I no longer use or recommend CCleaner

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
CCleaner isn't what it once was, since Avast bought Piriform (the company that owns CCleaner) it is now set to run constantly in the background and sends anonymous data to the company. The free version constantly nags you to buy the paid version and it was hacked a couple of years back, malware was added to the download. Luckily very few systems were actually affected, that we know of......... I mean we're giving a third party program/company access to our registry.
"What can I use instead?".
I'm glad you asked. Windows and whatever browser(s) you're using already has cleaning built in and all can be set up to run automatically. You can look them up.
Registry cleaning........ Not really the best of ideas. Every time the registry is entered to look at or make changes by a user, and/or recommended by Microsoft support or other help sites they list a very strong warning. Messing around in the registry can cause huge headaches if you or someone else gets one entry wrong or erases the wrong Key. Basically you can make your operating system inoperable, why would you (or I) let a third party program do it and "guess" which Keys are no longer needed? Besides these days we no longer need registry cleaners.
Nope, CCleaner and any other registry cleaner are no longer welcome on my systems.

CCleaner isn't what it once was, since Avast bought Piriform (the company that owns CCleaner) it is now set to run constantly in the background and sends anonymous data to the company.
Yeah? You mean if you disable it at start up and turn it off in the system tray (through 'Show Hidden Icons') after you've finished, it's still running and won't be picked up by task manager or Process Explorer, for example?

I’ve been using Glarysoft’s Registry Repair for about 10 years now. It’s free and it works. Haven’t had any problems or system failures.

CCleaner isn't what it once was, since Avast bought Piriform (the company that owns CCleaner) it is now set to run constantly in the background and sends anonymous data to the company.
Yeah? You mean if you disable it at start up and turn it off in the system tray (through 'Show Hidden Icons') after you've finished, it's still running and won't be picked up by task manager or Process Explorer, for example?
:eusa_eh:

I’ve been using Glarysoft’s Registry Repair for about 10 years now. It’s free and it works. Haven’t had any problems or system failures.
No one said it would happen to everyone but It's your system, your risk. I used Glary's then CCleaner for years without any problems, doesn't mean it couldn't still happen. The thing is today's systems don't need a registry cleaner. Those cleaners were developed back in the day when hard drive space was at a premium and every little bit of gained space was a Godsend, it's not like that anymore.

The only "registry cleaner" that I have ever used is HiJackThis. Be sure to download from sourceforge, there are several fake versions of this program out there.
It is a very good tool to get rid of anything, HOWEVER... you can permanently cause damage to your system by deleting things willy nilly.
There are some good videos on YouTube on how to use this tool.
It is THE best tool to clean browser add-ons etc.

Forum List

Back