confusion that you don't remember. You may be having sleep apnea or other nighttime breathing changes that your dog can hear.

I'm not kidding, I recommend a full exam with bloodwork.
Yes, I posted that I thought the dog was worried about him but, I don't know all the details and, at this point, it's a story on a forum.

He had a bad dream where he was under attack, and awoke to find himself in the blessed safety of your presence.

Either that or he had a dream premonitioning some bad upcoming future event.

Is your health and life insurance paid off?

It's happened a few times. I theorize that the dog has a nightmare, gets so really scared and anxious that it wakes them up, and then they want to crawl into their much larger and stronger trusted human's bed for protection against whatever monster they were having a nightmare about so they can go back to sleep in peace.

They are just seeking comfort.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back