I miss fried okra

Oh yeah, all good southern cooks can make great cornbread from scratch. Also scratch biscuits that are flaky, flavorful, and melt in your mouth.

mmmmm...buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy!!!!

all is right with the world.

When we lived in West Texas, our next door neighbor was a second-generation German--his dad had fled Nazi Germany as WWII was breaking out. The dad and his wife arrived on Ellis Island with nothing more than a few clothes and a very few dollars, but after a few years had worked and saved up enough to buy a few acres of unimproved land in West Texas and start a family. By the time our neighbor was grown, the farm had expanded to be a couple of sections and the family was quite well off. But the family retained a lot of the old country ways from the homeland and every fall they made their own German sausage that was to die for.

To this day my mouth waters thinking about it.

But no sausage in the gravy please, though Mr. Foxfyre does like to do that. I want that perfect sausage on the side next to the great homemade biscuits and well flavored cream gravy of just the right texture. Add some great eggs, homemade watermelon preserves, and fresh fruit or juice and you have a breakfast fit for kings. Or queens. Or yankees. :) To southerners, its just breakfast as usual. :)

Forum List

Back