I know this may be a bad idea but i need your help

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Please consider donating to the following Gofundme link.

My father has been in this house since my girls were babies and last night a nearby creek spilled over its banks and put almost 6 feet of water in his basement. He is retired and on a fixed income and was told when he built the house he was not on a flood plane so flood insurance was unnecessary.
We all spent the day removing everything and loading it into a dumpster as well as stripping it down to the studs up to the ceiling.

From personal items to the furnace & all the electrical, its all a total loss.

PLEASE, PLEASE do not use this information to troll.
I understand that some of you may have various reasons to not donate and thats perfectly fine but please share the gofundme link.

20200730_134959.jpg
20200730_134930.jpg
20200730_134736.jpg

• Banned
Done. I hope you make your goal. And let your dad know we are thinking about him.
I just called him to see if the creek broke it's banks again and he said it's come close.

I also told him my sister put the amount too low because that won't even come close but my dad is old school and didn't even want to do it to begin with. Said he didn't want to appear greedy lol

Done. I hope you make your goal. And let your dad know we are thinking about him.
I just called him to see if the creek broke it's banks again and he said it's come close.

I also told him my sister put the amount too low because that won't even come close but my dad is old school and didn't even want to do it to begin with. Said he didn't want to appear greedy lol
He's a good person and you are a good son.

Yep, sounds about right. Please wish him well for me.

I guess he built the house but in order to get a mortgage or a loan the property should have been insured.
I guess you can't fucking read.

The property is insured. Flood insurance was only issued based on locality.

Been there myself on our riverfront property.
We could get flood insurance but the price was astronomical.
We gambled and it paid off. Of course the property hadnt flooded in over 100 years so we felt it was a good gamble.

I guess he built the house but in order to get a mortgage or a loan the property should have been insured.

We gambled and it paid off. Of course the property hadnt flooded in over 100 years so we felt it was a good gamble.
He built this house on empty pasture 40 some years ago. The city and developers built around him and it changed the topography.

Shit happens but there's no reason for someone to be a dick about it

He built this house on empty pasture 40 some years ago. The city and developers built around him and it changed the topography.

So true. Some people are just dicks though.

Yeah...you start laying a bunch of concrete in an area drainage is going to change.

Just as an aside, we bought a property that was beside a creek that had flooded, and we were told that it wasn't in a flood plane either. Unfortunately, we flooded.

However, we did have FEMA flood insurance. Even though we weren't in a flood plane, I didn't trust the creek. At the time, it was something like $300 a year. It jumped to $1700 after we made a claim. Not being in a flood plane actually lowers the FEMA flood insurance.

FEMA flood insurance isn't like regular insurance which covers replacement value. It covers estimated value. So if you're floor is 10 years old, it covers the cost of your floor less 10 years of depreciation. So it is really only partial insurance. But it did cover about 40% of our rebuild, which we used to upgrade our house.

I know it doesn't help you now, but it's something to think about. I've gone through what your father has gone through, and it isn't fun. It's why we built a new house where we live now.

Forum List

Back