I heard yesterday the State of Illinois

bullwinkle

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
made a rule that if Trump doesn't reveal 5 years of his tax returns, the state will not allow him on the 2020 Presidential ballot. Is this legal? I know Trump dumps laws, like using the military for police duties, that his adherents think is okey-dokey. But I doubt this will get by without notice. Does anybody know what this is about? I don't see how this can be done, but I have to assume there are legislators in Illinois that know the law better than I who agreed to the bill. Sadly, laws and traditions don't mean much anymore.

I looked to see if there is a thread on this, but found none. Hope I didn't miss it in error

We have a few threads on this, other states

https://www.theroot.com/illinois-senate-issues-an-ultimatum-to-trump-release-y-1834008106

first I heard about Illinois though trying to run a federal Election

Illinois Senate Issues An Ultimatum to Trump: Release Your Tax Returns or You Won't Be on the 2020 Ballot

The Illinois Senate has put its foot down strong in the paint. On Thursday, the Democratic-led Senate proposed a deal that anti-Trump fans can get behind—either Trump releases five years’ worth of his personal income tax returns so they can see how many rubles he received from Russian oligarchs or he won’t appear on the state’s presidential ballot next year.

National Public Radio reports that this is the crest of a movement by Democratic states to force the president to stop playing the “I would love to but I’m being audited right now” game with his tax returns.

During contentious floor debate in the Illinois statehouse, Trump’s name wasn’t mentioned once by the legislation’s sponsor, state Sen. Tony Munoz, a Chicago Democrat who insisted he merely is trying to shed more transparency on the presidential campaign.

“If you want to run for vice president or president of the United States, hey, what’s wrong with providing your tax returns for the past five years?” Munoz asked his colleagues ahead of the Senate’s 36-19 vote in favor of his bill.

“If you’ve got nothing to hide, you shouldn’t worry about anything,” he continued. “That’s how I see it.”

CHEAT is the only plan the radical left has left for 2020, but this won't work. They try this shit and the feds just won't count their electoral votes then.

Two can play those games.

There were threads on this, but its good to show how dumb the dems are, thinking that they can put unconstitutional requirements on presidential candidates. If they do that, maybe the USSC will disallow their electoral votes to count?

“It is not the proper function of the IRS, Treasury, or Justice to question or second guess the motivations of the Committee or its reasonable determinations regarding its need for the requested tax returns or return information,” Neal wrote.

House Democrats increase demands for Trump tax returns, setting up potential court fight

So let's think about this for a second, So the democrats want to play political childish games that once again will bite them in the ass (Harry Reid nuclear option, Harry Reid lying about Romney's tax returns) and no one can second guess their motives??? who do they think they are a fucking dictatorship?

“For good reason, it would be a gross abuse of power for the majority to use tax returns as a weapon to attack, harass, and intimidate their political opponents. Once this Pandora’s box is opened, the ensuing tit-for-tat will do lasting damage to our nation,” William S. Consovoy said in a letter to the Treasury’s general counsel.

Exactly ..................

There were threads on this, but its good to show how dumb the dems are, thinking that they can put unconstitutional requirements on presidential candidates. If they do that, maybe the USSC will disallow their electoral votes to count?
On what premise? The State of Illinois has the right to regulate elections in its state. You can deprive people of their right to vote depending on certain circumstances. Why couldn't a person be deprived of their right to run for not meeting certain qualifications, like making their tax returns available? A candidate's privacy in that regard should not have the same protection afforded the average citizen.

made a rule that if Trump doesn't reveal 5 years of his tax returns, the state will not allow him on the 2020 Presidential ballot. Is this legal? I know Trump dumps laws, like using the military for police duties, that his adherents think is okey-dokey. But I doubt this will get by without notice. Does anybody know what this is about? I don't see how this can be done, but I have to assume there are legislators in Illinois that know the law better than I who agreed to the bill. Sadly, laws and traditions don't mean much anymore.

I looked to see if there is a thread on this, but found none. Hope I didn't miss it in error
Our gov breaks the laws they pass every single day! Example the illegal immigration situation.

On what premise? The State of Illinois has the right to regulate elections in its state. You can deprive people of their right to vote depending on certain circumstances. Why couldn't a person be deprived of their right to run for not meeting certain qualifications, like making their tax returns available? A candidate's privacy in that regard should not have the same protection afforded the average citizen.
Making tax returns public is not a law, it’s a democrat whim.

So you would be ok for Illinois saying the requirements for president would only be a female between the ages of 8 years old and 15 years old who had blond hair????

When it comes to electing a president, they either abide by the FEDERAL LAWS, or their electoral votes shouldn't be counted, period.

I actually hope you radicals try and pull some this like this. It'll make the entire nation see just what kind of radical corrupt trash you people are.

What if the State of Florida told the democrat nominee he or she would not be on the ballot because they refuse to uphold immigration laws?

So you would be ok for Illinois saying the requirements for president would only be a female between the ages of 8 years old and 15 years old who had blond hair????

That would violate the constitution

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

When it comes to electing a president, they either abide by the FEDERAL LAWS, or their electoral votes shouldn't be counted, period.

I actually hope you radicals try and pull some this like this. It'll make the entire nation see just what kind of radical corrupt trash you people are.

What Fed law would be violated?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Maybe another state could demand that all presidential candidates prove that they have a soul so that Hillary could never be on their ballot.

Slippery slope.

Beyond that, who cares, Illinois is as blue as they come. Trump has as much chance of winning here without his name on the ballot as he does with it.

The state is broke and sinking, and this is taken up by the legislature so they can look like they're doing something other than raise taxes. Fucking imbeciles.

Not familiar with how the state laws work in Illinois but it's been done before, sort of. In 1948 Strom Thurmond's Dixiecrat party got Thurmond listed as the Democratic Party candidate in four different states, knocking the party's candidate Truman off the ballot.

Actually there's no federal law that says there has to be an election at all.

CHEAT is the only plan the radical left has left for 2020, but this won't work. They try this shit and the feds just won't count their electoral votes then.

Two can play those games.

Oh I'm afraid they'd have to. All the Constitution requires is that the state send Electors, which are chosen however the state wants to choose them. Doesn't even require an election.

What if the State of Florida told the democrat nominee he or she would not be on the ballot because they refuse to uphold immigration laws?

They prolly could do that, but not on that basis.

You see, a nominee doesn't uphold any laws. They're not in a position to.

Wanna put a requirement in place, make all the sumbitches running for any office above class president submit to a standardized polygraph test.

Forum List

Back