I love movies with a message

You're losing me here but if you enjoy it that's great. Are they all in color or are these old black and white ones ?

MUBI: Watch and Discover Movies>lists>the-35-greatest-acting-performances-of-all-time Maybe this is worth a look.

Anything that's well done and well acted.... and ....that doesn't have a message ;)

Edit to say....I do not watch many movies anymore.
I don't know if this needs your qualifications but I really enjoyed the movie Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. This was a journey of a lifetime.

I love movies with a message, especially if they are decent films with solid values that incorporate a lot of imagination. Just finished watching, " The Odd Life of Timothy Green " and yes I cried. As far as I'm concerned that's what it's all about. There is far too much violence and hatred in the real world, I don't want to watch it in the movies or on TV. Movies can be a pleasant little escape, when you need a break and don't have time or the money for a vacation. What clean, great movies have you seen lately ? And what made it great in your opinion. Thanks for sharing, Stan
Just good movies to make you feel good.
  • Singing in the Rain - A great musical comedy
  • The Music Man - Ditto
  • All Creatures Great and Small - The title tells it all
  • Bruce All Mighty -fun with a moral
  • I've Got Mail - based on the old movie, Shop Around the Corner which I think is a lot better
  • Bringing Up Baby - old but still funny
And for movies with a moral and maybe a tear are so
  • Good Bye Mr. Chips - If that doesn't bring a tear to your eye, I don't know what would. The 1939 version with Robert Donat and Grear Garon is best.
  • P.S. I love you - a real tearjerker
  • Seven Pounds -random acts of kindness
  • Deal Poets Society -the teacher you would like to be
  • Pride and Prejudice -needs no introduction
  • The Way We Were - again title tells it all
  • Love Story - No dry eyes after this one
  • Gentlemen's Agreement - a movie about anti-Semitism with Gregory Peck
  • To Kill a Mocking Bird - filled with morals and emotion
  • Norma Rae - Sally Fields in her best role fighting to get a union established
  • O. Henry's Full House - the stories from the man who never wrote a story without moral.

Just good movies to make you feel good.
  • Singing in the Rain - A great musical comedy
  • The Music Man - Ditto
  • All Creatures Great and Small - The title tells it all
  • Bruce All Mighty -fun with a moral
  • I've Got Mail - based on the old movie, Shop Around the Corner which I think is a lot better
  • Bringing Up Baby - old but still funny
And for movies with a moral and maybe a tear are so
  • Good Bye Mr. Chips - If that doesn't bring a tear to your eye, I don't know what would. The 1939 version with Robert Donat and Grear Garon is best.
  • P.S. I love you - a real tearjerker
  • Seven Pounds -random acts of kindness
  • Deal Poets Society -the teacher you would like to be
  • Pride and Prejudice -needs no introduction
  • The Way We Were - again title tells it all
  • Love Story - No dry eyes after this one
  • Gentlemen's Agreement - a movie about anti-Semitism with Gregory Peck
  • To Kill a Mocking Bird - filled with morals and emotion
  • Norma Rae - Sally Fields in her best role fighting to get a union established
  • O. Henry's Full House - the stories from the man who never wrote a story without moral.
Bruce Almighty excellent choice. I would also add God Almighty and The Majestic to that list. PS I Love You! Another excellent choice. I would also add The Time Traveler's Wife.

Bruce Almighty excellent choice. I would also add God Almighty and The Majestic to that list. PS I Love You! Another excellent choice. I would also add The Time Traveler's Wife.
Four more to throw out there: Life of Pi, a fantastic adventure and a visual kaleidoscope. Transcendence, a love story involving artificial intelligence and eternal life. San Andreas, 2012 and Knowing, you got to have some disaster movies. Have a good night all I'm going to bed soon again thanks to all who participated. I enjoyed myself I hope you did too.

Four more to throw out there: Life of Pi, a fantastic adventure and a visual kaleidoscope. Transcendence, a love story involving artificial intelligence and eternal life. San Andreas, 2012 and Knowing, you got to have some disaster movies. Have a good night all I'm going to bed soon again thanks to all who participated. I enjoyed myself I hope you did too.
P.S. Sorry that was six movies, added 2 more at the last minute.

Anything that's well done and well acted.... and ....that doesn't have a message ;)

Edit to say....I do not watch many movies anymore.

I saw Marty and loved it. Very simple movie. Clean. Nice values. Nice story. Made in 1954. Two clean-living misfits in the Bronx get together and find love. All the protagonists attend weekly Sunday Mass. Won the Academy Award. I doubt a movie like that would be made today, let alone win the Oscar.

Good thread, Stann. I would be interested in the movies this thread generates.
Marty became a fine movie not because it's just nice and clean. Marty was written by Paddy Chayefsky, one the great screen writers of his time for the Philco Television Playhouse. It was directed by Delbert Mann and stared Rod Steiger as Marty. Although Marty was recognize as a fine teleplay, it would have had no future had it not been for Robert Aldrich, a director and screenwriter who saw the potential of the teleplay.

Aldrich who had other commitments convince Delbert Mann to bring Marty to Hollywood with Ernest Borgnine as Marty using Chayefsky's screenplay. Mann took the project to Bill Height of Lancaster-Height Productions who agreed to back the movie if the cost did not exceed $350,000 which depended on getting Borgnine to accepting $5,000 to do the movie and the rest of the cast no more than that. Borgnine accepted as did the cast and the movie was shot in 16 days in Hollywood with only two scenes shot on location in New York.

After the movie was shot it almost didn't get released. United Artist who would be the distributor reviewed the synopsis and couldn't figure out how they would promote the film. It wasn't much of a drama or a comedy with no action, and unknown cast. They proposed running it as a second bill on a double feature on a the second run circuit. The producer argued against this and finally an agreement was reached and Marty was released.

Could Marty be done today? Of course it could. Although sex and violence does sell tickets, there is always the demand for well made movies with a good story. Such as Me Before You, The Remains of the Day, The Winslow Boy, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Darkest Hour, Wall.E, The Untouchables, Mr. Church, The Kings Speech, The Pursuit of Happiness,.... etc.

Last edited:
I love movies with a message, especially if they are decent films with solid values that incorporate a lot of imagination. Just finished watching, " The Odd Life of Timothy Green " and yes I cried. As far as I'm concerned that's what it's all about. There is far too much violence and hatred in the real world, I don't want to watch it in the movies or on TV. Movies can be a pleasant little escape, when you need a break and don't have time or the money for a vacation. What clean, great movies have you seen lately ? And what made it great in your opinion. Thanks for sharing, Stan
Found an old DVD in my collection of "Brian's Song", based on the friendship between Chicago Bears teamates Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo, who died tragically from a rare form of cancer at the age of 26 while still a member of the Bears.

IMO, it was one of James Caans most memorable performances.

Gale Sayers was actually a friend of my dad's when they both attended the University of Kansas before Gale was drafted by the Bears.

That was a good movie. We almost didn't watch it due to Jennifer Garner being in it (bleh) but saw the trailer and decided to watch it. Glad we did. As you say, a nice uplifting movie.

Found an old DVD in my collection of "Brian's Song", based on the friendship between Chicago Bears teamates Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo, who died tragically from a rare form of cancer at the age of 26 while still a member of the Bears.

IMO, it was one of James Caans most memorable performances.

Gale Sayers was actually a friend of my dad's when they both attended the University of Kansas before Gale was drafted by the Bears.
This was a real tearjerkers.

Forum List

Back