I really dont feel sorry for Americans stuck in Lebanon

T-Bor

May 24, 2006
Its like these people think that America can just come to everyones house and get everyone out of there in a day or two. The home page of CNN now has pictures of American citizens (middle eastern looking) holding up signs saying where are you America. If these people are freaking stupid enough to actually go and live in Lebanon, squeezed between Syria and Israel they are freaking crazy. Their own stupidity has put them in this situation and I dont feel one bit sorry for them. I wouldnt go to Lebanon or any country in the Middle East for that matter if you paid me.

T-Bor said:
Its like these people think that America can just come to everyones house and get everyone out of there in a day or two. The home page of CNN now has pictures of American citizens (middle eastern looking) holding up signs saying where are you America. If these people are freaking stupid enough to actually go and live in Lebanon, squeezed between Syria and Israel they are freaking crazy. Their own stupidity has put them in this situation and I dont feel one bit sorry for them. I wouldnt go to Lebanon or any country in the Middle East for that matter if you paid me.

Well, I feel for them.

It is true, though, that America has become a nation of helpless children, always expecting big ol daddy gov't to bail them out. After any problem, the first thing you see are people on TV demanding that the gov't take care of them.

I should also mention they don't live there, they are there visiting family and one is taking care of things for elderly parents who refuse to leave.

I certainly hope that all the people there who want to get out safetly can do so...I do not wish harm on any of them.

That being said, I think that when you travel abroad (or anywhere for that matter) you take risks. Some of them are much greater than others, you have to weigh what you are going to get out of the experience and the danger and make up your own mind. The State Department has travel warnings and precautions about travel and living in Lebanon, Israel, and the Middle East in general. It should NOT be a surprise that the shit has hit the fan there...but I hope they get out safetly.

The signs mentioned above remind me a bit about the boy who was caught spitting in the streets in Singapore (I think) and immediately turned to the US to get him out of his punishment (caning). You can't ignore the country's warnings about going to a country and then expect the government to be able to snap their fingers and teleport you home...you're in a warzone now...you're going to have to deal with the consequences of your actions.

Abbey Normal said:
Well, I feel for them.

It is true, though, that America has become a nation of helpless children, always expecting big ol daddy gov't to bail them out. After any problem, the first thing you see are people on TV demanding that the gov't take care of them.
Well I'll give you the general point, but don't you think these are special circumstanes that warrant governmental intervention? I mean look, the Israelis bombed out the only airport. And either you head directly into the conflict zone, or into Syria. Neither of those options would be appealing to me. Besides, if we've got a ginormous military sitting right off the coast of the country, I certainly would rather have them rescuing American citizens instead of just sitting there.

Mr.Conley said:
Well I'll give you the general point, but don't you think these are special circumstanes that warrant governmental intervention? I mean look, the Israelis bombed out the only airport. And either you head directly into the conflict zone, or into Syria. Neither of those options would be appealing to me. Besides, if we've got a ginormous military sitting right off the coast of the country, I certainly would rather have them rescuing American citizens instead of just sitting there.

Yes, I agree that these are special circumstances, and I think we should do our best to help them. Where T-Bor's post struck a chord with me was in describing the "Where are you America?" signs, as though the gov't owes every American on the planet a rescue when things turn sour.

Let's hope they all get out safely.

Abbey Normal said:
Yes, I agree that these are special circumstances, and I think we should do our best to help them. Where T-Bor's post struck a chord with me was in describing the "Where are you America?" signs, as though the gov't owes every American on the planet a rescue when things turn sour.
Good to know. If the government isn't going to help US citizens who get caught in a spontanious war, then what is it for?

As for the signs, I think they're pretty good as a method of communication, especially if you don't have any other way of being heard.

Mr.Conley said:
Good to know. If the government isn't going to help US citizens who get caught in a spontanious war, then what is it for?

As for the signs, I think they're pretty good as a method of communication, especially if you don't have any other way of being heard.

A sincere, "Help us America" sign, would accomplish the same thing, without the accusatory tone of "Where are you America"?

Abbey Normal said:
A sincere, "Help us America" sign, would accomplish the same thing, without the accusatory tone of "Where are you America"?
Personally, if I was in a combat zone, I'd be screaming at them to haul ass to get me out. I mean, it's a combat zone, and at least the people in the CNN picture have kids.

Mr.Conley said:

It really gripes my ass to agree with that troll about anything, but I think T-bor's point is valid. There are travel warnings to anywhere in the ME. There have been kidnappings of Americans for HOW MANY years? The ME has been on the verge of war with Israel at any given time since 1949.

How much of a clue does one need?

I don't wish them any harm and do hope they get out safe, but they pretty much are suffering the consequences of their own actions. Even if I was to be daft enough to go to the ME, I would have my own escape plan mapped out without having to whine on TV to the US gov't to come bail me out of my own foolishness.

