"i no longer believe in God"...Sassy Jon Steingard, Star of Christian Rock, Admits He’s Lost His Faith

In Catholic school they taught us that the people who wrote the Bible were "divinely inspired."

Do Protestants learn that in Sunday school?

Depends on the denomination. The Baptist consider the King James to be the only translation, at least the hard core ones do. They don't accept the Catholic bible as legitimate. I think most Protestant denominations may follow that to a greater or lesser extent, you'll have to ask each denomination that, since it's almost impossible for one person to have been a member of them all.

Personally I consider the later New King James Chronological bible to be the best and most accurate of the modern translations, and it's also very helpful to have both the New and the Old Testament in chronological order; it clears up a lot of confusion, especially with Isaiah, Daniel, and a few other of the OT books. Having said that, having the Apocrypha included in a study bible is also a great idea; it doesn't have to be 'canon' to be useful and expository.

It's best to go to each religion's official website to find out what they believe. Ours is:

www.jw.org

I've noticed most religious people who post here do not direct people to the official website for their religion - why is that?

My favorite Bible translation is the 1984 NW reference edition - it is the most accurate translation overall. But KJV is also on our website - as are other translations including our Greek-English interlinear. For example:

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

I can't imagine how devastated I'd be if I lost God in my life.

Yes I know, I don't believe in heaven, so life is what you make it on earth and every life is precious.
So, say a young child (who lost a parent) asks, "Is my mommy now in heaven?" My guess is that you would say what exactly?

In hades/sheol,the grave (KJV: Hell)

New NW - Revelation 20:13,14
And the sea gave up the dead in it, and death and the Grave* gave up the dead in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds.+ 14 And death and the Grave* were hurled into the lake of fire.+ This means the second death,+ the lake of fire.+

Other translations here:

1984 NW ref - Rev. 20:13,14
And the sea gave up those dead in it, and death and Haʹdes* gave up those dead+ in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds.+ 14 And death+ and Haʹdes were hurled into the lake of fire.* This means* the second death,+ the lake of fire.+

The original Greek is hades - see our interlinear.

KIng James Version
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

New International Version
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

New Living Translation
Then death and the grave were thrown into the lake of fire. This lake of fire is the second death.

Webster's Bible Translation
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Btw - most religions teach that those in hades are alive in fiery eternal torment and will never be released.

The Bible teaches just the opposite: those in hades are dead and everyone in hades will be released.

Also, most religions teach hades/Hell is the lake of fire and fail to note this is the second death. The Bible teaches hades will thrown into the lake of fire.

Yes I know, I don't believe in heaven, so life is what you make it on earth and every life is precious.

Certainly every life is precious - life is a sacred gift of God and so is love:

1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love has not come to know God, because God is love.+

[Note: those who do not know God can still show love, but those who claim to know God and do not show love are liars or are deceived.]

Look up at the stars of the heavens at night!

Psalms 19:1
The heavens are declaring the glory of God;+
The skies above* proclaim the work of his hands.+

Psalms 8:3,4
When I see your heavens, the works of your fingers,
The moon and the stars that you have prepared,+
4 What is mortal man that you keep him in mind,
And a son of man that you take care of him?+

Last edited:

[Note: those who do not know God can still show love, but those who claim to know God and do not show love are liars or are deceived.]

I mean I no longer believe in God or heaven, and no afterlife anywhere for anyone. So life on earth is all you have, so every life is precious.

I mean I no longer believe in God or heaven, and no afterlife anywhere for anyone. So life on earth is all you have, so every life is precious.
Does your opinion extend to the unborn as well?

could it be because of the corona. i think so, my friends!

The guy that owns the local car dealership here in Burley baptized Randy Bachman into the Mormon faith
Randy became so devout he left the Guess Who And formed BTO
But I understand hes returned to being an atheist

My experience is that I live better when I ignore there is a god. I find an internal freedom when I'm out of those fixed doctrines of religion. However, I study the topic with great interest.

Perhaps the Christian band singer wants to take a break in his life, something which might helps him to encounter his own peace.

Forum List

Back