CDZ I Just Retired From Civil Service With 34 Years Of Combined Federal Service

congrats Mud.....33 years CSR man here....
Sounds like you guys missed the height of "affirmative action" in the 70's. White males were persona non grata and virtually excluded from promotions in CA state government. I put in 12 years before quitting. Congrats on sticking it out.

Yesterday was my last day. Now I'm no longer a federal employee.

The best part is to take your pension and go back to work at hopefully the same pay
I retired from the Federal Govt at 55 with 33 years
I was rehired in almost the same job as a contractor and almost doubled my salary

Congratulations

Nothing beats a Government Pension
Are you CSRS or FERS?
My IRAs will

I am retired and have both
My Govt pension is much more valuable than my Thrift Saving (401k) which depletes over time and is subject to the whims of the market (and taxes)
Old fashioned pensions are nearly extinct on the private side. Just one of the benefits taken away by corporatism.
I am extremely fortunate to have worked for a company from 85 to 2001 that had a REAL pension. Even though it is only 16 years of build... it's face value today is just under $325,000. And I never contributed one cent to it. If companies didn't phase them out... that value would be well over $1,000,000 and I would have retired no later than 62.

Congratulations

Are you CSRS or FERS?
My IRAs will

My Govt pension is much more valuable than my Thrift Saving (401k) which depletes over time and is subject to the whims of the market (and taxes)
Old fashioned pensions are nearly extinct on the private side. Just one of the benefits taken away by corporatism.
I am extremely fortunate to have worked for a company from 85 to 2001 that had a REAL pension. Even though it is only 16 years of build... it's face value today is just under $325,000. And I never contributed one cent to it. If companies didn't phase them out... that value would be well over $1,000,000 and I would have retired no later than 62.
CEO pay has gone up tremendously, though. For-profit Capitalism who wouldn't love it.

Congratulations

Are you CSRS or FERS?
My IRAs will

CEO pay has gone up tremendously, though. For-profit Capitalism who wouldn't love it.
capitalism is for profit.....

Congratulations

Are you CSRS or FERS?
My IRAs will
No it won't. Your IRA's - you paid for. Pensions are 100% FREE money. He contributed exactly $0 to it.
So... no matter how well your IRA is doing (or you claim it is) it will never beat free.

I don't think so.

Haven't you learned yet that there is no such thing as free?

Federal civilian employees under FERS are required to contribute a percentage of salary to receive future benefits from the system’s defined-benefit annuity.

Congratulations

Are you CSRS or FERS?
My IRAs will

Between my Roth IRAs and my Roth 401k

I will never run out of money in retirement.

I have been maxing both out since I was in my late 20's.

Congratulations

Are you CSRS or FERS?
My IRAs will

Between my Roth IRAs and my Roth 401k

I will never run out of money in retirement.

I have been maxing both out since I was in my late 20's.
I wish I had put more money into Roth IRAs

Making tax free contributions was just so tempting. But when you withdraw and pay tax on it, you realize you do not have as much in retirement savings as you thought

congrats Mud.....33 years CSR man here....
Sounds like you guys missed the height of "affirmative action" in the 70's. White males were persona non grata and virtually excluded from promotions in CA state government. I put in 12 years before quitting. Congrats on sticking it out.
I can attest to that, I wanted to be either a CHP or LAPD in those years. I took both tests and oral interviews. I scored above the 95th percentile in both and was informed that neither department would be hiring anything except women or minorities for the foreseeable future.

Uh...okay.....course..I spent 14 years in the private sector as well including college.
Ur edgumahkayted?
Yeah....4 years of college.
That helped to learn ye to clean terlits...

Uh...okay.....course..I spent 14 years in the private sector as well including college.
Ur edgumahkayted?
Yeah....4 years of college.
That helped to learn ye to clean terlits...
No....I learned that in the Navy.

Forum List

Back