I really don't get the backlash over E-Cigs.

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Was listening to a radio ad on the drive into work, and It was a cancer hospital ragging on E-Cigs, saying that people thinking they are safer than cigarettes is wrong.

To me that is an outright falsehood. Are they safer than not smoking at all? Of course not. But is there any question they are safer than actual Cigarette smoking?

E-Cigs eliminate combustion products and all the gunk that can clog up your lungs. True, you still get nicotine and some other volatile substances, but considering the reduction in the other compounds, how COULD e-cigs be "just as dangerous"

They have improved on cigarettes, taken out a major health concern when it comes to nicotine use, and the pols and advocates are railing against them just as if they still WERE cigarettes.

What gives?

They are upset because the FDA has not spent a billion dollars doing studies on them yet.

Depending on the chemicals in the solution, some could be as safe as inhaling the steam off a pot of chicken soap. however, I understand that some school districts are baning e-cigs as drug paraphernalia.

The only e-cig I'm familiar with has only glycerin and nicotine in it and I have no idea what the effect of inhaling glycerine is.

As with just about everything, my opinion is that as long as they don't force others to inhale it, what adults choose to do is their business.

Depending on the chemicals in the solution, some could be as safe as inhaling the steam off a pot of chicken soap. however, I understand that some school districts are baning e-cigs as drug paraphernalia.

I can see regulating them for over 18 use only. No issues with that.

The only e-cig I'm familiar with has only glycerin and nicotine in it and I have no idea what the effect of inhaling glycerine is.

As with just about everything, my opinion is that as long as they don't force others to inhale it, what adults choose to do is their business.

That's the next fight. Some anti-smoking people are saying the exhaled vapor is just as dangerous as combustion products, which is basically impossible.

That's the next fight. Some anti-smoking people are saying the exhaled vapor is just as dangerous as combustion products, which is basically impossible.
I have never smoked real cigs and I hate second hand smoke. I've been around people smoking e-cigs. The second hand vapors were not an issue with me. I can't definitively say that second hand vapors from e-cigs pose no danger whatsoever, but i doubt that it could be any more of a problem than air fresheners, cleaners such as Lysol, or perfumes that people wear.

Note: people don't smoke e-cigs, they vape them.

Was listening to a radio ad on the drive into work, and It was a cancer hospital ragging on E-Cigs, saying that people thinking they are safer than cigarettes is wrong.

To me that is an outright falsehood. Are they safer than not smoking at all? Of course not. But is there any question they are safer than actual Cigarette smoking?

E-Cigs eliminate combustion products and all the gunk that can clog up your lungs. True, you still get nicotine and some other volatile substances, but considering the reduction in the other compounds, how COULD e-cigs be "just as dangerous"

They have improved on cigarettes, taken out a major health concern when it comes to nicotine use, and the pols and advocates are railing against them just as if they still WERE cigarettes.

What gives?
Not interested.

E-joints are the thing!!!

Hash oil vapes have such great potential once legalization is widespread.

What gives?
Not interested.

Same delivery instrument, different fluid. am I wrong?

What gives?

The anti-smoking lobby seems to be against the act of enjoying tobacco and/or nicotine. The method of delivery doesn't seem to matter to them as we just saw here in Nixa, Missouri recently when a ban on smoking in public parks was implemented. Cigs, cigars, pipes, AND E-CIGS were banned. In other words, they don't care if the "smoke" from an e-cig is just water vapor, they're against any appearence of smoking regardless of whether or not it's actually harmful to nearby people.

Oh ya, and they banned chewing tobacco too. While spitting is visually disgusting, to claim it's somehow harmful to others is a tough sell. Especially since most chewers spit into a bottle or other receptacle wishing to be as polite as possible.

What gives?

The anti-smoking lobby seems to be against the act of enjoying tobacco and/or nicotine. The method of delivery doesn't seem to matter to them as we just saw here in Nixa, Missouri recently when a ban on smoking in public parks was implemented. Cigs, cigars, pipes, AND E-CIGS were banned. In other words, they don't care if the "smoke" from an e-cig is just water vapor, they're against any appearence of smoking regardless of whether or not it's actually harmful to nearby people.

And that makes them Fucking Zelots.

People like that need to be ignored.

What gives?

Can ignore them, but can't ignore the laws they get passed.

I have never smoked real cigs and I hate second hand smoke. I've been around people smoking e-cigs. The second hand vapors were not an issue with me. I can't definitively say that second hand vapors from e-cigs pose no danger whatsoever, but i doubt that it could be any more of a problem than air fresheners, cleaners such as Lysol, or perfumes that people wear.

Note: people don't smoke e-cigs, they vape them.

Your quibbling technical point is noted i.e. vaping vs. smoking. :clap:

What gives?
Not interested.

Same delivery instrument, different fluid. am I wrong?

The temperature range is different as well I believe.

What gives?

Can ignore them, but can't ignore the laws they get passed.

Actually you can. A person can vape without being noticed far easier than smoking without being noticed.

Its just another law people ignore, thus lowering respect flow law in general.

What gives?

Same reason anti-smoking forces got candy and bubblegum "cogarettes" yanked off the market. Anything that looks like smoking is to be banned. The incremental banning and restricting of smoking is an incremental way to get all tobacco use in any form banned. Can't do it all at once without people raising hell about it. But if you do it a bit at a time you'll likely succeed. It's the 'drop a frog into a pot of boiling water thing.'

Forum List

Back