I met a bar owner today with a heckuva story.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
He was a tall lanky white guy maybe in his mid 60s, decent golf swing and a really interesting guy. He was hitting next to me on the range and we started chatting about this and that. He told me he owned a bar and was really bummed out about having to close it again after only being re-opened for 3 weeks. He's had the bar for 25 years and it's his baby but he doesn't know if he can keep going.

Now for the story.

He opened the bar after surviving a plane crash that he had no business surviving. He's a pilot and was flying North of Tucson back in the early 90s. The engine blew out on his Cessna while he was flying over Biosphere2. When he lost power, he started heading right for it but missed hitting the main building by about 50 feet. Instead, he ended up hitting power lines that probably saved his life. Instead of hitting the ground full speed, the wires grabbed his plane, slowed him down and he ended up hitting the ground while flipping end over end. He landed upside down but his plane was still intact. He was able to get himself out, and had a broken leg but otherwise he was OK. Opening a bar was always a dream of his and after that experience he decided to quit his job and just go for it. It's sad to think he survived that, and has had a successful bar for a quarter century but may end up losing it because of this GD virus.

He was a tall lanky white guy maybe in his mid 60s, decent golf swing and a really interesting guy. He was hitting next to me on the range and we started chatting about this and that. He told me he owned a bar and was really bummed out about having to close it again after only being re-opened for 3 weeks. He's had the bar for 25 years and it's his baby but he doesn't know if he can keep going.

Now for the story.

He opened the bar after surviving a plane crash that he had no business surviving. He's a pilot and was flying North of Tucson back in the early 90s. The engine blew out on his Cessna while he was flying over Biosphere2. When he lost power, he started heading right for it but missed hitting the main building by about 50 feet. Instead, he ended up hitting power lines that probably saved his life. Instead of hitting the ground full speed, the wires grabbed his plane, slowed him down and he ended up hitting the ground while flipping end over end. He landed upside down but his plane was still intact. He was able to get himself out, and had a broken leg but otherwise he was OK. Opening a bar was always a dream of his and after that experience he decided to quit his job and just go for it. It's sad to think he survived that, and has had a successful bar for a quarter century but may end up losing it because of this GD virus.
Mother nature does not care about our plans unfortunately. I bought boats for six pack charters and have also taken a bit of a hit. Thought this would be the year of recovery from divorce and the realestate bubble that hurt me a few years back. This was not the year. I have supplimented my income by working the ferry and getting vehicles back and forth to the islands. I will keep those boats as long as I can run them next season. I am hoping to do fising charters on the sea over the winter but the virus may mess that up also. I might just hop on a freighter for six months and collect a big check at the end. Sure hope to be fishing though, its a lot more fun than just getting cargo from here to there. I am pulling for your freind and all people on here, lets hope things return to normal soon.

PS how are those putting drills going? I would imagine you have developed a great deal of confidence in those short puts by now! If you are doing the lag drills you are likely starting to sink some long ones. All going well?

Now for the story.

It’s not the virus that may cost him his bar, but stupid government rules.

Now for the story.

Mother nature does not care about our plans unfortunately. I bought boats for six pack charters and have also taken a bit of a hit. Thought this would be the year of recovery from divorce and the realestate bubble that hurt me a few years back. This was not the year. I have supplimented my income by working the ferry and getting vehicles back and forth to the islands. I will keep those boats as long as I can run them next season. I am hoping to do fising charters on the sea over the winter but the virus may mess that up also. I might just hop on a freighter for six months and collect a big check at the end. Sure hope to be fishing though, its a lot more fun than just getting cargo from here to there. I am pulling for your freind and all people on here, lets hope things return to normal soon.

PS how are those putting drills going? I would imagine you have developed a great deal of confidence in those short puts by now! If you are doing the lag drills you are likely starting to sink some long ones. All going well?
Way better on the short putts and yes I am still doing your drill. Lag putting isn't as good but 3 putts are much less frequent!

Now for the story.

If joe biden wins, the economy will go into a depression....a lot of people are going to lose a lot more........

Now for the story.

If joe biden wins, the economy will go into a depression....a lot of people are going to lose a lot more........
Haven’t you noticed that is said by partisans of both parties, before every election?

Now for the story.

Way better on the short putts and yes I am still doing your drill. Lag putting isn't as good but 3 putts are much less frequent!
Good for you! glad to here all is going well. My elbow has finally healed to the point I can golf again. I have not been out this season yet as I am buisy fighting for my charter. I am almost afraid of how bad it will be with such a lay off.. I will likely not have the time until November and then need to go south. I am kinda thinking of spending this winter Iin Galvaston. There are some realy large headboats down there that do three trips after some large sport fish. i here the golfing is good around there so I will be out at the range and greens big time if all goes as planned. A month or so at that I will be back in some skins games. It will be nice to take skins and bigest fish pools regularly again. I always enjoyed that extra money in my pocket. Some thing about won money that special.

Forum List

Back