Mr.Conley said:
Personally, if I was in a combat zone, I'd be screaming at them to haul ass to get me out. I mean, it's a combat zone, and at least the people in the CNN picture have kids.

Personally, I wouldn't bring my kids to an unstable area. And if I did, I would know in the back of my mind that if and when the stuff hits the fan, we may have trouble geting out. Then I would hope for, and beg for, my country to bail me out. But I would not angrily expect it to be done right away. I'm sure there are logistic and political hurdles that we can't imagine.

GunnyL said:
It really gripes my ass to agree with that troll about anything, but I think T-bor's point is valid. There are travel warnings to anywhere in the ME. There have been kidnappings of Americans for HOW MANY years? The ME has been on the verge of war with Israel at any given time since 1949.

How much of a clue does one need?

I don't wish them any harm and do hope they get out safe, but they pretty much are suffering the consequences of their own actions. Even if I was to be daft enough to go to the ME, I would have my own escape plan mapped out without having to whine on TV to the US gov't to come bail me out of my own foolishness.
I kinda agree. I mean yea, don't go to the Middle East, but these kids in the picture here didn't even have a choice. They probably don't even know what a State Department warning is.
newt1.esseily.family.jpg

cnn.com said:
The Esseily family was winding up a vacation in Lebanon when the airstrikes began. Nearly a week later, they're still looking for a way to get back to California. "I have two kids [and] a baby, and they're scared. I'm scared," Monika Esseily said. The family also says that despite daily bombings, the U.S. Embassy's only response is "We will call you."
See the kids, they didn't ask to be in that situation. I think they deserve some help. Besides, maybe the "where are you" bit was written in desperation, not anger, and we're misinterpreting it.

No, the kids did not ask to be in this situation. It was their idiot parents who felt that vacationing in Lebanon in the middle of rising tensions in the Middle East was a stellar idea.

I'm sorry that the US Embassy hasn't been snappy enough in returning their calls...I'm guessing they are a bit busy over there. Perhaps these parents should have considered the State Department warnings prior to bringing their young children to such a location?

I agree with you that the "Where are you, America?" comment might be born of frustration...but you know what? It frustrates the hell out of me too!!! These people basically said "Screw you, America...we're not listening to your silly State Department Warnings...we'll go wherever we want and be just fine thank you very much."

And when things go bad...they are suddenly back demanding that the very same country that asked them not to go into the dangerous location and they IGNORED drop everything to SAVE THEM INSTANTLY!

I hope and pray that this family gets out alright...but that doesn't mean that I don't want to bitch slap the hell out of these parents! :)

Gem said:
Mr. Conley,

Absolutely, the U.S. should always try to help its citizens out if possible. We have the means and the ability to get people out of Lebanon and we are right to be doing it. However, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask these people to shoulder some of the financial cost of their rescue...nor is it unreasonable to state that while we will try to get you out - you willingly entered a dangerous place disregarding the State Departments Travel Advisories and/or Warnings and that means we might not be able to get to you quickly...or at all.
I have no real problem with what you're saying, but I think the US should make every effort possible to get these people out of there as soon as possible.

Mr.Conley said:
See the kids, they didn't ask to be in that situation. I think they deserve some help. Besides, maybe the "where are you" bit was written in desperation, not anger, and we're misinterpreting it.

I hope you are right, but as I said in my first general point, with which I believe you agreed, I believe this attitude has become an American way of life.

I hope many will pray for them, especially the children, who, as you've said, didn't ask to be there.

Mr.Conley said:
I kinda agree. I mean yea, don't go to the Middle East, but these kids in the picture here didn't even have a choice. They probably don't even know what a State Department warning is.
newt1.esseily.family.jpg

The parents should be flogged for taking their children into such an area. Good thing CNN put them on the tube so now the terrorists know exactly where they are and what they look like. I'm sure that'll help in their safety.

GunnyL said:
The parents should be flogged for taking their children into such an area. Good thing CNN put them on the tube so now the terrorists know exactly where they are and what they look like. I'm sure that'll help in their safety.
Yes, thanks to cnn.com (which all terrorists have a link to), Hizbollah knows that these people are holed up in front of a white wall. Considering how few white walls there are in the world, much less Lebanon, it's pretty obvious they're screwed.

Mr.Conley said:
Yes, thanks to cnn.com (which all terrorists have a link to), Hizbollah knows that these people are holed up in front of a white wall. Considering how few white walls there are in the world, much less Lebanon, it's pretty obvious they're screwed.

Just to help y'all sleep better ... they just showed Navy CH-53's airliftng stranded Americans out of Lebanon on the local news. So at the government's expense and the miltiary's risk, someone is conducting a NEO.

Forum List

Back