I have never forgotten you.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
I Have Never Forgotten You: The Life & Legacy of Simon Wiesenthal (2007)

"I Have Never Forgotten You" is a comprehensive look at the life and legacy of Simon Wiesenthal, the famed Nazi hunter and humanitarian. Narrated by Academy Award winning actress Nicole Kidman, it features interviews with longtime Wiesenthal associates, government leaders from around the world, friends and family members--many of whom have never discussed the legendary Nazi hunter and humanitarian on camera.

Previously unseen archival film and photos also highlight the film. What was the driving force behind his work? What kept him going when for years the odds were against his efforts? What is his legacy today, more than 60 years after the end of World War Two? Written by Richard Trank

USC Shoah Foundation Interview, 1997
"It was on May 5th, at 10 o'clock in the morning." "Even beforehand, we knew that it was going to happen." "We had not gotten any food for the last few days. Nothing." "Prisoners were crawling out of the 'Death Block' and ate grass that grew (thumb and forefinger slightly apart) only this high. And so did I." (looks away...) "And then an American tank appeared. I went out and wanted to get to the tank." "After a couple of steps on all fours...all I could see was the American flag." -Simon Wiessenthal

Colonel Richard Seibel, 1907-1999
Commander, US 11th Armored Division-

(sighs heavily) "It was something that I had never hoped in my life, to see, or experience." "I was shocked, really and truly shocked...to see these dead people lying around in piles like wood, if you will...and others so sick and so weak they were truly walking zombies..."

---

I started to tear up at the mention of Wiessenthal being on all fours and looking up at the American flag.

I Have Never Forgotten You: The Life & Legacy of Simon Wiesenthal (2007)

"I Have Never Forgotten You" is a comprehensive look at the life and legacy of Simon Wiesenthal, the famed Nazi hunter and humanitarian. Narrated by Academy Award winning actress Nicole Kidman, it features interviews with longtime Wiesenthal associates, government leaders from around the world, friends and family members--many of whom have never discussed the legendary Nazi hunter and humanitarian on camera.

Previously unseen archival film and photos also highlight the film. What was the driving force behind his work? What kept him going when for years the odds were against his efforts? What is his legacy today, more than 60 years after the end of World War Two? Written by Richard Trank

USC Shoah Foundation Interview, 1997
"It was on May 5th, at 10 o'clock in the morning." "Even beforehand, we knew that it was going to happen." "We had not gotten any food for the last few days. Nothing." "Prisoners were crawling out of the 'Death Block' and ate grass that grew (thumb and forefinger slightly apart) only this high. And so did I." (looks away...) "And then an American tank appeared. I went out and wanted to get to the tank." "After a couple of steps on all fours...all I could see was the American flag." -Simon Wiessenthal

Colonel Richard Seibel, 1907-1999
Commander, US 11th Armored Division-

(sighs heavily) "It was something that I had never hoped in my life, to see, or experience." "I was shocked, really and truly shocked...to see these dead people lying around in piles like wood, if you will...and others so sick and so weak they were truly walking zombies..."

---

I started to tear up at the mention of Wiessenthal being on all fours and looking up at the American flag.

The Americans put a Polish Communist in charge of permits for entering and leaving the former camp...what transpires is truly horrible. But Mr. Wiessenthal moves on...

the rest is history.

A book I picked up ages ago. I had no idea how profoundly it would change my life, but change my life it did.

The Theory and Practice of Hell: The German Concentration Camps and the System Behind Them
Eugen Kogon

The author was confined to the Buchenwald Concentration Camp and spent over seven years in Nazi prisons and camps. In this book he intended to lay out the structure and social organization, the ritual degradation of prisoners from day one, the relentless daily routine, labor, sanitation, health, physical exercise, discipline, punishment and murder in the camps. He originally tried to avoid a personal account of his activities, but eventually included his strife and relentless efforts to help others. Covering a wide area of atrocities against the Jews, the Gypsies and other “Undesirables”, the author reveals the complete Nazi concentration camp.

Every step of their confinement has been detailed from their morning routines to their very extreme labors under terrible conditions of starvation and extreme thirst. Then, in many cases, a bullet was the final solution. For example, a group of Jehovah’s Witnesses at the camp refused conscription into the German military at the outbreak of the war. Forty were shot and killed as a warning to the others. Of course, it wasn’t only the Witnesses; the Nazi’s were very democratic and fair - they killed anyone and everyone without hesitation, Jews, Poles, Czechs, Gypsies, and homosexuals.

I think it was the first detailed book on the system...I think it was paid for by the Allies, and Kogon was not a Jew...not that it should matter, but when i would tell people about the book, the fact that Kogon was not a Jew, got people to be more open to what he had written. odd, eh? Oh yeah, Kogon became a German politician...I know he was an anti-Nazi activist before his camp days. Union of Persecutees of the Nazi Regime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some who believe Simon Wiesenthal was little more than a glib con man who capitalized on his experience in the camps by imaginatively pandering to worldwide curiosity about that ugly piece of history and making the most of it.

The following is excerpted from a Daily Mail (U.K.) article:

[...]

"TV programmes and movies were made, and soon Wiesenthal became a household name, a symbol for the triumph of hope over evil.

Those who thrilled at his life story can now do so once more, thanks to a new biography written by the Israeli historian Tom Segev.

The figure who emerges in the book is far more complex than one might expect. Dr Segev shows that so much of Wiesenthal’s account of his life was the product of exaggeration and self-mythologising.

Appearing on Radio 4’s Today programme this week, the author said Wiesenthal was ‘a storyteller, a man who lived between reality and fantasy’.

He excused Wiesenthal’s inclination to fabricate stories about his past,saying it was his way of making it easier to deal with the real atrocities he had experienced in the concentration camps. I’m sorry, but this compassionate approach simply does not wash with me. For the truth is that the great Nazi hunter is far, far worse than Dr Segev makes out.

In my view, Simon Wiesenthal was a liar and a fraud. In fact, I’d go so far as to say he was one of the biggest conmen of the 20th century.

I spent four years working on a history of Nazi-hunting that was published last year, and the material I gathered on Wiesenthal was enough to make me scream out loud.

When I started my book, I too believed that the great man was just that — great.

But when I looked at all his memoirs, biographies and original archive material, I realised that, like so many others, the image I had built up of Simon Wiesenthal was hopelessly incorrect."

[...]

Why I believe the king of the Nazi hunters, Simon Wiesenthal, was a fraud | Mail Online

Last edited:

Forum List

Back